PDA

View Full Version : Four Lions (Chris Morris) 2010

Jason Lee
09-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Anyone else seen this one?

Chris Morris (Brass Eye / The Day Today/ Jam) made a comedy/ drama movie about Muslim terrorists..

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yszKc4m-W9U?fs=1&amp;hl=ko_KR"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yszKc4m-W9U?fs=1&amp;hl=ko_KR" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

It's very good and treads a VERY fine line (as does most of Mr Morriss' output)...Its all fun and games until the ending when the realisation of what they are doing dawns on them...well, not all of them....

I thoroughly enjoyed it...not sure how places such as the United States woudl react to it though....it is definitely a British vibe of black comedy

Emanuele Sheriff
09-06-2010, 06:10 PM
I think it's getting released on DVD shortly so I'm looking forward to it. I love Chris Morris.

Aaron G
09-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Yeah it's in the cinemas here. I just got it. Looks funny.

Richard Owen
09-07-2010, 12:54 AM
I think it's getting released on DVD shortly so I'm looking forward to it. I love Chris Morris.

It was released last week.

Jason Lee
09-08-2010, 09:26 AM
I enjoyed it a lot...some of the interactions and things they come out with are VERY funny...and Chris Morris says some of this stuff was took from REAL GENUINE examples the police collected while tailing "suspicious" groups...

Not sure it is a movie that NEEDS to be seen in the theater though...

It took him about 4 years to completely finish this movie....I hope he directs his next movie in a shorter timeframe (though I guess most producers dont want to touch his stuff...too close to the line for most)

Emanuele Sheriff
09-08-2010, 07:25 PM
It was released last week.

IT WAS? Holy shit-kebabs!

Aaron G
09-09-2010, 08:29 AM
I just watched this...Ultimately i reckon it could have been FUNNIER, but that's just me. Reminded me of a cross between an ALI G skit and DOG DAY AFTERNOON. Sure it's a black comedy, but it's also plays itself quite seriously. I just felt it was too earnest in places, and I didn't quite get the motivation of the main character OMAR...Also I'm not really a stickler for English accents, but there were times when I felt the film needed subtitles, some of the dialgoue was too rapid in the thick midland Asian-English accent,sure it's 'authentic' but it made me lose important plot points....

I'd describe it as an 'oddity' that doesn't quite hit the mark but has a few really funny moments.

I dunno, maybe they shoulda got MEL BROOKS to help write it?:p

Emanuele Sheriff
09-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Yeah, the theatrical reviews were a bit hit and miss over here but, hey, any new Morris project is worth investigating.

R_Strange
09-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Exploding sheep? I'm in.

A massive fan of Chris Morris. Brass Eye is possibly the ultimate media satire, and Jam is just... demented.

Jason Lee
09-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Exploding sheep? I'm in.

A massive fan of Chris Morris. Brass Eye is possibly the ultimate media satire, and Jam is just... demented.

You will appreciate this movie then..as I feel ONLY Chris Morris could have pulled it off..his signature is alll over it!!

Marc Edward Heuck
11-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Just saw it today in a theatre. Really enjoyed it. Eminently quotable.

"We shot the right man, but the wrong man blew himself up."

"Jews invented spark plugs to control global traffic."

Jason Lee
11-08-2010, 04:50 AM
I read a few (US) reviews of it and it seems like it is going over very well over there in The USA...There was a chance that this movie could have gone wrong..but Morris knows what he was doing...

Chris Morris is a GENIUS at this stuff, he does it so well.....it's a shame he's not more productive (time wise)...but his stuff is always worth waiting for...

Adam L
11-09-2010, 12:37 AM
I interviewed Chris Morris last week. Here's the podcast (http://www.regrettablesincerity.com/?p=6023).

Alex M
02-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Bump.

Some great quotes (MILD SPOILERS) :

Sniper: [into walkie-talkie] The bear is down. Repeat, the bear is down.
[to other sniper]
Sniper: We got the bear.
Sniper: I think that's a Wookie. That's a Wookie!
Sniper: No it's not! It's a bear!
Sniper: [into walkie-talkie] Is a Wookie a bear, Control?

Hassan: [Raps] I'm the Mujahideen and I'm making a scene / Now you's gonna feel what the boom-boom means / It's like Tupac said, "When I die, I'm not dead"/ We are the martyrs, you're just smashed tomatoes / Allahu Akbar!

Ed: [conversing on the phone] Right so what sort of girls are you into, then, Waj?
Waj: I don't know. Ones with big jubblies and that.
Ed: Yeah? You like them big, Waj? Yeah.
Waj: And nice fit arses, too, man.
Ed: You're an arse man, aren't you, Waj? I knew you were, bro. You're an arse man. You're a massive arse man.
Waj: What are you saying?
Ed: I'm saying you're an arse man, Waj.
Waj: You giving me batty chirps, bro? You calling me a whammer?
Ed: No.
Waj: Fuck off!
[Ends phone conversation]
Waj: Fucking Boy George!

Love it