PDA

View Full Version : Sony to Distribute Image Entertainment titles

Derrick King
08-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Sony also licensed a number of films to Image, including Spike Jonze's ADAPTATION. (http://www.homemediamagazine.com/studios/image-partners-with-sony-pictures-home-entertainment-20439)

paul h.
08-30-2010, 06:49 PM
This could be cool if Image releases some the titles that Sony didn't want to deal with previously. Catalog experts please chime in, as I haven't a clue what Sony is sitting on.

AdamTyner
08-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Catalog experts please chime in, as I haven't a clue what Sony is sitting on.Genre wise...?

The Black Room.
Godzilla 2000.
Fright Night and its sequel.
Christine.
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger.
The terrible April Fool's Day remake.
The Blob remake.
The Boogeyman remake.
The Fog remake.
Darkness Falls.
The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra.
The Tingler.
Bats.
The Forsaken.
The Forgotten.
Ghosts of Mars.
The Mothman Prophecies.

Their library consists of a lot of (but not everything) from Destination, Revolution, Screen Gems, Columbia, and Tri-Star, so there are some really amazing possibilities: everything from On the Waterfront to Used Cars. I'm not an expert, though, so some of what I rattled off may not actually be with Sony's home video arm anymore. :)

Wayne Schmidt
08-30-2010, 09:11 PM
A lot of what you listed is already out on dvd. Did you mean for blu-ray?

AdamTyner
08-30-2010, 09:18 PM
I was thinking in terms of Blu-ray, yeah.

The article took care to mention Adaptation, and that's already out on DVD, so I figured the others wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility either. I'm not saying I want something like Bats to take one of those slots, though...just skimming through and looking for anything horror-ish.

Wayne Schmidt
08-30-2010, 09:31 PM
Oh, they have a TON of stuff that would be wonderful on BD -

Curse (Night) of the Demon, the Hammer titles, great noir stuff, the Budd Boetticher westerns, on and on. If the partnering with Image makes it viable for those things to come out on HD it's major celebration time!

Troy Howarth
08-30-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm a little confused... the Hammer titles, etc are titles Sony already owned; how does this bode well for their release to BD?

AdamTyner
08-30-2010, 10:31 PM
I'm a little confused... the Hammer titles, etc are titles Sony already owned; how does this bode well for their release to BD?Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is manufacturing and distributing Image Entertainment titles. As part of the same deal, Sony is licensing some of their titles to Image. Movies that Sony might not be likely to release on Blu-ray themselves -- such as the Hammer titles -- could possibly go to Image Entertainment.

cworkman
08-30-2010, 10:59 PM
I doubt that this will result in any classic horror or science fiction titles hitting Blu-ray, but if it doesn, then great. I'd love to see THE REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN, NIGHT/CURSE OF THE DEMON, MOTHRA, THE GORGON, TWO FACES OF DR. JEKYLL, RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE, etc.

Shane K
08-30-2010, 11:33 PM
This could be cool if Image releases some the titles that Sony didn't want to deal with previously. Catalog experts please chime in, as I haven't a clue what Sony is sitting on.

I'd kill if they released 8 Million Ways to Die, and Crazy Joe. And a Taxi Driver (BD) would certainly be most welcome.

Some of what Sony's sitting on...

http://www.dvdaf.com/search.html?pub=sony&rel=n&rgn=us&init_form=str0_pub_sony*str1_rel_n*rgn_us

Wayne Schmidt
08-30-2010, 11:53 PM
I'm pretty sure TAXI DRIVER is already in the works through Sony's regular channels. It should be sometime in the early part on next year (that's the rumor).

Shane K
08-31-2010, 12:02 AM
I'm pretty sure TAXI DRIVER is already in the works through Sony's regular channels. It should be sometime in the early part on next year (that's the rumor).

I have very little faith that it will be released anytime soon. They've been dragging their feet for far too long. I hope they prove me wrong, but I'm not counting on it.

Troy Howarth
08-31-2010, 08:24 AM
Let's hope it happens... I'm not just hopeful for the horror titles, but any other titles in a varietyof genres. Taxi Driver is a big one, for example.

Matthew B.
08-31-2010, 10:05 AM
Does Image still have rights to release Horror Express? If so, that would be a blu I'd want in a big way.

Troy Howarth
08-31-2010, 10:13 AM
Severin is releasing Horror Express on BD.

Luis Domenech
08-31-2010, 12:23 PM
Columbia churned out a lot of teen comedies in the 80's - maybe some of those will surface. Also, they made or distributed plenty of B-grade stuff like 976-Evil and Hellhole that I'd like to see in hi-def (or at least on SE DVDs). Christine is a good candidate for Blu-ray treatment but I think Sony might end up doing that one themselves.

RichardDoyle
08-31-2010, 04:20 PM
I'd love to see "Hellhole" on DVD period, never mind BD.

cworkman
08-31-2010, 04:23 PM
I imagine we'll be seeing TAXI DRIVER on Blu before long. It's a major catalogue title for Sony, and they aren't going to pass up the revenue it would generate.