PDA

View Full Version : Do your parents watch cult movies?

Fred Anderson
09-12-2010, 10:46 AM
And with "cult movies" I mean non-mainstream genre movies from all over the world.

My mother actually started watching Jackie Chan in the nineties, got hooked on the fighting and watches a lot of martial arts (she's 64 today). Last christmas I gave her a box with three samurai-movies, one of them was Shogun Assassin...

A couple of weeks after she called me, and she just watched it together with her husband. "I like the other ones, Fred, but Shogun Assassin... it was soooo good! I think it's the best Asian movie I've seen so far!". Exactly those words, but in Swedish.

It made me happy anyway :)

Emanuele Sheriff
09-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Wow, you've got a cool mum. My (Italian) mum dismisses Italian genre flicks as "trash" most of the time.

Peter Leigh
09-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Yes, my dad is a big cult movie fan and he always wants to borrow my dvd's. I first saw Dont Torture a Duckling, Shogun Assassin, Contraband, House By the Cemetery, Django Kill, The Last Hunter with him.

Cannibal Holocaust was a bit too much for him though.

My mum hates them and won't even look at the covers. :D

Zane C.
09-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Yeah! They particularly like Spaghetti Westerns and action movies!

NickM
09-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Hello everyone new here. Awesome place!

My dad digs on cult movies, he got me into genre films when I was just a youngin.

Troy Howarth
09-12-2010, 02:14 PM
My dad enjoys the Sergio Leone westerns, but he's not keen on horror. My mom loves horror movies, but of the more mainstream variety - she doesn't understand my fixation on the Italian stuff, for example. Still, it was her interest in horror and her willingness to let me watch Hammer and Universal horrors on TV as a very young kid that created my love for the genre.

Fred Anderson
09-12-2010, 02:20 PM
I can blame my interest in horror on my mother, who let me see all the Universal Classics at a very tender age. I was scared, but I loved them. And the rest is history.

Troy Howarth
09-12-2010, 02:28 PM
My dad may not be keen on horror, but I should note he suffered through a lot of them with me back in the day... I can even remember him taking me to see one of the Friday the 13th movies after I was done with my little league game! :D

George P
09-12-2010, 02:54 PM
My parents were not cult movie fans. That said my mom is a mystery/thriller fan so she doesn't have trouble with darker films. (Which lead to uncomfortable situations like seeing Blue Velvet with her.) She was the one who suggested NOTLD as a movie I'd like. Pretty bold recommendation to make to an eleven year old. Okay probably not. I was a fixture in front of the tube every saturday afternoon for a steady diet of hammer films and vintage monster movies at a young age. My dad really didn't like horror. His tastes were more mainstream and slanted towards action movies and westerns. So he was a booster for Eastwood. As I write this it strikes me that some would become cult movies much later. The biggest thing they did was allow me to choose what I wanted to see. I mean the number of showings of Repo Man that were subjected to would test anyone's patience. The odd post script to this ramble is that eventually my dad bought a copy of Repo Man for his VHS collection. His excuse was simple: It's a classic.

g.

Amy B
09-12-2010, 04:26 PM
My dad rented the Evil Dead movies and Basket Case for me on video when I was just a kid. Messed me up for life, haha. Nah, I still love those movies. I probably watch a lot of weirder stuff than my dad. Any time I was home from college I'd catch him borrowing stuff I had, though.

Steve R
09-12-2010, 05:21 PM
One day while playing as kids, we ran up to a friend's apartment
to grab a quick soda pop. There was his dad lounging in a big ol' easy
chair watching Charlie Chan. His dad was full Chinese. That struck me
as kinda odd, even then. I mean Chan was played by Warner Oland and those other guys. His dad loved those film and particularly got a kick out
of number one son. That whole Summer they ran those Charlie Chan
films on weekend afternoons and his dad dug 'em all.

It's ok to like what you like.

Tim Mayer
09-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Took my dad to see THE ROAD WARRIOR when it first hit the screen.

