PDA

View Full Version : I Got To Met Iggy and The Stooges!

Edwin Samuelson
09-06-2010, 01:03 AM
http://i21.servimg.com/u/f21/15/61/86/97/eddie_10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=1&u=15618697)

Thanks to all the members of the forum who supported me in the contest to film The Stooges live at ATP. I was lucky to have filmed the show for a future bluray/DVD release. I was on the stage filming with 2 HD cameras. It was a hard shoot, but extremely rewarding.

All of the shots you see are stills from the video I shot for the film, so all of these images might make the final cut. I think the image looks great - I shot it with my new Canon t2i digital SLR camera. It was made as a still camera, but it also shoots video in full 1080p. The quality is so good that some Hollywood movies are being shot with these cameras. The best part is the price $900! Anyway, let me stop talking like a nerd about tech stuff.

There was only one spot on stage to shoot, so I grabbed it. It wasn't the best angle (to the right of Scott's drum kit behind the amp) to film, but I did my best to make it work. I had two cameras: One camera mounted on a tripod that I used to focus on Scott. I only tilted the camera occasionally to change angles, but only Scott is on that cam. My other camera was handheld and I focused on the rest of the band, and got some great shots. I shot Iggy's back and the crowd reacting. You can see a little of what I was going for in the pics.

After the show we did an interview with the band minus Mike, who I wish was there. I asked the same question that I asked on my submission video. After that I asked Scott a lame question about the differences on drumming between Raw Power and Funhouse. I did this because I wanted him to feel involved. Thankfully, he gave a great answer. After filming The Stooges preforming Raw Power, we got to interview Iggy, James Williamson and Scott Asheton for an hour. Afterwards to get to get a picture with the band. Bob Gruen(!) came in and took some photos as well, which I have yet to see. If you don't know who he is, you don't know rock music. He's the one who took the infamous John Lennon NYC T-Shirt photo!

Also, I want to thank the good people are MVD who were extremely kind during a most difficult shoot.

mark t
09-06-2010, 11:57 AM
following this on facebook, Edwin! glad that you won the competition, and I was happy to vote for your video. That's pretty awesome, and i'm impressed that you managed to grab a spot on the stage and interview the guys after. Nice work!

Edwin Samuelson
09-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Thank you, Mark. I hope you liked the images I posted. I'm so glad I got to do this. Thankfully, I did this before my back went out again, which happened last night. The show was an amazing experience. I was truly blessed to have be involved.

John G.
09-06-2010, 12:11 PM
That's so cool Edwin... congrats! :)

Edwin Samuelson
09-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Thank you. When the disc comes out, you'll know my shots as I was the only one who shot from the stage. Thank God I had two cameras!

Jack J
09-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Somehow I've managed to miss all the commotion about this but congrats with it all in any case, Edwin! Gee, on stage filming The Stooges. Awesome! :cool:

Edwin Samuelson
09-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Thank you all. If you want to see some photos I shot, add me as a friend on Facebook. I think I got some great images.

Alex K.
09-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Damn dude, nice. I've always wanted to meet Iggy Pop and talk about his days on Pete and Pete.

Aaron G
09-06-2010, 06:45 PM
That's fucken ace! IK just got the RAW POWER remaster. James Williamson looks like a middle-manager!

RichardDoyle
09-09-2010, 05:36 PM
That's fucken ace! IK just got the RAW POWER remaster. James Williamson looks like a middle-manager!

Do you mean the new Legacy Edition remaster? I think it's pretty amazing.

Congrats Edwin.

mark t
09-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Caught Iggy and the Stooges with Ron Asheton last night on a rerun of the Rollins show. Great stuff, even if my girl was weirded out by the package that Iggy was carrying in his red yoga pants. :D

Jonny S
09-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Do you mean the new Legacy Edition remaster? I think it's pretty amazing.
I didn't realise that the original mix had been remastered and re-released. That Iggy mix was hilariously bad and totally incompetent. I actually thought my stereo was fucked when I played that CD for the first time. The waveform comparison on this page (http://ex-libris.ca/?p=231) is hilarious. I'm glad to say I still have the original vinyl L.P. but I'll probably pick up the new remaster as well.

Congratulations Edwin! I look forward to the DVD. I wasn't all that keen on the last Stooges studio album but they've definitely still got it live.

mark t
09-10-2010, 10:12 AM
I didn't realise that the original mix had been remastered and re-released. That Iggy mix was hilariously bad and totally incompetent. I actually thought my stereo was fucked when I played that CD for the first time. The waveform comparison on this page (http://ex-libris.ca/?p=231) is hilarious. I'm glad to say I still have the original vinyl L.P. but I'll probably pick up the new remaster as well.

I still have it on vinyl, and agreed, that Iggy remix was something else. Haha. Sooooo bad. I also thought that my speakers were blown or something. The new remaster sounds fantastic. It's a nice balance between vocals and instrumentation, they ditched that annoying keyboard melody in Penetration, and the bonus CD that comes with the new 2 disc "Georgia Peaches" is a wickedly flawed boot of a Raw Power show that really lets you know what it was all about. Hard to believe that it was '73. Raw Power, remastered, balanced, whatever, is still an awesomely vicious document.

Jonny S
09-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Excellent, it sounds great. I'll definitely be grabbing a copy of this when I get some cash.

RichardDoyle
09-10-2010, 04:18 PM
I got rid of Iggy's mix without listening to all of the second song. I tracked down a copy of the original CD release on Amazon and was making due with that until this new version came out.

Since my main interest in buying it was just getting a better mix of the album, I was really pleasantly surprised by how great the 2nd disc was. I was expecting something more like "Metallic KO", but the sound is just phenomenal given the age of the recording.

Edwin Samuelson
09-11-2010, 03:32 PM
If you guys haven't picked up the remaster of Raw Power, you don't know what you're missing. The disc sounds better than ever and the extra disc with the live show is excellent. You can finally hear excellent recordings of Open Up and Bleed and Heavy Liquid. Run, don't walk to Amazon and order a copy ASAP!

mark t
09-13-2010, 08:34 AM
Well worth it. I think that i ended up finding it in HMV for 19.99 CAD, which is almost unheard of around these parts for a double disc. Good score, and a wicked product.