PDA

View Full Version : Vincent Price...

Fred Anderson
08-24-2010, 03:38 PM
...ain't he a sweetheart? A delicious piece of acting-genius. A lover of life, art, food and wine. I wish I was him sometimes...

Troy Howarth
08-24-2010, 03:41 PM
I can still vividly remember the day he died; you'd have thought he was my father, the way I reacted. I guess for a lot of us it's like losing a loved one - growing up on his films, in a sense spending time in his company... he was like the lovable eccentric uncle who popped in every Halloween. He could be a ham, he could sometimes phone it in, but when he was at his best he was a first class actor. He was funny as hell in interviews, too.

Fred Anderson
08-24-2010, 03:54 PM
I remember my fight to find a copy of Theatre of Blood, a movie I heard some good stuff about. Finally I payed - this was a long time ago - a couple of hundred (swedish kronor) for a bootleg that had the WORST quality I've ever seen. Really. It was hard to see what was going on... but loved it. Years later I found the a UK tape and of course I've owned the dvd for a long time also. Never get tired of that movie, and though everyone is fantastic in it - it's Vincent's performance that hooks me everytime!

Troy Howarth
08-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Theatre of Blood is one of my favorites. It's funny but also gruesome. Price is great, but what a cast: Diana Rigg, Ian Hendry, Dennis Price, Harry Andrews, Robert Morley, etc, etc.

Blake L.
08-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Theatre of Blood is awesome. I also love House on Haunted Hill and the Dr. Phibes films (even if Price is reduced somewhat by not being allowed the full range of his voice).

His death was heartbreaking for me, too. I had been a fan since I was a kid.

Price was also an author with a charming voice. I have his cookbook A Treasury of Great Recipes.

Jim R.
08-25-2010, 05:36 PM
Vincent Price is the only actor that I have 11 of his films on DVD. If that qualifies him as my favorite actor, then okay. I began watching his movies on TV as a kid. I can't remember which one I saw first, but I remember one funny story. I invited a friend over to stay the night. We stayed up late watching TV while my family was in bed. THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES was on, and we were going to watch it, but when Price took off his "mask" and I saw the "skull" face.....I freaked out and told my friend I wanted to see something else! I had to wait years later to watch the whole movie. (Ha ha.) I did see Vincent on THE MUPPET SHOW without being scared, though.

Michael Greenwood
08-25-2010, 05:40 PM
My biggest Vincent Price thing is what he did for the Hilarious House of Frightenstein as it was a staple on Southern Ontario television when I was young and I ate it up!

Pete H
08-25-2010, 06:51 PM
LOVE VINCENT PRICE!!!! check him out in two of the best night gallery episodes: return of the sorceror, and class of 99!!!! also did a great guest spot on, believe it or not, the MOD SQUAD!!!

Troy Howarth
08-25-2010, 09:16 PM
He did all kinds of TV - he popped up on The Brady Bunch, was a regular on Hollywood Squares, camped it up on Batman, did a guest red herring bit on Columbo...

Fred Anderson
08-26-2010, 02:48 AM
Anyone read "Vincent Price: A Daughters Biography" by Victoria Price? I think it's a really good book, with Vincent seen from her point of view. Nothing scandalous, but honest and very warm (though she seem to be less fond of Coral Brown). They clearly was very fond of each other.

"The Complete Films of Vincent Price" by Lucy Chase Williams is fun reading to, and is till a nice big book to read on a lazy sunday morning. She's not so fond of some of my favorites, like From a Whisper to a Scream - but I can live with that.

Troy Howarth
08-26-2010, 07:25 AM
I loved A Daughter's Biography - it's very frank without coming off as exploitative. We'll never know for sure about his sexuality - his daughter seems to lean towards his being bisexual - but at least she doesn't skirt around it. She also acknowledges that he was a mean drunk, but fortunately he wasn't an alcoholic so it wasn't something that surfaced too often. It's a great read that makes him a three dimensional human being.

Jonathan Douglas
08-26-2010, 09:59 AM
Price is also in one of the SNOOP SISTERS (1973) motw/episodes, as were Alice Cooper, Art Carney, Walter Pidgeon and Roddy McDowall. That series is coming complete on R1 DVD next year.

Fred Anderson
08-26-2010, 10:45 AM
I loved A Daughter's Biography - it's very frank without coming off as exploitative. We'll never know for sure about his sexuality - his daughter seems to lean towards his being bisexual - but at least she doesn't skirt around it. She also acknowledges that he was a mean drunk, but fortunately he wasn't an alcoholic so it wasn't something that surfaced too often. It's a great read that makes him a three dimensional human being.

