PDA

View Full Version : Only Telly could pull this shit off

Horace Cordier
09-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Looking for stuff on Savalas ande stumbled across this video.

Holy shit... this is almost as crazy as those Bronson Mandom commercials!

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J94-_w9ARX0?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J94-_w9ARX0?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

God I miss Telly.

Thomas D.
09-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Telly and Shat need to do a duet- "Cigarettes and Hushed Monotones"

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lul-Y8vSr0I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lul-Y8vSr0I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ryan O
09-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Wow. I don't know how to feel about that. :D

Troy Howarth
09-02-2010, 06:53 PM
I've said it before, but I'll say it again: so far as I'm concerned, Telly was the coolest son of a bitch ever to walk the Earth.

Steven Millan
09-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Telly could never do no wrong,whether it was making westerns and horror and action films,directing his own film(BEYOND REASON,a.k.a. MATI),or even adding class to MINDTWISTER(a Fred Olen Ray erotic thriller that plays like a T&A-filled KOJAK episode),for Telly truly was untouchable in everything that he did(on-screen).

Ray R
09-02-2010, 11:01 PM
"My name is Talky Tina, and I don't think I like you!!!" :)

paul h.
09-02-2010, 11:23 PM
You made my day.

Terry Carpenter
09-03-2010, 07:38 AM
It's too bad Telly never made a cologne. If he had though I'm sure the bottle would break instantly, from to much manliness being in one bottle.

Jason Lee
09-03-2010, 08:12 AM
It's too bad Telly never made a cologne. If he had though I'm sure the bottle would break instantly, from to much manliness being in one bottle.

I read stuff about him that mentions that he was even more charismatic in real life....

Troy Howarth
09-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Much like the man in the Dos Equis commercials, if Telly would have punched you in the face, you'd have to fight off a powerful urge to thank him...

Horace Cordier
09-03-2010, 11:50 AM
More classic Telly (Key moment at 1.18 in video):

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SCNDdTQBrpU?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SCNDdTQBrpU?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>
Imagine hanging out in Vegas with the man.

John G.
09-03-2010, 12:41 PM
"After that, it's bonus time baby!" :D

Thomas D.
09-03-2010, 12:46 PM
"After that, it's bonus time baby!" :D

SOLD!

Troy Howarth
09-03-2010, 01:15 PM
I still remember his ads for the Player's Club... they used to pop up all the time back in the day.

Emanuele Sheriff
09-03-2010, 07:10 PM
My brother worked in a Greek restaurant in Toronto for awhile and Telly dropped in, got very drunk and was seriously letching on the waitresses ( including numerous attempts at copping a feel ). Ah, the good ol' days...

Steve R
09-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Who Loves Ya, Baby?

Which came first? Kojak, Telly or the Lollipop?
I heard it was his idea.

Best Bond Villian?

Zane C.
09-03-2010, 11:50 PM
What, no love for Telly in spaghetti westerns?

He's great with James Coburn and Bud Spencer in the ultra-awesome A REASON TO LIVE, A REASON TO DIE, aka MASSACRE AT FORT HOLMAN.

THAT'S almost too much awesomeness for one movie.

Oh yeah, then there's A TOWN CALLED HELL.

Seriously, though, Telly's rendering of "If" is a true anomaly. How did this get made? Did Telly burst into a meeting HORROR EXPRESS-style and threaten a beatdown on someone to get this done? Anyone know the story behind this?

Cool, but also puzzling.

Albert P
09-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Pure madness... might even be better than the Shatner vid (?!). I like how the girl's face just sort of floats in, emotes tenderly, then is gone - so lovely.

Speaking of Telly westerns - does anyone remember the incredibly outre western comedy PANCHO VILLA aka VENDETTA? This is such an oddity, I'm always astounded that it doesn't have more of a cult. It's a pretty great bad movie with Telly as the great Revolutionary/Bandito/Rogue of Mexico - he even sings over the closing credits!

paul h.
09-04-2010, 02:20 PM
That lady has a really big head.

Jason Allen
09-05-2010, 08:15 AM
I'm completely blown away. Thanks, Horace!

Jim R.
09-16-2010, 04:50 AM
Yesterday I watched my parents dog while they were out of town for a few hours, and went upstairs where I kept a box of my old records. I had a KOJAK "book and record" set from Peter Pan Records from 1977 with two stories on a 33 1/3 rpm record! The book was an album sized comic book signed by Mell Keefer (never heard of him), and the album said the script was by David Dunn and produced by Arthur Korb. My parents record player wasn't working, so I just read the comics. The stories had violence, but bloodshed was kept to a minimum. After all, these stories were for kids! I guess they were watered-down TV episodes. I'm not sure. What do you guys think? Collector's item?

Jason Lee
09-16-2010, 07:54 AM
I'm not sure. What do you guys think? Collector's item?

Nope...not even the TINIEST chance of those being collectors items...

They are not even worth throwing away....

I will send you my address and you send them to me and I wil get rid of them for you....no trouble whatsoever..:cool:

(HEY ..and dont any of YOU LOT go telling him that i just saw some on E-BAY going for 25 bucks..or there will be TROUBLE!!!)

Jim R.
09-27-2010, 08:03 AM
Yesterday I watched my parents golden retriever again....the one I'm allergic to, that likes to jump on my lap and lick my face and glasses! Anyway, I got their record player working after a slow start, and played that KOJAK record. I'm not sure if that's really Telly Savalas' voice as Kojak or not. It might be a voice impersonator. Is there an expert in the house?

Jack J
10-06-2010, 11:24 AM
This afternoon, I caught an episode (#4) of a western TV series from 1967 called CIMMARRON STRIP on Swedish TV. The episode is called "Battleground" and has Telly Savalas and Warren Oates in it! The main character is played by Stuart Whitman and the show ran for 23 episodes (Telly was only in this one episode). I've never heard of this series before but it looked cool enough for me to check Amazon for a DVD release; Unfortunately, it seems there is none. Dvd-r's are listed on Amazon but for some reason they aren't "available" (seems slightly odd as all they'd have to do is burn some more!?). But anyway, do any of you know if there's an OOP release of the complete series or if one is on its way? (one that isn't OOP, haha). Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Cimarron-Strip-Battleground/dp/B000EE1NTY/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1286374087&sr=1-1

Marty McKee
10-07-2010, 12:11 AM
CIMARRON STRIP has never been legally released on DVD, but Netflix has it for instant streaming and Encore Westerns aired it over the summer.

Jack J
10-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks, Marty. Unfortunately, I'm outside of Netflix reach. :(