PDA

View Full Version : My Malata N996, she is gone.

Michael Wells
08-28-2010, 03:02 PM
After 8 years, my beloved Malata N996 all-region, PAL -> NTSC converting DVD player seems to have gone down for the count last Saturday. I think.

I turned it off manually via the power button on the player itself (long story why, there was a reason), rather than the one on the remote like I usually do. Only left it off for a minute or so, but something must have happened then. Ever since, I get just a very faint glimmering of some of the blue-green indicators on the display screen, but that's it, and no response when I press anything on the remote or any other button on the player. I tried unplugging it again for a few minutes, and then a few days, and plugging it into a couple different outlets around the room. Same results.

So does this sound like it's worth trying to get fixed, or is it a lost cause (or so expensive I might as well buy something else new)?

If the former, anyone know of a place in NYC (especially Brooklyn) that might be helpful? A quick google doesn't get me much.

If I don't take it somewhere, how do I get out the SINGIN' IN THE RAIN disc that's stuck inside it now?

I guess I'll leave questions about possible replacements for another thread, but no objections if anyone wants to chime in on that too.

::sigh::

Thanks,
MW

Darcy Parker
08-28-2010, 04:08 PM
You can probably buy a new player cheaper than fixing the Malata. You are probably going to have to take it apart to get the disc out.

Rich K
08-28-2010, 05:18 PM
I'd try unplugging it for a while and see if it resets itself when you plug it back in. Otherwise, take off the top of the unit to see if you can get better access to the players tray so you can get your disc out. Repairing this old of a machine probably isn't a good idea. Sounds like its time for a new player. I highly recommend Oppo's bdp-83 but others on this forum also like the less expensive sherwood unit that's discussed on it's own thread.

Michael Wells
08-29-2010, 01:54 AM
Thanks for the responses, Darcy and Rich.

I've actually already left it unplugged for a few days and then tried again. Nothin'.

Yeah, I've seen those two players recommended elsewhere. And the Oppo is way out of my budget range right now, so I guess I'll hop over to the Sherwood thread.

Keith B.
08-29-2010, 11:15 AM
At least you got 8 solid years out of it.....my N996 didn't even last a year before it overheated and blew up.

Michael Wells
08-29-2010, 08:19 PM
Oof! Guess I got lucky. I vaguely recall hearing about some overheating issues with it, way back when. Or did I dream it? Anyway, fortunately most people I've heard from had an experience similar to mine.