I'm happy you enjoyed it - more should read it, highly recommended!

Paul Francis
08-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Big Vincent Price fan here. I always felt that his style was very much from the stage, where you have to emphasize more to get the performance across.

Faves are the the Corman Poe adaptations,Witchfinder General and I love Theater of Blood.

Jonathan Douglas
08-26-2010, 03:04 PM
One of Price's own favourites too, the film is just great from start to finish so can't be praised enough.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tJFCLyjhB6s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tJFCLyjhB6s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

cworkman
08-26-2010, 06:37 PM
I love Price and THE WITCHFINDER GENERAL but have never warmed to THEATRE OF BLOOD, despite having seen it as a kid and loving it way back then.

Steve R
08-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Big Price fan.

Having grown up with all of his "genre" roles from the Corman Poes to Phibes, the Fly, House on Haunted Hill, to The Tingler ... it was wonderful to "discover" his mainstream roles in Laura and His Kind of Woman as I got older. His character in HKOW is a hilarious send up of an oh so serious diva actor. He has a great time with it and his enthusiasm bursts off the screen,almost like he wants to share his good time with you. He had that quality in many of his roles, that ability to share his love of the part and the craft with his audience. Very generous and outgoing that way.

Wayne Schmidt
08-26-2010, 07:35 PM
He was great. He was also very funny. CHAMPAGNE FOR CAESAR, and of course the two AIP comedies. One of my favorite lines is in the opening of HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL - "This little party is my wife's idea . . . . she's so amusing." His delivery is . . . . well . . . . priceless. (Sorry)

WITCHFINDER GENERAL is my favorite Price performance though. Awesomely evil bastard.

John W.
08-26-2010, 07:36 PM
I love Vincent Price, too. His appearance in any movie makes it a more enjoyable experience. Theatre of Blood is great and I also love The Mad Magician, which is underrated. Last Man on Earth. Laura is a great movie. I haven't seen His Kind of Woman yet, but I'll seek it out. The Tingler is surreal and sublime.

Troy Howarth
08-27-2010, 07:27 AM
Theatre of Blood is one of my favorites; what a cast. I think I prefer the first Dr. Phibes, though. That one has the perfect blend of humor and horror.

Bob Lindstrom
08-27-2010, 10:36 AM
At the World 3D Film Festival in LA a few years ago, they showed a SPECTACULAR 3D print of "The Mad Magician." The newly-struck print was razor-sharp, full of detail (even low-budget films got first-rate production talent in the '50s) and Price in 3D was great.

Pete H
08-27-2010, 12:35 PM
can't believe no one has mentioned price as the inventor in edward scissorhands! a touching performance.....his last bow?

Troy Howarth
08-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Almost his last bow, but he did a cameo in a made for TV movie after that.

James Erickke
08-27-2010, 02:59 PM
I remember hearing an interview with Joan Rivers where she spoke at length about him and their friendship. They were so close that after he died, his family gave her some of his ashes which she still has. Crazy!

Christopher Quinn
08-28-2010, 02:20 AM
Like everyone else, a huge fan, one of my all-time favorite actors and I credit The Mad Magician which I caught on AMC a good 10 or more years ago as one of the big influences that got me into watching more classic films.

Also enjoyed all his movies with Gene Tierney, they really worked well together.

Marshall Crist
09-04-2010, 04:56 AM
This is maybe almost on topic. I was creepy crawling Amazon looking for Caroline Munro stuff, and I see that she has co-written a book called WOMEN IN THE HORROR FILMS OF VINCENT PRICE. Kind of hard to believe such a specific thing exists.

mark t
09-04-2010, 09:06 AM
I was not a fan of DAUGHTER'S BIOGRAPHY. Although i did find it in a bookstore on clearance for 4.99, which is not a bad price. :) Lots of information on the man, but, IMO, poorly written.

I work(ed) with a teacher who retired in the past couple of years...when he was a young guy, he was a theatre crew hand. He told me stories about how Vincent, the big star of the show, would join the crew for cards after the show in the backstage area, rather than being out socializing with the other famous folks. According to him, Vincent was a very regular, down-to-earth guy who would sit and play poker for hours, drinking scotch with them.

I'm very pleased that he's one of the actors that my daughter seems to be into as well. There's not a great volume of his work that i've been able to expose her to, but she likes what she's seen.

Matthew BB
09-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Yet another classic Price moment..