KennethR
09-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Growing up my parents always took me to see horror movies and weird movies. My dad was always watching stuff like the Omega Man and the Warriors on TV.

Now neither parent is really all that into that kind of thing, I think it was just a product of them being in their mid 20s when I was a kid more than anything

R_Strange
09-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Generally, my dad was once a bit of a horror fiend, so we would often sit down as a family to wacth a nice kid-friendly horror flick ;) like Return Of The Living Dead or The Shining.

As an adult, I've seen films like Ichi The Killer and Bad Boy Bubby with my parents. Curiously, not quite as uncomfortable an experience as you'd expect... but they're fairly open-minded folks with a devilish sense of humour, so...

John G.
09-13-2010, 09:52 AM
I remember both parents being traumatized by Cronenberg's THE FLY and asking why I wanted to watch such "sick" movies. And that is a mainstream horror film. :)

Brian Lindsey
09-13-2010, 10:28 AM
My folks are in their 70s, so there's not a whole lot of cult movie viewing going on with them.

However...

My mom actually likes Tarantino pics -- especially PULP FICTION! (Although I don't believe she's seen DEATH PROOF, INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS or the KILL BILLs.)

My dad -- a very straightlaced old school Republican type -- enjoyed PLANET TERROR. (That surprised me.)

During the glory days of VHS (early-mid 1990s), my stepdad sat down with me and watched DAWN OF THE DEAD, DAY OF THE DEAD, EVIL DEAD and ARMY OF DARKNESS. His reaction to each was "Well, that was different"... except for ARMY OF DARKNESS. ("What the fuck was that?")

Troy Howarth
09-13-2010, 10:29 AM
My dad's a Tarantino fan, too, and he also loves Scorsese movies. Among horror films, he does love the Lugosi Dracula and Polanski's Fearless Vampire Killers.

Keith B.
09-13-2010, 10:43 AM
My uncle was a big horror nut and when I was a kid he took me along to the movies for a real plethora of prime 80's horror cinema......CITY OF THE WALKING DEAD, GATES OF HELL, PIECES, REANIMATOR, and countless others. I still remember the opening night of DAY OF THE DEAD at New Carrolton Cinemas.....audience members dressed like zombies, promotional giveaways, and when the movie started the entire crowd cheered in anticipation.

Jon Houghton
09-13-2010, 11:43 AM
my mom's idea of a "cult" movie would be a movie about an actual cult(yeah she has no clue). but she also covers her eyes and gets freaked out if something suspenseful is going on in an Alfred Hitchcock movie. my dad was never really into watching movies of any kind(he died last October) except when he would sit down to watch stuff with the family and he could never figure out where my love for this stuff comes from.

Jack J
09-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Me being a teen watching Frankenstein on TV and having this conversation:

Mum: Do you like watching him? (points to the monster)

Me: uh, it's a good movie. I like the movie.

Mum: but do you like to look at HIM? (i.e. he was gross)

Me: well, no, but it's a good movie. I like the movie.

Mum: but do you like to look at HIM?

Me: well, but...

Mum: So why do you watch it if you don't like to look at him!

My parents were never into horror films and never understood my love for it. When I was a kid in the 70s, my dad did take me to see "cult" films like THE GREEN HORNET (the Bruce Lee film), ALIEN, the STAR WARS movies, etc. but I never felt they cared about the films. I accept it. People are different but it would have been cool to share my love with them.

Having said that, they did quite liked thrillers like old Hitchcock and cop shows on TV in the 70s so that was cool. Later they became more sensitive to the violence and more or less stopped watching it.

David F
09-13-2010, 12:49 PM
My Mom certainly did. She helped shape my view of film tremendously.

RichardDoyle
09-13-2010, 04:37 PM
My dad had pretty good taste in movies (he died about 7 years ago). He liked Sergio Leone westerns, Kubrick's films ... I remember him going to see "Apocalypse Now" by himself in 1979. He couldn't stand horror films though. He really had a lot to do with shaping my early taste for good films, and in later years when I was more of the expert, he saw stuff like Tarantino's films on my recommendation and enjoyed them.

