PDA

View Full Version : The Other Guys

Wostry Ferenc
08-28-2010, 04:08 AM
It bombed big time, nobody saw it, you guys didn't give a shit either, never the less this is the best film of this, granted, awful summer.

Despite Will Ferrell being in it, this film is verrrrry funny.

Stephen Harrison
08-28-2010, 07:12 AM
It opens in a couple of weeks here in the UK and I cannot wait to see it - as I am of the opinion that Ferrell is extremely funny.

'Anchorman', 'Blades Of Glory', 'Semi-Pro', 'Step Brothers' - that is all I need to say.

Daniel S.S.
08-28-2010, 07:40 AM
I saw it. Will Ferrell's funniest movie in a long time. The laughs slow down a bit toward the end but still well worth seeing - assuming you like Will Ferrell.

Jason Lee
08-28-2010, 08:32 AM
I thought it had a big opening weekend in America?

Wostry Ferenc
08-28-2010, 11:17 AM
The scene when Marky Mark meets Ferrell's wife is fantastic :)

Grant W
08-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Yeah just watched that trailer and it looks amusing.

Marshall Crist
08-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Put in the queue. If I hate it, I will consider it divine retribution for all the shitty movies that people have blind-bought on my recommendation.

Stephen Harrison
08-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Got to admire your positive attitude Marshall.

I know you're going to love it. ;)

Troy Howarth
08-28-2010, 06:20 PM
I think Ferrell is funny as hell, so I'd like to see this.

D.Wilt
08-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Alright, leave it to me to be the curmudgeon.

I thought this was mildly amusing but overlong and neither fish nor fowl: it plays it too straight to be a comedy, and not straight enough to be an actual action film. As I so cleverly put it in my blog, it's "closer to Lethal Weapon than The Naked Gun..."

I think it may have read better as a script than it plays as a real movie.

I liked it better than most of the other comedies I've seen recently, however (Dinner for Schmucks, Get Him to the Greek, etc.). Faint praise, I suppose.

Short-ish and crabby review here:

http://tumblr.com/xfgfs03jg

John K
08-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Yeah, from what I saw of it, I wasn't particularly impressed. Granted, I was watching from the booth, so some of the lower-key sound I missed (booth audio isn't the best) but I still ended up bailing to do something else. Like a lot of this new breed of comedy (KICK-ASS is basically the same thing, I think - attempting to bring realism to a genre picture), it frustrates me in that it tries to have its cake and eat it too - it wants to be an anti-action picture, but it still shoehorns in explosions, car chases, etc. I wish someone could just stick to their guns and have them sitting at a desk for two hours. But I think that was probably only possible in the 70s.

It's worth pointing out, though, that I don't care for Farrel at all - his shtick seems to consist largely of saying goofy things REALLY LOUD IN A YELL-SHOUT!!! Gets old for me super fast.

Troy Howarth
08-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Every time I see an ad for a Ferrell film I think the same thing - "the same old thing all over again." Then I see the film and I can't help but laugh. He may not have the widest range, but his style amuses me.

BobG
08-29-2010, 03:36 PM
It bombed big time, nobody saw it...

I just read in the L.A. Times that, as of this weekend, U.S. boxoffice take for The Other Guys is 99.3 mil, so somebody must've seen it - and it's still in the Top Ten (#5).

Wostry Ferenc
08-30-2010, 01:33 AM
I stand corrected. But nobody seems to talk about this film, and I don't mean just here...

Troy Howarth
08-30-2010, 08:27 AM
You forgot the first rule of The Other Guys, Wostry...

Jason Lee
08-30-2010, 10:59 AM
It's probably one of those movies you watch, laugh a bit....and then go home and forget about it.....

Hence the fact that no one is really writing about it....there's nothing more to write than Will Farrell buddy cop comedy vehicle with Mark Wahlberg co-starring...

Steven Millan
08-31-2010, 12:46 AM
I don't see how Will Ferrell's latest comedy could have failed when it grossed over $88 million at the box office(even if it quickly slipped off the box office charts[due to the usual heavy summertime competition{that comes out on a weekly basis}]),for expect more obnoxious(but hilarious)Will Ferrell cinema to continue to come along the way.