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EHNJN1qo5vI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EHNJN1qo5vI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Zane C.
09-04-2010, 12:38 PM
My biggest Vincent Price thing is what he did for the Hilarious House of Frightenstein as it was a staple on Southern Ontario television when I was young and I ate it up!

Ditto for me, although I saw HHOF through reruns in the 90's on Showcase Canada. I though it was great that he contributed to such a wacky show.

From what I read over at Frightenstein.com, Price did all the dialogue/scenes that you see in HHOF in a COUPLE OF DAYS! Apparently he glanced at the script, memorized it for a moment, then they shot the scene. He did this all day at a breakneck pace, and then disappeared, according to the story. Where did he go? He got a cab, went out and bought a flat of beer for the crew, brought it back, and told showbiz stories. The crew apparently loved him! He also worked for much less than his usual rate on the show, as he saw value in what they were doing.

I'm just repeating what I read over at Frightenstein.com, which you should definitely check out if you like the show, and probably not doing it justice, but the story impressed me as to what a nice guy Price was. They just don't make 'em like that anymore. Can anyone think of a star today that would do all that?

One other thing - years ago when I was a kid, Price appeared for a run at the Mayfield Dinner Theatre in Edmonton, and they have a portrait of him (as well as others who have performed there) in the building. My parents also enjoyed Price's acting, and unfortunately it turned out that we had just missed his run there when we stayed at the hotel that time! I would have loved to have seen him acting live....how cool would that have been?

Jonny Redman
10-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Here's a great interview with Vincent Price...

An Audience with Vincent Price (mp3, 175mb, 1h 16m) (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RY3P048S)

:cool:

Ian F
10-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Legend. The man could be great in anything!
http://mimg.ugo.com/201002/37102/cuts/theaterofblood_288x288.jpg
How many lesser actors would have made Theater of Blood crappy?

Troy Howarth
10-24-2010, 12:54 PM
True - but at least he had such a phenomenal supporting cast to play off of: Diana Rigg, Ian Hendry, Dennis Price (no relation), Harry Andrews, Michael Hordern, Robert Morley, Jack Hawkins, Milo O'Shea, etc, etc. No wonder he loved that film so much - and he met the love of his life, Coral Browne, on it, to boot - it was she that he fries up as Butch. :)

GaryM
10-24-2010, 10:55 PM
A true legend and seemingly a complete class act of an individual offscreen, I really enjoy watching Price in most everything, even if I only particularly love a few of his films, notably the 2 DR. PHIBES films, WITCHFINDER GENERAL, SCREAM AND SCREAM AGAIN, THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH, THE HOUSE OF THE SEVEN GABLES -- which he's really fantastic in. I can't recommend that Universal Vault Series DVD enough!

Troy Howarth
10-25-2010, 07:25 AM
Those are some of my favorites, too, Gary!

Jonny Redman
10-25-2010, 07:46 AM
Here's a great interview with Vincent Price...

An Audience with Vincent Price (mp3, 175mb, 1h 16m) (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RY3P048S)

I've just noticed that I have 'An Audience With...' interviews for Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee too if anyone's interested I could upload those as well.

Troy Howarth
10-25-2010, 08:38 AM
I actually have those on CD - I'd encourage anybody who likes these actors to listen to them if Jonny can upload them!

DeannaR
10-25-2010, 11:20 AM
He passed away 17 years ago today.

Troy Howarth
10-25-2010, 11:35 AM
I still remember it vividly. I was on the school bus heading to high school, and the driver had the radio on. It came on as a news flash, and I couldn't believe it... I had to keep my emotions in check all day, and when I went home that night I actually cried; it was like losing your favorite eccentric uncle.

Richard Owen
10-25-2010, 11:37 AM
I've just noticed that I have 'An Audience With...' interviews for Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee too if anyone's interested I could upload those as well.

Funnily enough I uploaded them all for another forum a few days ago so if anybody here wants them I can save you the bother.

GaryM
10-25-2010, 11:29 PM
Those are some of my favorites, too, Gary!

Great PA minds think alike sometimes, haha! As someone who lurks more than contributes, I can't stress enough how much I've respected your genre knowledge and opinions, that consistent ability to concisely express it all in written form....soaking this forum in is addictive, always informative, so big thanks to all the regular contributors to this site!!

Richard, if you still have the links handy, I'd really appreciate it if you could post 'em; thank you!

Jon Houghton
10-25-2010, 11:35 PM
Funnily enough I uploaded them all for another forum a few days ago so if anybody here wants them I can save you the bother.