Edit: I forgot one big exception ... my dad loved "Dawn of the Dead", which he saw because I rented on VHS in 1983.

My mother's taste has expanded in recent years (she saw "The Hurt Locker" with us, which would have been unthinkable in the past), but she mostly likes very conventional stuff.

Emanuele Sheriff
09-13-2010, 07:23 PM
I do recall an instance back in the 70's when we were living in W.Germany that my dad, to kill some time I guess, took me to see that Goku movie from Japan. That made quite an impression! And also during that period German TV would show the classic Edgar Wallace krimis every week which we'd all sit down and watch together ( happy times). My folks did enjoy mysteries and the odd western along with artier fair,too. But explicit horror or skin was verboten 'til I got older.

Terry Carpenter
09-14-2010, 06:08 AM
Like a few others here my father is into westerns big-time(although not a huge movie fan), so the Leone films instantly come to mind. Whenever The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly came on TV he'd be right there watching the whole thing through. I don't think he's seen all that many Spaghetti Westerns though.

Now my mom was pretty lenient on what I watched as a kid. She's not a big movie watcher either, but she was actually the one who let me rent(and recommended) Porky's as a kid. So I was a pretty happy child to say the least...

Robin Bougie
09-14-2010, 09:08 AM
My mom *REALLY* likes TRUE STORIES, by David Byrne. That is pretty culty.

She's also really really into old episodes of MIAMI VICE, too. My ol' mom is kinda funny.

Chad Haden
09-14-2010, 09:40 AM
My mom had alot to do with shaping my taste in films, she was a horror film nut and took me to see all kinds of things as a tyke like Evil Dead and Chainsaw plus she'd rent anything that Empire of Full Moon put out. My dad sat me down at the age of 7 to watch The Three Stooges and Monty Python with him so I guess he shaped my taste for comedy

Bill M
09-15-2010, 11:41 AM
im an old fogie parent and watch them ..does that count?

Blake L.
09-15-2010, 12:01 PM
I would say no overall, even if I did watch a lot of old Sci-Fi and 70's action (largely Bruce Lee) with my dad when I was a kid. KTVU Channel 2 showed great flicks in the evenings when I was younger.

The one time my parents tried to sit down and watch a cult flick with me was when I was probably about 15 or 16. I used to walk down to the local Blockbuster (which, contrary to what is commonly written, had an awesome Horror section) or Play It Again Video (mom & pop shop) and rent 4 or 5 movies every weekend.

Well, one of the many times that I rented The Evil Dead, mom and dad decided that it was time to sit down with me and try to have a movie night with me on my terms (ie I picked the movie).

They were completely silent during the film. They never watched one of "my" movies with me again. ;)

Kieran M
09-15-2010, 12:56 PM
My parents, bless them, have always had a slightly twisted side. They did, after all, scare the everlovin' shit out of me at the tender age of 6 by taking me and my (older) sisters to see cheesefest THE CAR in the theater upon it's release!
They do still indulge in the occasional cult film (although on the decidedly mainstream-side of cult). They still talk lovingly about watching "TOXIC AVENGER" and "RE-ANIMATOR"; for reference, they're now 69 and 65 years of age.

Toby T.
09-16-2010, 12:06 PM
To quote my mom: "-Id like to take every movie you have in your room and throw them in the trash" :(

My dad is pretty cool with it. I have early memories of watching the Leone/Eastwood-films with him as a wee one, and I still love them to death. Clint Eastwood-movies in general is a big hit with him (and me for that matter). Mostly hes a big Steve Mcqueen-fan. I remember watching Bullit with him at a young age. But Im completely indifferent to McQueen (Wooden, bland, uncool). Instead we bond over Clint and Im totally cool with that.

