PDA

View Full Version : Sony joins the DVD-R crowd

Wayne Schmidt
09-01-2010, 03:15 PM
A friend on mine pointed me to a bunch of new releases from Sony on the Critics Choice website, scheduled for Sept. 21 and the 28th. They're listed as dvd-r's with a list of $24.98, discounted to $21 or thereabouts. Here's the partial list he sent me (there are more if you want to go look) -

Soul of A Monster (1944)
The 27th Day (1957)
The Man Who Turned to Stone (1957)
The Spiritualist (already out on various PD labels as The Amazing Mr. X) (1948)
A Study in Terror (1965)
The Mad Room (1969)
The Mind of Mr. Soames (1970)
The 30-Foot Bride of Candy Rock (1959)
Nightwing (1979)
A Reflection of Fear (1973)
The Night the World Exploded (1957)
Twelve to the Moon (1960)
Valley of the Dragons (1961)

This is interesting and confusing in light of their recent Image agreement. Are these titles not even of interest to Image? And what's with this ridiculously high retail that all the studios have settled on? There are a few I'd love to get, but not at $25 each. They should all be excellent transfers, though.

Troy Howarth
09-01-2010, 03:34 PM
I may take a chance on Mr. Soames - it's a very good film, and I'd like to have a better copy....

mark t
09-01-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm amazed that in this day and age, studios will still charge a price like that. Dont' get me wrong, i've paid a lot more for films, and would definitely shell out 25 bucks for special editions, but for DVD-Rs?

Troy Howarth
09-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Well, the way I see it is, if it's widescreen, 16x9 and a pristine transfer - that's more or less worth it... I used to shell out $30 for multi-generational VHS dupes back in the day, afterall. Added to that, you can generally get these things cheaper on-line with sales and discounts and so forth. Do I think they should be priced cheaper? Yeah, I do - but if the quality is good, that's what matters. It's not like Mya charging the same amount for a crap VHS transfer.

Wayne Schmidt
09-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Can you provide a link? I can't find the complete list they have. Nightwing seems like the only one so far I'd be interested in. Are they releasing these movies widescreen or full frame?There isn't a complete list, per se. They're just spread in among all the other new releases for those days. What I posted is what a friend of mine remembered that had caught his attention. There are more.

http://www.ccvideo.com/releases.cfm?type=Upcoming&orderby=title&noimages=n&show=dvd&page=1&monthfilter=9

I'd imagine they'll all be in the correct aspect ratio and most like HD masters. Sony has aggressively kept their library up to date in that department.

Fred Anderson
09-01-2010, 05:07 PM
I really like the DVD-R route, I have nothing against it. As long as some movies are coming out finally - but the prices are really scary!

Wayne Schmidt
09-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Evidently they're also being carried by Deep Discount for around $18 each, a little better. Also, if they're on DD's site hopefully they'd be eligible in one of their sales (don't they have a big one later in the fall?)

Troy Howarth
09-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Yep, they have Mind of Mr. Soames for a little under 18... I pre-ordered it.

Wayne Schmidt
09-01-2010, 08:53 PM
A more complete list, posted on the Criterion forum -

