PDA

View Full Version : Dimiter: New Friedkin / Blatty Film?

Daniel M
09-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Word around the campfire has it that these two may be teaming up to create a film based on WPB's new novel DIMITER. I've done a search here and on the 'Net but haven't found much substantiation. Anyone have details?

Friedkin interviews Blatty on DIMITER for his HuffPost blog: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/william-friedkin/a-quiet-little-thriller_b_637023.html

The novel's Wiki page asserts Friedkin is on board to direct: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimiter

Troy Howarth
09-12-2010, 10:48 PM
I'm keen on the previous film they did together... it was just a little film, but some people may have heard of it. :D Anyway, I hope it comes together!

Jon Houghton
09-13-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm keen on the previous film they did together... it was just a little film, but some people may have heard of it. :D Anyway, I hope it comes together!

I seem to recall hearing about a previous movie they worked on together. wasn't it some sort of G-rated, wholesome family film? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

John G.
09-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Is Friedkin religious? He comes across kind of sarcastic (endearingly so!) in that brief interview. :)

Anyway, I liked the film more for Friedkin's style and the human drama rather than Blatty's preachy message... I hope this new film features more of the former rather than the latter.

Troy Howarth
09-13-2010, 02:27 PM
IIRC, he was raised Jewish but he has long been either agnostic or flatout atheist.

Daniel M
09-13-2010, 04:45 PM
^ He's a longtime agnostic who, when pressed, will admit a certain admiration for those with the capacity to "believe." This has probably helped his relationship with the uber-religious Blatty endure over the years, despite some creative differences along the way.

R_Strange
09-13-2010, 06:47 PM
On the basis of his full endorsement of the sillier, preachier extended cut of The Exorcist, I reckon Blatty's shown him the light. God help him. ;)

As John Gargo alludes to, I think the marriage between absolute faith and agnosticism is partly what makes the original cut of The Exorcist so damn compelling.

Troy Howarth
09-13-2010, 07:31 PM
^ He's a longtime agnostic who, when pressed, will admit a certain admiration for those with the capacity to "believe."

Sounds like me! :D

Troy Howarth
09-13-2010, 07:31 PM
On the basis of his full endorsement of the sillier, preachier extended cut of The Exorcist, I reckon Blatty's shown him the light. God help him. ;)

As John Gargo alludes to, I think the marriage between absolute faith and agnosticism is partly what makes the original cut of The Exorcist so damn compelling.

I don't think he's ever endorsed it to that degree... he merely went along with Blatty's desire to present HIS version of the film. I can respect that.

R_Strange
09-13-2010, 07:57 PM
I remember reading a comment from him recently where he essentially states "Blatty was right. I was wrong”, going on to christen the extended version the official director's cut.

I certainly respect his decision -- it's his film -- but I do disagree, quite a bit. Thankfully, we've a choice with the upcoming blu-ray.

Daniel M
09-14-2010, 05:09 PM
^ I believe WF's comment was in reference to reinstating the scene where Von Sydow states that the demon's target isn't the possessed, but those around the possessed. It's a key scene in the novel.

Blatty may have wanted it reinstated for spiritual reasons, but Friedkin has also stated it gives greater resonance to Blair's taunts about Father Karras' mother ("You left her to DIE!"), and saw it as reinforcing the dramatic weight of their scenes together.

Troy Howarth
09-14-2010, 06:03 PM
I think you're right, Daniel. The point of the scene isn't so much its "spiritual message" as it is the way it reinforces the drama. I like all the added scenes with Von Sydow very much... the rest, less so.