Ive shown him some Jackie Chan stuff and other old kung fu-films and he likes them, even if hes not ecstatic. He really loved Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon and the tv-show Martial Law with Sammo Hung, though.

Also, I think its pretty cool he thought Commando (Arnie) was a complete hoot.

Tim Mayer
09-16-2010, 11:31 PM
The other day I was watching the conclusion to HARDWARE on Blu-ray when my 17-year-old football player came in the house. He stared at the screen for a few minutes, said "Dad, where do you find this crap?", and left the room.

Frankie T.
09-17-2010, 06:20 AM
My Stepdad still watches a lot of Martial Arts/Shaw Bros. films. He's the sole reason why I got into Shaw Bros. films, John Woo, Jackie Chan and countless others in the first place.

My uncle used to. I remember when I was in Elementary School he came over with a copy of "Shocking Asia" on VHS to show all his Nieces/Nephews haha

Randy Thomas G
09-17-2010, 08:54 AM
My parents watched a lot of horror films and cult when I was renting them as a teen. They were pretty tolerant considering.

Fred Anderson
09-17-2010, 09:14 AM
My mother and father is divorced since the early eighties, so I've spent a lot time at my fathers place when I was a child. We always rented movies, and I could always pick one movie - and I only choose b-action, unwanted sequels and stuff that had monsters and explosions in it. So I guess he, in that simple way, helped me shape my taste in movies.

But he's a cool guy too. He smoked weed with Eric Clapton in the sixities, which say a lot about his personality :)

Daniel Robinette
09-18-2010, 08:29 PM
They won't admit to it but my parents and my Uncle Eric shaped my taste in cinema. I was 4 years old when I watched my first slasher movie. I remember it like it was yesterday. My uncle Eric was babysitting me and he asked me if I wanted to watch Friday the 13th part 6 with him. I remember watching it and every time there was a kill scene he would try to cover my eyes but I would bite his hand each time that he just gave up. From that day I was hooked.

My dad and I would watch movies religiously. He would take my brother and I to the video store every Friday and we were pretty much allowed to watch anything we wanted to. I remember watching all the Schwarzenegger films and Stallone films and all the cheesy action films that came out in the 80's. My dad won't admit it but he was the one who got me into cult and exploitation cinema. I remember going down to the basement/family room and my dad said that a great movie was coming on. I asked him what it was and he said The Warriors. I believe I was 8 or 9 at the time. I watched it and couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing. My best memories of childhood revolve watching movies with my dad. We also used to watch all night marathons of Mystery Science Theater when cable tv was actually worth a shit.

I know this is getting long but one last thing about my dad. He is the Whitest bread man you could ever meet but I can bet he loves Blacksploitation cinema more than any person on this forum.

Howard Farmer
09-19-2010, 12:01 AM
Oh hell yes, dad is 85 in a few weeks and we're going to watch Conquest tonight. We'll watch just about anything together. Just went through a cheapo 8 pack of Drive-In movies that I got at Borders, Trip With The Teacher, The Trip, etc. He's had The Italian Stallion VHS on his shelf for over 20 years. :cool:

Steve Greenfield
09-20-2010, 02:07 AM
When I was 6 my parents took me and my sister and Grandma to a drive-in in the south to see Ron Ormond's "The Monster And The Stripper".

Can't get more "cult movie" than that!

Ian Miller
09-20-2010, 05:50 AM
I think Steve wins!

Alex K.
09-20-2010, 06:37 AM
I took my dad to see Cannibal Holocaust during it's revival screening when I was 15...

And last year he watched Black Caesar with me.

Do I win?

Magnus Wersen
09-20-2010, 10:54 AM
My mother loathes everything that isn't new or Dances With Wolves. My father is a big fan of the Evil Dead trilogy and old hokey Sci-Fi movies. He called Cannibal Holocaust a "matinee movie" but almost fainted with horror when he saw Cronenberg's The Fly at the cinema. He's a bit weird come to think of it...:)