Address Unknown (William Cameron Menzies)
Apache Territory
Arizona Raiders
Battle of the Coral Sea
Birds Do It
The Black Arrow
Blame It on the Night
A Bullet Is Waiting
The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial (Robert Altman TV-Movie)
The Canterville Ghost
The Case Against Brooklyn
Cell 2455, Death Row
Charge of the Lancers
City Streets
Conquest of Cochise (William Castle)
The Contract on Cherry Street
Counter-Attack
Crash Landing
Criminal Lawyer
A Day in the Death of Joe Egg
Detour to Terror
Doctors’ Wives
Duffy
The Executioner
Family Reunion
Father Is a Bachelor
Fire on the Mountain
Five Finger Exercise
Flight of the Doves
Footsteps in the Fog
Forbidden Trail
Fragment of Fear
Fury of the Congo
Genghis Khan
The Guilt of Janet Ames
Hart to Hart: Crimes of the Heart
Hart to Hart: Home Is Where the Hart Is
Hart to Hart Returns
Hart to Hart: Secrets of the Hart
Hoedown
Hot Blood
Hot Stuff
I Never Sang for My Father
The Incredible Journey of Doctor Meg Laurel
The Interns
Johnny Allegro
The Juggler
Jungle Manhunt
Jungle Moon Men
The Long Haul
The Love-Ins
The Love Machine
The Mad Room
Man on a String
The Man Who Turned to Stone
A Memory in My Heart
Mickey One
The Mind of Mr. Soames
Miracle of the Heart: A Boys Town Story
The National Health
New Orleans Uncensored
The Night the World Exploded
Nightwing
No Greater Glory
No Time to be Young
Nobody’s Perfekt
Otley
Over 21
Pickup Alley
The Pumpkin Eater
Pygmy Island
A Reflection of Fear
Saddles and Sagebrush
Sahara (1995 TV-Movie remake of Bogart movie... with Jim Belushi in the role!)
711 Ocean Drive
A Severed Head
The Shadow on the Window
A Song to Remember
Song Without End
The Soul of a Monster
The Spiritualist
Storm Center
A Study in Terror
Surprise Package
Swing Vote (1999 Andy Garcia TV-Movie)
Synanon
The Take
Tarawa Beachhead
10 Rillington Place
Terror Among Us
Thieves (Andre Techine!)
30 Foot Bride of Candy Rock
Three Stripes in the Sun
To Sir, With Love II
Twelve to the Moon
The 27th Day
Undercover With the KKK
Valley of the Dragons
Violets Are Blue
Winter a Go-Go

Thomas Hart
09-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Wow, look at all the titles that will never be on Blu-Ray (or pressed DVDS)! :rolleyes:

So far, in the last year or so, 90% of the titles Sony/Columbia released that were remastered or had pristine transfers were the ones that were help funded by The Film Foundation. So I expect most of these titles to be hit or miss.

On the other hand, I believe quite a few of the listed titles were supposed to be pressed and released on Sony's Martini Movies. So who knows.

So, all the studios are throwing all their shit out there in 3 different formats and levels of quality for collectors now:

High = Blu-Rays
Medium = Pressed DVDs
Low (not in price though) = Burned Discs or Downloads

Hmmmm, I wonder which one come out on top, Hmmmmm.

Wayne Schmidt
09-01-2010, 09:56 PM
So far, in the last year or so, 90% of the titles Sony/Columbia released that were remastered or had pristine transfers were the ones that were help funded by The Film Foundation. So I expect most of these titles to be hit or miss.
Really? Which transfers has Sony released in the last year (or few years, actually) that weren't remastered? Unless you're referring to acquisitions (titles not from the Columbia library) everything Sony has released for quite some time has come from HD mastered new transfers. That has been company policy. If there have been film inherent issues, well, sometimes that stuff can't be fixed if the elements aren't in good enough shape to fix it. But, unlike Warner's Archive releases (of which some are obviously from old analogue masters) from the video side they're all pretty much current.
And the Film Foundation I'm sure are great supporters of the studios' efforts, but Sony has had one of the best funded and most aggressive film restoration programs of any studio.

edit: I just looked at the Film Foundation's website and the list of films there. What Sony owned titles are you talking about?

Troy Howarth
09-01-2010, 10:02 PM
I can't complain about this. Fragment of Fear is another good one - I'll probably pick that one up, too.

cworkman
09-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Wow, that's quite a list, and there's more genre titles on the first two batches of these than in all of Warner's releases from the last year and a half.

Regardless, the price is a bit steep, especially for films like VALLEY OF THE DRAGONS; it's extremely short, and everything good in it is stock footage from ONE MILLION B.C. as I recall. Hopefully these come down in price sometime soon, so I can pick up about fifteen of them.

