PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Depp or Edward Norton?

Kevin H
08-26-2010, 01:03 AM
Both are prolific actors who've made some great films as well as some interesting career choices.

Who do you think is the better actor?

Troy Howarth
08-26-2010, 07:26 AM
Depp. There's something about Norton that puts me off him in most films.

Steve R
08-26-2010, 08:23 AM
apples and oranges but

Edward Norton can really be wonderful with the right material
American History X remains a stunning performance to me

Depp can be fun, but not the same kind of depth.
He pulled off that first Pirates of Carribean movie though.

Jonathan Douglas
08-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Norton I think has the more layers and depth to his acting, an obvious timing and talent not unlike many of the young name actors from the 80s, Depp was around then but prefers to masquerade a lot apparently. I prefer him not hidden all up under rags, find those unmasked films of his generally more worth seeing. I go with Norton here.

MatthewA
08-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Edward Norton is so BLAHHH to me. I don't know if I've liked a single movie he's done. American History X is so put-on and simple. I might've liked something he's been in, nothing he's been expected to carry though.

Jack J
08-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Johnny boy scored Vanessa Paradis so I'll go with him.

Besides, I totally, overly, uber-ly, limitless, love him in ED WOOD. :cool:

Terry Carpenter
08-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Depp. There's something about Norton that puts me off him in most films.

Same here, Depp is also more consistent as an actor.

Norton has been good in some things (American History X, Death to Smoochy) and just bad plain in others (25th Hour). Maybe it's just not his actingthat turns me off, but his supposed smarmy attitude and knack to take over productions.

In his new movie Norton looks like he hams it up quite a bit, while De Niro looks good.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZU3aX6nE5yc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZU3aX6nE5yc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Jonathan Douglas
08-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Almost like Norton is doing a De Niro here and Bobby holding back, but it really looks like an ordinary even pretty stupid film there to me.

RichardDoyle
08-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Depp is pretty consistent, Norton isn't. If I was asked this in the early 2000's, I'd have been tempted to say Norton, but I don't think he's had a very good decade.

Jonathan Douglas
08-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Depp sure likes to dress up I'll give him that, but generally his range is too samey for my personal liking, on the other hand I'd agree Norton's been a little invisible lately. Maybe that braided hairdo will attract some much needed new attention, and to star opposite De Niro anyway must've been quite an event. I detect much wider possibilities in him, it's not that long ago they were hailing him as the new Jimmy Stewart, let's see what happens next for him maybe he's back.

David F
08-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Norton over Mrs. Tim Burton anyday.

Troy Howarth
08-27-2010, 07:28 AM
Norton is as samey as you can get. He has the same smug, aloof expression all the time, but when he tries to play "human" he comes off as robotic. Barring American History X, I just can't see what all the fuss is about.

Jonathan Douglas
08-27-2010, 12:36 PM
It's always interesting how views are sometimes the complete opposite but what's the fuss with Depp then, I see him as a guy trying hard but also knowing his technical limitations. Such as speaking up or yelling loudly. :D Guess I've seen about 15 or 20 Depp features and mostly he's boring and lifeless, so I detect a pattern there but also enjoy a number of those films he's in such as Ed Wood, From Hell, Nick Of Time, Ninth Gate, Secret Window or Donnie Brasco. Norton isn't necessarily the greatest thing since sliced bread either, but here it's easy for me at least.

Emanuele Sheriff
08-27-2010, 12:53 PM
I find Depp very shallow almost like he caricturises rather than acts. Norton can be samey but he most certainly has better, more believable acting skills than Depp. He also nailed Salma Hayek whose bag boney Vanessa Paradis is not fit to carry. ;-)

Troy Howarth
08-27-2010, 01:05 PM
It's always interesting how views are sometimes the complete opposite but what's the fuss with Depp then, I see him as a guy trying hard but also knowing his technical limitations. Such as speaking up or yelling loudly. :D Guess I've seen about 15 or 20 Depp features and mostly he's boring and lifeless, so I detect a pattern there but also enjoy a number of those films he's in such as Ed Wood, From Hell, Nick Of Time, Ninth Gate, Secret Window or Donnie Brasco. Norton isn't necessarily the greatest thing since sliced bread either, but here it's easy for me at least.

It pays to remember one simple fact: nobody is beloved by all. I'm not a Depp fanatic or anything, but I do think he's talented.