I would very much like to listen to those Richard if you would be so kind.

Jon Houghton
10-26-2010, 12:05 AM
speaking of Price, when the hell did the colorize House On Haunted Hill??? Am I that out of the loop that I had no clue in my 30 years that they had done this???

Richard Owen
10-26-2010, 12:25 AM
I would very much like to listen to those Richard if you would be so kind.

No problem, sir.

http://rapidshare.com/files/425928607/An.Audience.with.Peter.Cushing.mp3

http://rapidshare.com/files/426007446/An.Audience.with.Christopher.Lee.mp3

Jon Houghton
10-26-2010, 12:27 AM
much obliged. I will listen to them tomorrow.

Phil B.
10-26-2010, 12:31 AM
speaking of Price, when the hell did the colorize House On Haunted Hill??? Am I that out of the loop that I had no clue in my 30 years that they had done this???

I saw that on a dollar DVD recently. The public domain can be such a wasteland at times, but ocassionally it's worth the bumps in road.

Phil B.
10-26-2010, 12:43 AM
1939 Tower of London
1940 The Invisible Man Returns
1944 Laura
1945 Leave Her to Heaven
1946 Shock
1946 Dragonwyck
1948 Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein
1953 House of Wax
1954 The Mad Magician
1955 Son of Sinbad
1958 The Fly
1959 House on Haunted Hill
1959 The Tingler
1959 Return of the Fly
1959 The Bat
1960 House of Usher
1961 Pit & the Pendulum
1962 Tower of London
1963 The Raven
1963 Diary of a Madman
1963 The Haunted Palace
1963 Twice-Told Tales
1964 The Comedy of Terrors
1964 The Last Man on Earth
1964 Masque of the Red Death
1964 Tomb of Ligeia
1968 Spirits of the Dead (narrator)
1968 Witchfinder General
1968 More Dead Than Alive
1969 Scream and Scream Again
1969 The Oblong Box
1970 Cry of the Banshee
1971 The Abominable Dr. Phibes
1972 An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe
1972 Dr. Phibes Rises Again
1974 Madhouse
1975 Alice Cooper: The Nightmare
1975 Journey Into Fear
1979 The Strange Case of Alice Cooper
1979 Once Upon a Midnight Scary
1980 The Monster Club
1982 Vincent
1983 House of the Long Shadows
1984 Bloodbath at the House of Death
1987 The Offspring
1988 Dead Heat
1990 Edward Scissorhands

Wayne Schmidt
10-26-2010, 01:10 AM
Price did a two record set called "Witchcraft and Magic" that I used to listen to every Halloween season. I still have it on vinyl but I don't have a turntable anymore. If anyone sees it floating around on mp3 I'd really appreciate the info.

Edit: Never mind, found it. Google is your friend. :)

Phil B.
10-26-2010, 02:04 AM
Price did a two record set called "Witchcraft and Magic" that I used to listen to every Halloween season. I still have it on vinyl but I don't have a turntable anymore. If anyone sees it floating around on mp3 I'd really appreciate the info.

Edit: Never mind, found it. Google is your friend. :)

ooohhhhh I really want that album..what was your address again? :D

Troy Howarth
10-26-2010, 08:31 AM
Great PA minds think alike sometimes, haha! As someone who lurks more than contributes, I can't stress enough how much I've respected your genre knowledge and opinions, that consistent ability to concisely express it all in written form....soaking this forum in is addictive, always informative, so big thanks to all the regular contributors to this site!!

Richard, if you still have the links handy, I'd really appreciate it if you could post 'em; thank you!

You do me far too much credit, but thanks so much for the kind words!

Wayne Schmidt
10-26-2010, 12:23 PM
ooohhhhh I really want that album..what was your address again? :DI'm in the vinyl protection program . . . . you'll never find me. :D

Amazingly, the Vincent Price record is on Amazon download for $9.50 or thereabouts (it's a two record set and runs about 90 minutes if I remember correctly, so that's not too bad), and they include a .pdf of the original booklet that came with it! Pretty cool!

Phil B.
10-26-2010, 12:29 PM
I'm in the vinyl protection program . . . . you'll never find me. :D

Amazingly, the Vincent Price record is on Amazon download for $9.50 or thereabouts (it's a two record set and runs about 90 minutes if I remember correctly, so that's not too bad), and they include a .pdf of the original booklet that came with it! Pretty cool!

Thanks for the info. on that Wayne. I might grab that as a taster, but I really want the vinyl, too. You can't hide forever. :cool: