PDA

View Full Version : WISDOM (1986)

mark t
09-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Oh, First Choice Superchannel, how I loved you in the 80's.....one of the greatest things about having divorced parents was the alcoholic father who didn't give a shit what you watched on TV when you were over at his place. Thanks to Superchannel and his un-watchful eye, I was able to catch such winning films as TO LIVE AND DIE IN L.A, BLUE VELVET, and KANDYLAND. Okay, KANDYLAND might not have been so great a film, but hey, boobs when you're 12....you know.

One film , however, that stood out, was WISDOM. Starring Emilio Estevez and Demi Moore, it concerns a high school graduate who ends up with a felony charge on his record for grand theft auto, and subsequently can't keep a job. He ends up, with the help of Demi, robbing banks to destroy the mortgage and loan information, becoming a hero of the local farmers. For some reason, i watched the film over and over again, and absolutely LOVED it. Granted, I was big into stuff like THE OUTSIDERS, and Estevez was one of my favourite characters from that, but I haven't seen the film in probably 22 years.

I've noticed that it's available as part of the Warner archives...has anyone seen it recently? is it a good film in your opinion? Or, such as THE LAST STARFIGHTER was described in another thread, just a good memory from years ago that doesn't hold up?

Chad Haden
09-02-2010, 12:27 PM
I loved this movie when I was a kid, I'd be willing to give it another shot

Steven Millan
09-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Given tha this film made the record books as a film made by the youngest person since Orson Welles(since Emilio Estevez was in his early 20s at the time),I'm surprised that Warner Bros. only released this in their DVD-R line-up.

Thomas D.
09-02-2010, 05:47 PM
I saw this only a year ago or so for the first time, and I gotta admit; I thought it was terrible. There was a funny scene with Charlie yelling at and firing Emilio (they are always funny yelling at each other), but this struck me as some sort of ludicrous after school special, with a ridiculous cop out ending. It did indeed feel like it was directed by a twenty year old actor who didn't know what they were getting into.

mark t
09-03-2010, 09:23 AM
I didn't remember the end at all, I read about it on imdb. I remembered the shoot-out that led to the downfall part of the film, and I remember Emilio calling his dad (I think it was Tom Skerritt), but not the copout ending part.

Thanks for the input, Thomas. And Steven, i didn't realize that Emilio did it.

Clint C
09-03-2010, 10:41 AM
I remember loving WISDOM when I was a kid too.

Is there a scene where he goes to read his demands in the bank, and ends up accidently reading his grocery list? I thought that was pretty hilarious back in the day.

mark t
09-03-2010, 10:46 AM
I think that you're right, Clint. :) I may have to see if i can get this now. It's gonna bug me otherwise.

mark t
09-03-2010, 10:51 AM
I think that i just changed my mind. Are all of these Warner titles in the archive from Video masters???? For 20 bucks?

Thomas D.
09-03-2010, 11:25 AM
I think that i just changed my mind. Are all of these Warner titles in the archive from Video masters???? For 20 bucks?

Some are, but quite a few are regular DVD quality. The only old video masters (ones that were used for the VHS releases) I've heard about them using were for classic Hollywood stuff in 4X3. Wisdom is 16X9, so that tells me that it's probably a fairly recent quality master. However, since you're in Canada, it costs $15 to ship (!), at least directly from Warner's (I guess Amazon stocks it also). So, you're actually talking about $35 bucks or so for a DVD-R :) There's always VHS...

mark t
09-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Yeah, and that's the way that i think i'm going. I kinda want it, but i don't 35 dollars want it. :)

Jonathan Douglas
09-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Still don't have that archive disc, but did watch the film again some time ago liking it still very much. His 'alien' parents Tom Skerritt and Veronica Cartwright give it all a lot of class, rumour has it also Robert Wise directed portions of the film. The ending I guess is up for interpretation what exactly it ends with, but I've never downplayed my liking for Emilio I think he's great, one can only love those 80s/90s gems like STAKEOUT, YOUNG GUNS, JUDGMENT NIGHT or even that semi-crappy MEN AT WORK.

mark t
09-03-2010, 01:18 PM
I loved STAKEOUT as well. :)

Jonathan Douglas
09-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Yes, that's definitely one of the best film he's ever been in, I'd probably rank it 2nd on a list just behind BREAKFAST CLUB. Just read his debut film in 1980 featured hard rock band U.F.O. appearing, that would be pretty neat to see.