PDA

View Full Version : Let's ignore it's existence

Alex K.
08-28-2010, 01:12 AM
What films or whatever do you completely ignore the existence of? To you, it isn't cannon at all and should be ignored.

Right off the bat Alien Resurrection. The story ended with Alien 3, and it ended on just the right note. Resurrection may have the same actress as Ripley, but it isn't the same character.

Romero's 2nd Dead Trilogy. I think even those who liked the 2nd trilogy can't say with a straight face that any of those films are as good as the original trilogy. The original trilogy had fully developed characters, no cheap thrills, no CGI, and a satisfying ending for each one.

TV related: Family Guy Seasons 4 and up. The first 3 seasons are great. Hilarious shit. Season 4 and onward had forced jokes, pop-culture references galore, basically an animated version of those lame parody movies. I chalk this up to different writers, and Seth Mcfarland having diverted his attention with other shows.

Jon Houghton
08-28-2010, 01:18 AM
any of the recent remakes of the last 10-15 years

Vincent Pereira
08-28-2010, 01:25 AM
Romero's 2nd Dead Trilogy. I think even those who liked the 2nd trilogy can't say with a straight face that any of those films are as good as the original trilogy...

I can and will say with a "straight face" that I truly believe DIARY OF THE DEAD to not only be "on par" with the original trilogy, but to be one of Romero's very best films...

As for other series and "ignoring their existence", I think HALLOWEEN, HALLOWEEN II and HALLOWEEN H20 form a nice complete trilogy, so I ignore the other films in that series (although I do like HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH, but I consider that to be an independent entity that exists on its own). Similarly I think THE EXORCIST, THE EXORCIST III and DOMINION all link together and work well as a trilogy so long as we ignore EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC and Renny Harlin's EXORCIST: THE BEGINNING.

Vincent

Marshall Crist
08-28-2010, 01:54 AM
The American "Godzilla" film. I like every single other Godzilla film. Although I suspect I'll soon have two to ignore.

Christopher Quinn
08-28-2010, 02:18 AM
Jeepers Creepers 2, the first is a very fun and solid Monster flick, not perfect but still pretty good. The sequel is a piece of shit though.

Fred Anderson
08-28-2010, 02:20 AM
No movie really. I respect the movie makers talent and vision so much.

Terry Carpenter
08-28-2010, 02:44 AM
Shit, I ignore Alien 3. There is no reason that script should have went through.

There is no such thing as a Terminator 3&4. They destroyed the possibility of Skynet in the second one. The story ends there.

Jason N
08-28-2010, 02:50 AM
I love the Rocky movies. But, I pretend 5 never happened.

Robin Bougie
08-28-2010, 03:28 AM
The three most recent Star Wars movies.

The two Matrix sequels.

Everything in the ALIENS series after Alien and Aliens. As far as I'm concerned, Ripley, Newt, and Hicks are still floating through space in sleep-stasis.

Your complaint about Family Guy is interesting to me Vincant, because I feel exactly the opposite. The early seasons get no laughs out of me. The stuff you don't like about the newer seasons is the stuff that has me almost crying with laughter. Humour is odd that way, I guess. Same with music. Everyone has a totally different idea of what is good. It's one of the reasons comedies are the hardest genre to recommend for me at the videostore.

Jon H: You're actually missing out on some decent movies if you're refusing to see anything that is a remake in the last 15 years. Sure, most of them are crap, but I really enjoyed THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT, I liked Peter Jackson's KING KONG, the new TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE was pretty good, and I've heard the new I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE is pretty ok too. Umm.. what else? OCEANS 11 isn't terrible. THE DEPARTED? Jackson's LORD OF THE RINGS is for sure an upgrade on the 1978 Bakshi version. I'm sure there must be a few others I'm not thinking of as well.

Brian Lindsey
08-28-2010, 04:12 AM
The Tim Burton/Joel Schumacher Batman films.

Max Page
08-28-2010, 04:41 AM
HIGHLANDER, just ignore HIGHLANDER 2 and all is well!

Stephen Harrison
08-28-2010, 06:06 AM
There can be only one. ;)

The Bilko movie with Steve Martin - does that count?
You cannot replace Phil Silvers. Fact.

Daniel S.S.
08-28-2010, 06:58 AM
For a long time that's exactly the approach I took with the Planet of the Apes remake. Years after its release I relented and watched the beginning and the end to see how they were handled though. I still have no interest in watching the whole thing.

I'm reminded of how Marvel Comics canceled a lot of titles in the summer of 1975, among them Werewolf By Night. They gave Jack Russell/The Werewolf a lovely, emotional send off, only to find out they weren't canceled and the series dragged listlessly on for another year or so. They should have stopped in '75. Imagine being on a train platform and experiencing a painful goodbye with someone you love, pouring you heart out to them and then realizing that wasn't your train. Now you have to stand around and stare at each other with nothing left to say or do. Awkward.

Jason Lee
08-28-2010, 07:31 AM
The Bilko movie with Steve Martin - does that count?
You cannot replace Phil Silvers. Fact.

Those PINK PANTHER things he was in can f*** off too!!:o

In a perfect world, stuff like ALIEN 3 etc would never happen because the artists involved would prefer to go out on a high note..instead of running the movies into the ground and destroying out memories of the originals....

Anyhow..my choices to erase...

ANY CROW sequel...(and the tv series while we are at it!!)
The new STAR WARS movies...
any ELM st except the first trilogy...
Those ALien VS Predator things
BLADE 3
All Hellraisers except first one
All Halloween except 1, 2 and H20
Terminator 3/4
Piranha 2 (LOL!)
ANY Julia Roberts movie (love Eric...hate her!)

