PDA

View Full Version : Doc's about the beat writers...

AdamAskov
08-23-2010, 11:21 AM
My GF is looking for doc's about the beat generation Hunter S excluded. Any recommendations?

hettie jones, diana di prima, neal cassady, carolyn cassady, herbert huncke, gary snyder, ferlinghetti, LeRoi jones... etc

Thanks!

AdamAskov
08-23-2010, 11:26 AM
kerouac, ginsberg, burroughs, joan haverty...

Marshall Crist
08-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Somewhat improbably, the guy who directed my favorite film (REVENGE OF THE CHEERLEADERS) also did a film called WHAT HAPPENED TO KEROUAC? Haven't seen it.

RichardDoyle
08-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Hunter S. Thompson is not a beat author.

The Beat Generation: An American Dream (1987) - released on VHS
Gang of Souls: A Generation of Beat Poets (2008) - doesn't seem to have been released on home video
The Source (1999) - made for TV, has been released on DVD
Burroughs (1983) - also doesn't appear to have been released on home video

Steve R
08-23-2010, 05:30 PM
While there are many great books on this not so many films.

I like this one a lot,
The Life and Times of Allen Ginsberg
Should be pretty easy to find, too. Besides covering Ginsberg, you
get a feel for the period and the other writers he hung around with.
Ginsberg is very articulate.

Yes, Hunter was not a beat and there are several others you list that are not, but the point is yes, please jump in and learn about it.
It's a really neat time period and I can't emphasize enough how cool some of the pictures of the era are,
all these guys on their eleventh cup of coffee, their second pack of smokes yammering away in
some desolate coffee shop at two in the morning.

Matthew BB
08-23-2010, 09:00 PM
My GF is looking for doc's about the beat generation

Maybe try FLICKER.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1236194/

More about the time and some of the people (Burroughs especially) than the writing. Though I do think that the main subject, artist and Dream Machine inventor Brion Gysin, was technically considered a beat writer too.

Andrew Ellis
08-25-2010, 08:44 PM
It's not JUST about the Beats, but "Poetry in Motion" is pretty OK. Ginsberg and Burroughs both read on it, and a couple of others like Michael McClure and (I think) Gregory Corso do as well.

I can't remember, but I think there was actually at one time a documentary or docudrama called "Burroughs". I have never seen it around though.