On a positive note, there's not a single Hammer film on the list, so maybe Sony (or Image) is planning on releasing films like:

The Brigand of Kandahar
Visa to Canton/Passport to China
Watch It Sailor!
Yesterday's Enemy
The Camp on Blood Island
Weekend with Lulu
The Scarlet Blade/The Crimson Blade
The Creatures the World Forgot
And so on...

Troy Howarth
09-01-2010, 10:33 PM
A Hammer Action set with Brigand, Yesterday's Enemy (though it deserves a stand alone SE, really), Camp on Blood Island and The Scarlet Blade would be pretty spiffy....

cworkman
09-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Since the last Hammer collection they released had six films, just go ahead and throw in CREATURES THE WORLD FORGOT for good measure!!!

Most of the rest could be released in an ICONS OF COMEDY: HAMMER collection...

cworkman
09-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Didn't Sony release A STUDY IN TERROR on legit DVD not too long ago???

I actually have a R2 PAL of that particular title.

Wayne Schmidt
09-01-2010, 11:52 PM
I thought they had too, but I can't find any evidence of that.

Ben Gart
09-02-2010, 06:18 AM
10 RILLINGTON PLACE would be a good one. Of course, it was released a bit ago in the UK.

A STUDY IN TERROR apparently was supposed to come out last fall, when SHERLOCK HOLMES was released but it never materialized.

Thomas Hart
09-02-2010, 08:11 AM
Really? Which transfers has Sony released in the last year (or few years, actually) that weren't remastered? Unless you're referring to acquisitions (titles not from the Columbia library) everything Sony has released for quite some time has come from HD mastered new transfers. That has been company policy. If there have been film inherent issues, well, sometimes that stuff can't be fixed if the elements aren't in good enough shape to fix it. But, unlike Warner's Archive releases (of which some are obviously from old analogue masters) from the video side they're all pretty much current.
And the Film Foundation I'm sure are great supporters of the studios' efforts, but Sony has had one of the best funded and most aggressive film restoration programs of any studio.

edit: I just looked at the Film Foundation's website and the list of films there. What Sony owned titles are you talking about?

Not saying Sony didn't remaster any catalog titles on DVD in the last year or so, just that a good majority of them (in the last year) were with support of The Film Foundation. Sam Fuller Set, Both Film Noir Sets, Budd Boetticher Set, Michael Powell Set and the upcoming Rita Hayworth Set.

And if you're using The FIlm Foundation's website for a reference of titles, I've been there, and it's not that good (organization or detail-wise).

Ian F
09-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Does this mean Yor may come out soon? :)

Wayne Schmidt
09-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Not saying Sony didn't remaster any catalog titles on DVD in the last year or so, just that a good majority of them (in the last year) were with support of The Film Foundation. Sam Fuller Set, Both Film Noir Sets, Budd Boetticher Set, Michael Powell Set and the upcoming Rita Hayworth Set.

And if you're using The FIlm Foundation's website for a reference of titles, I've been there, and it's not that good (organization or detail-wise).I worked on the lab work for THE TALL T and one of the other Boetticher titles over ten years ago (it had fading issues and continued to be finessed since then) , and A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH was Scorese's baby from the git go, but Sony's asset management did the majority of the work. Again it had been an ongoing project for many years. I can't lay claim to any knowledge of the Hayworth or Noir sets outside of saying I don't know why they would be handled any differently than the rest of Sony's catalog. The studio occasionally partners with different organizations based on a series of factors, but financing isn't one of them. If the Film Foundation site isn't a good reference where is this documentation coming from of their involvement and to what degree?
And no, they're not going to "restore" something like 27TH DAY or 30 FOOT BRIDE OF CANDY ROCK with the same level of attention as a Powell film, but it's going to be a newer transfer with correct specs and from (in most cases) newly created film elements. Outside of the cost issue I think the burn-on-demand program isn't a bad thing. In this economy and given the current state of the home video market these titles would NEVER be released through normal channels. I don't think it will be used for higher profile catalog titles, especially with their new arrangement with Image.

cworkman
09-02-2010, 12:56 PM
I personally don't have any issue with burn-on-demand, especially if it's getting us films we'd never get otherwise. But I do have a problem with films costing $25, especially now that the economy has tanked and that is a lot more money than it was (for me personally) ten years ago. I can no longer afford to chunk down those kinds of prices on standard DVD, let alone DVD-R, for lesser titles. I'll do that for titles I really love, begrudgingly, but not for films like 30-FOOT BRIDE OF CANDY ROCK, VALLEY OF THE DRAGONS, or NIGHTWING...

Still, I'm glad Sony is making these available, and maybe when my finances are stronger I'll be able to indulge in purchasing a couple of them.

Wayne Schmidt
09-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Since Deep Discount is also carrying these (unlike the Warner, Universal or MGM dvd-r projects) there's a reasonable chance they'll be included in one of their big discount sale. That might bring them down to $15 or something. But I agree . . . . I don't know why all the studios went for such a high price point. I can understand that they might be more labor intensive since they're created in very small quantities at a time but it's still too steep. Ten bucks would probably be the sweet spot, I'd guess.

Tim C.
09-02-2010, 01:21 PM
The Mind of Mr. Soames was pretty good when I watched it last year. Any other good ones to consider?

cworkman
09-02-2010, 01:26 PM
I agree, Wayne. I'd pay $15 at the most, but $10 seems about right. And I imagine that Sony would sell more units and probably make a bit more at the lower price point than at the higher price point.

About something else you wrote, I agree, these will probably look extremely good. Sony is the one major company I've griped the least about when it comes to the quality of their releases. There never seems to be any sort of range in quality (like you get with MGM, Warner, and Universal); everything looks generally terrific.

Troy Howarth
09-02-2010, 01:30 PM
The Mind of Mr. Soames was pretty good when I watched it last year. Any other good ones to consider?

10 Rillington Place (if you can forgive Attenborough's ludicrous skullcap), Fragment of Fear and A Study in Terror are all solid little thrillers.

Wayne Schmidt
09-02-2010, 01:44 PM
About something else you wrote, I agree, these will probably look extremely good. Sony is the one major company I've griped the least about when it comes to the quality of their releases. There never seems to be any sort of range in quality (like you get with MGM, Warner, and Universal); everything looks generally terrific.Well, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and if the condition of the original materials are not the greatest the end product will suffer. But the actual transfer quality is always excellent with Sony, especially in recent years. I just watched Criterion's SCARLET EMPRESS last night and it's really rough, but I'd imagine that's all they had to work with at the time (I since read there's a better looking version on a Universal french dvd release that came from a nitrate source at the BFI, so there's always hope of improvements). Personally, I'll be very curious how THE SPIRITUALIST looks, a terrific atmospheric little title with Turhan Bey that's languished in PD hell for quite awhile. There was an Image release from the Wade Williams collection but it had a lot of damage and sound issues. I'd also love to get FOOTSTEPS IN THE FOG, a "Gaslight" style costumer with lots of great moments and beautiful color.

Definitely some interesting stuff.

Steve R
09-02-2010, 02:30 PM
That Budd Boettecher set was one of the best DVD sets I ever got.
Done right and chock full of great films. To see them in such quality
was a revelation and a real kick in the ass. The extras, not that they needed to do a single one were wonderful, too.

Wayne if you helped to make that Tall T look that good, you're a Tech with a Tall T, too. Stellar job!

I am glad to see these come out rather than languish. I can see that the studios want this to generate dollars but rather then squeeze each transaction, it'd be better, IMHOP if they offered 5 pix for 50 bucks twice a year. That'd drive up per unit sales and ring the cash bell, too. You want to stimulate additional sales of back catalog titles not just gauge the customer on a few purchases.

To see No Greater Glory on that list is bliss. A really obscure film from the 30s I love by Borzeghe.

Steve R
09-02-2010, 02:34 PM
By far though my favorite post of the day, after all this brilliant film scholar talk and cinema chat is this:

"Does this mean Yor may come out soon?" - Ian F

And yeah I know the film and even have a poster for it buried with others in my basement somewhere.
When you try your first copyright case and win, Ian PM me and I'll send it to you as a prize.
And please use the complete title, Yor, the Hunter from the Future, in future less you shall hear from my solicitor.

Steve

Wayne Schmidt
09-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Wayne if you helped to make that Tall T look that good, you're a Tech with a Tall T, too. Stellar job!
Thanks Steve, but I can lay no claim to the final result, just the preliminary lab evaluation work. I haven't seen the dvd yet, but if it looks really good it's no doubt because of the advances in techniques to restoring color to faded negatives. These days they're capable of fixes that were simply not options back then. And I couldn't be happier, because it's a very common problem unfortunately. It's a terrific film, too.

Ian F
09-02-2010, 02:43 PM
By far though my favorite post of the day, after all this brilliant film scholar talk and cinema chat is this:

"Does this mean Yor may come out soon?" - Ian F

And yeah I know the film and even have a poster for it buried with others in my basement somewhere. When you try your first copyright case, Ian PM me and I'll send it to you as a prize. and please use the complete title, Yor, the Hunter from the Future, in future less you shall hear from my solicitor.

Steve

Will do! :D

cworkman
09-02-2010, 04:55 PM
There are definitely some interesting titles in these upcoming releases, and it'll be interesting to see what else - if anything - comes out in the future. Now if only Universal would resume releasing their DVD-Rs. THE HOUSE OF THE SEVEN GABLES looked amazing.

Wayne Schmidt
09-03-2010, 04:19 PM
From first look it appears if there's a theatrical one sheet Sony's going to use that for the cover, and if not just any available still.

http://resources2.deepdiscount.com/resources/deepdiscount/images/products/processed/563/043396355767.zoom.1.jpg
http://resources2.deepdiscount.com/resources/deepdiscount/images/products/processed/678/043396354883.zoom.1.jpg

cworkman
09-03-2010, 10:42 PM
That THE SPIRITUALIST cover is pretty lame. Regardless, I'll be sticking to my old Image release, even if it comes from a less than perfect source. While I enjoy this form, I can't afford to upgrade standard DVDs anymore (unless the film itself is truly remarkable; meaning, I'd gladly upgrade to an appropriately letterboxed, restored, and remastered HORROR OF DRACULA or THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN).

Wayne Schmidt
09-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Their website -

http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/columbiaclassics/the-films/?filter=mod

Mark C.
09-09-2010, 12:46 AM
There are probably a dozen or so titles I would buy from that list, but at those prices I would go broke.

Marshall Crist
09-09-2010, 12:52 AM
Can't say I am interested in these, at any price.

cworkman
09-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks for that link, Wayne. I bookmarked it.

There are definitely some films I want here, but hopefully they have periodic sales. If so, I'll purchase some titles at that time. Until then, there's just too much coming out legitimately (between standard DVD and BD) between now and Xmas time to be able to afford to buy some of these!

Grant W
09-09-2010, 04:16 PM
There's 4 or 5 I want there. There would be more but not at those prices!

David Steigman
09-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Fragment of Fear sounded the best to me as I read about them in IMDB. 27th Day and 10 Rillington Place also sounded interesting..
I would have loved to have seen Legend of the Werewolf
A Study in Terror i have the Region 2 DVD of ..

Troy Howarth
09-10-2010, 12:57 PM
Sony doesn't own Legend of the Werewolf... I'm not sure who has the Tyburn catalogue.

10 Rillington Place is a good one, if you can get past the laughable skullcap Attenborough wears; Fragment of Fear and Mind of Mr. Soames are musts for Brit horror/sci-fi buffs, I'd say.

David Steigman
09-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Well if I can find them to rent at this one video store maybe I can get lucky...depends on if they had VHS releases...
I thought Columbia had Legend of the Werewolf...maybe they used to..I have the VHS of theirs...been wanting the DVD forever..

Wayne Schmidt
09-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Fragment of Fear sounded the best to me as I read about them in IMDB. 27th Day and 10 Rillington Place also sounded interesting..
27TH DAY is an interesting no budget sci-fi effort. It would have made an excellent "added value" supplement to EARTH VS THE FLYING SAUCERS. It uses a ton of stock footage from it.

I really hope Deep Discount includes these in one of their big sales. There's about three I'd like to get, but I can't pony up $18 each right now. However, they're still better value than the Warners Archive Series. Some of those look fine, others don't and you're really never sure until you've bought them. I'd be confident on any of the Sonys you'd be getting a recent transfer from good quality elements.

Wayne Schmidt
09-13-2010, 01:59 PM
They now have clips up for the majority of these. They're obviously still working the bugs out . . . . some are the wrong clip for the wrong movie, and all the anamorphic transfers are shown squeezed . . . . but it gives you a general idea of the quality. And they look great! I definitely want to get THE SPIRTUALIST when I have some spare cash and DD has a sale, and a few others.

RichardDoyle
09-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Four "Hart to Hart" movies? Seriously ... four of them???

cworkman
09-13-2010, 07:41 PM
27TH DAY is an interesting no budget sci-fi effort. It would have made an excellent "added value" supplement to EARTH VS THE FLYING SAUCERS. It uses a ton of stock footage from it.

I really hope Deep Discount includes these in one of their big sales. There's about three I'd like to get, but I can't pony up $18 each right now. However, they're still better value than the Warners Archive Series. Some of those look fine, others don't and you're really never sure until you've bought them. I'd be confident on any of the Sonys you'd be getting a recent transfer from good quality elements.

I wish more companies would do what Warner did with the FORBIDDEN PLANET Special Edition DVD, HD, and now Blu-ray; that is, place lesser-known science fiction films on with classic science fiction films. THE 27TH DAY would have been perfect as an extra on the BD of THE EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCER.

Wayne Schmidt
09-14-2010, 01:51 PM
There's a Warner Archive thread here -

http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40924&highlight=Warner+Archives

If Fox is not going to release through normal channels or sub-license them I'll take the dvd-r route over not available at all. I just wish all these burn-on-demand projects wouldn't charge so damned much.

Wayne Schmidt
09-14-2010, 03:14 PM
They've already got one -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?ie=UTF8&docId=1000489701

So far, outside of DREAMCHILD they haven't released anything I want. Only Amazon carries them, I think. There are supposed to be more titles coming shortly.

cworkman
09-14-2010, 04:52 PM
MGM has been a bust, if you ask me. Fox has some great older titles I'd love to have, so hopefully this happens soon. But I'm in total agreement with Wayne; the prices are just too steep for these. And its even worse when you add on shipping and handling (unless you're buying a lot of titles).

If Warner and Sony offered these for $15, I'd buy more; and if they offered them for $10, I'd buy a LOT OF THEM! (Do you hear that, Warner and Sony? Offer these cheaper and you'll sell a lot more!)

paul h.
09-14-2010, 05:07 PM
MGM has been a bust, if you ask me. Fox has some great older titles I'd love to have, so hopefully this happens soon. But I'm in total agreement with Wayne; the prices are just too steep for these. And its even worse when you add on shipping and handling (unless you're buying a lot of titles).

If Warner and Sony (and any of those othe yayhoos) offered these for $15, I'd buy more; and if they offered them for $10, I'd buy a LOT OF THEM! (Do you hear that, Warner and Sony? Offer these cheaper and you'll sell a lot more!)

You said it. Obscure films that I'm vaguely interested in, anything over $12 is a no sale for me. If they were $10 or under, I'd take the plunge.

I still haven't purchased ANY of them, despite really wanting Brewster McCloud, Captain Sindbad, Doc Savage, and several others. Gotta prioritize, y'know, like food, and bills, and such.

Troy Howarth
10-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Got Mind of Mr. Soames. On spot checking, it looks to be an excellent transfer. It looks like a "real" DVD to me, though I suppose purists may find the lack of a menu may upset the purists...