...and the other million shot movies I have wasted my time on in the last 20 years!!:D

Patrick B.
08-28-2010, 07:36 AM
The new Star Wars trilogy. Never been made as far as I'm concerned.

paul h.
08-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Seth McFarland and all his works.

Aaron G
08-28-2010, 08:59 AM
all those fuckern TWILIGHT fuckens and THE LEAGUE Of EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN was pretty shit and totally forgetable compared to Alan Moores' comic.

Did anyone remember the OMEN remake from the 6ths of the 6th 06?

and fuck off the DA VINCI CODE movie, SEX AND THE CITy and another fucken shit 'bestseller' adapatation coming up EAT, DRINK, PRAY, KILL YOURSELF.....!!

Ray Kanne
08-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Shit, I ignore Alien 3. There is no reason that script should have went through.

There is no such thing as a Terminator 3&4. They destroyed the possibility of Skynet in the second one. The story ends there.

In my world there's no such thing as a sequel to The Terminator at all.

I'll also ditto the new Star Wars trilogy and all the lame versions of the old Star Wars films including the wretched 1997 abortions.

Oh, and what's this Matrix stuff I keep hearing about. A trilogy you say? Never heard of it.

Marshall Crist
08-28-2010, 12:26 PM
In my universe, STAR WARS was never called "A New Hope" and has no sequel at all. I can really get behind every "ignore" mentioned so far.

Marshall Crist
08-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Also, I think there may be a movie called EXISTENZ, and I think it only fair that I continue to ignore itz existenz.

Ray Kanne
08-28-2010, 01:06 PM
The Tim Burton/Joel Schumacher Batman films.

Agreed on the Schumacher ones. I'd also add the recent Batman begins and The Dark Knight. Both terrible films with botched lame action scenes and a gritty realistic feel that has no place in a comic book movie. What the hell were they thinking? The Burton films while rarely accurately portraying the characters were at least fun to watch and featured some very good action set pieces. Burton also let Batman speak instead of having him do a bad impression of a Norwegian Black metal growl every time he opens his mouth. That helps.

Emanuele Sheriff
08-28-2010, 01:20 PM
I concur with most of those mentioned already though I like the Dark Knight flicks. I'd add most of the Star Trek ( regardless of which cast) films as well.

Jon Houghton
08-28-2010, 01:56 PM
Jon H: You're actually missing out on some decent movies if you're refusing to see anything that is a remake in the last 15 years. Sure, most of them are crap, but I really enjoyed THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT, I liked Peter Jackson's KING KONG, the new TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE was pretty good, and I've heard the new I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE is pretty ok too. Umm.. what else? OCEANS 11 isn't terrible. THE DEPARTED? Jackson's LORD OF THE RINGS is for sure an upgrade on the 1978 Bakshi version. I'm sure there must be a few others I'm not thinking of as well.

there are SOME remakes I enjoyed, THE DEPARTED was fantastic as were the LOTR series. I also seem to be one of the few fans of THE HILLS HAVE EYES remake(the first one) and while I've not seen the original OCEAN'S 11, I did enjoy the remake of that as well.

David Huber
08-28-2010, 02:57 PM
I always ignored STAR TREK GENERATIONS. There is no way that Captain Kirk died so stupidly.

Terry Carpenter
08-28-2010, 03:13 PM
I always ignored STAR TREK GENERATIONS. There is no way that Captain Kirk died so stupidly.

I can agree on this one.

John G.
08-28-2010, 03:25 PM
MOTHER OF TEARS? :)

Terry Carpenter
08-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Schumacher ones.

May god forgive that rubber nipple laser show.

Gary Banks
08-28-2010, 06:40 PM
I've ignored them so long I've forgotten them. ;)

Batman And Robin
Superman III, IV and Returns

Toby T.
08-28-2010, 07:05 PM
This:

The new Star Wars trilogy. Never been made as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, and the new Batman movies are completely shit. Love the Schumacher films though. They´re kitschy, the way it should be done. Not as awesome as the stuff they made in the 60´s however. That´s the real shit.

Griffin B.
08-28-2010, 07:57 PM
The DIRTY HARRY sequels.

I prefer to think things ended after number one with Harry throwing his badge away - the rest merely exploring 'what if?' scenarios.

Daniel M
08-28-2010, 08:19 PM
John_H - I'm with you on the HILLS HAVE EYES reboot. The direct follow-up to it certainly falls within the scope of this thread though...

Jim R.
09-05-2010, 09:59 PM
I've ignored them so long I've forgotten them. ;)

Batman And Robin
Superman III, IV and Returns

Okay, I agree with most of these, but SUPERMAN RETURNS was pretty decent. I still bought that 14 disc DVD set with all the SUPERMAN movies. I plan to watch them sometime.....

I hate practically all sequels and remakes. I do my best to ignore them. I prefer the originals, and sometimes the second film in a series, but after that, I give up. Exceptions are things like HALLOWEEN and HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH, the only HALLOWEEN movies that I own on DVD, and the only ones I will ever own on DVD. Another bizarre exception is a sequel that wasn't even filmed as a sequel (just retitled as one), HELLO MARY LOU: PROM NIGHT II. Every other PROM NIGHT movie I've seen might as well not exist. I have HELLO MARY LOU on DVD, but not the others!

Alex K.
09-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Heh, I love Prom Night 2. It's one of the great cheesy 80's horror flicks, and to me it's superior to the first Prom Night which is just a generic slasher.