PDA

View Full Version : So, Where do you get your FIX?

Arif Khan
08-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Since a lot of the major cult sellers have gone under, do you find it harder to get your CULT fix?

It seems Diabolik DVD seems to be one of the few sellers still active.

Marshall Crist
08-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Torrent sites. JK

Steven Millan
08-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Torrent sites. JK

Apparently so,for it looks like torrents are the only folks who are keeping the OOP titles still alive and active(since they're now in the public domain for any YouTube member to post).

And BTW:when it comes to torrents,I only watch the hard-to-find public domain stuff and not the legally copyrighted stuff.

Jon Houghton
08-19-2010, 01:30 AM
I get my fix from a black dude named Junebug on 45th and 3rd......oh, you meant cult movie fix :o either from Diabolik or Something Weird Video. HKFlix has a bunch of stuff I want, but I have never ordered from them before and don't know how quick they ship

Mark C.
08-19-2010, 01:44 AM
Amazon.co.uk
dvdpacific.com
amazon.com
oldies.com
deepdiscountdvd.com
ebay.com
Merlin.pl
medienhandel.at
I buy from these retailers on a regular basis. And since I dont own my own business anymore I stopped buying direct from the small boutique labels. Buying direct was good for a while, But I would have to buy alot, I was getting stuff for really cheap though.

Aaron G
08-19-2010, 03:28 AM
Since I will only be buying BluRay titles from now on, I basically just buy from Deepdiscount.com and DVDPacific.com..

I'll never buy a DVD again, unless it's something really obscure that won't get a BR release, like the Pedro Costa boxset that Criterion put out.

Patrick B.
08-19-2010, 04:22 AM
Dvdpacific.com
Diabolikdvd.com
Play.com

Frankie T.
08-19-2010, 08:14 AM
Amazon.com
DiabolikDVD.com
Ebay.com (Xploited Cinema still sells X amount of stuff on Ebay)

Jason K
08-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Amazon.com
DeepDiscount.com
DiabolikDVD.com
DVDPacific.com
Amazon.co.uk

Also sometimes in person at Best Buy, but rarely do they have much. I did get Piranha on Blu-Ray from them recently which I wasn't expecting them to have.

RichardDoyle
08-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Amazon.ca
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
DiabolikDVD
HKFlix
SomethingWeird
EBay

David Lopez
08-19-2010, 04:32 PM
HKFlix has a bunch of stuff I want, but I have never ordered from them before and don't know how quick they ship

I've ordered from them in the past and pretty much every purchase took them at least a couple of weeks/a month for them to ship.

Jon Houghton
08-19-2010, 04:39 PM
I've ordered from them in the past and pretty much every purchase took them at least a couple of weeks/a month for them to ship.

that is a long time to wait. are they based in Honk Kong? it would make perfect sense based on the name. may have to find somewhere else to get my Tinto Brass stuff then. thanks for the heads up.

John K
08-19-2010, 05:32 PM
that is a long time to wait. are they based in Honk Kong? it would make perfect sense based on the name. may have to find somewhere else to get my Tinto Brass stuff then. thanks for the heads up.

They're US-based. They're fine if the stuff's in stock - if it says "in stock" or "low stock" you're probably good - it means they have stuff on hand and will get it out to you, and you'll have it in a matter of days. When stuff says "special order," that's when the waiting begins. Of course, the more obscure the item, the less of a chance they'll have it on hand, and then they'll have to back-order it and it'll take a while. One annoying thing is if you order something from them and it turns out they can't get it after all (it's gone OOP or something) they credit your account instead of directly refunding you. Their prices are decent, I find - not as good as DVD Pacific, which is my main source these days, but sometimes they'll have stuff DVDP doesn't, or occasionally they've discounted something and it's cheaper anyway.

To answer the larger question, this is how it breaks down for me (sort of reflected by the above). The following are in order of preference for me:

1. eBay / Amazon marketplace - honestly, most of my buying is here these days; if you're buying a single item, it's generally where you can find the best deal, even on new stuff - better than any etailer I often find

2. DVDPacific / AdultDVDPacific - As far as I can tell, this seems to be the cheapest etailer out there right now - low prices and free shipping on orders over $30 (though there are some obnoxious new rules where they add small charges for multi-set items), so this makes them better for multi-item orders than 3rd party sellers, who usually try to recoup some item cost by charging much larger shipping fees ($3 plus $1.50 to $3 for each additional item?! Is someone going to bike these over and give me a blowjob after or what?)

2*. Deepdiscount is pretty comparable, I think - prices aren't quite as good but I think all shipping is still free - but since I live in Illinois, where they're located, sales tax invariably makes them less of a good deal for me, so I've pretty much stopped going there

3. HKFlix - Generally decent prices, though not as good as DVDPacific/deepdiscount. Sometimes a better selection, though, and they carry foreign releases (lots of R2, plenty of R2, PAL, etc). Concerns reflected above (slow service on backorders, and probably more backorders than some larger operations; undeliverable items credited to your account instead of refunded directly). I think there's free shipping over $49, but I've never hit that threshold, so it's much less useful than $30.

4. Diabolik - I'd love to support them more, but price-wise it just doesn't make sense. Other companies routinely out-price them by a few dollars a title, plus their shipping is far too expensive ($5 for the first title?! Have you never heard of Media shipping?). I really only use them for titles I can't get anywhere else (they have more Euro DVDs than HKFlix, for instance). They're also good for stuff that's recently gone OOP, as you can see if they have any in stock, and they'll oftentimes have some remain even for a while after. This is where I scored the last copy of NoShame's UBALDA on Earth, for instance.

Anyone use CDUniverse? I've been wondering about that for a while, but looking at their shipping info, I'm not sure if they're particularly worth my while. Thoughts?

Terry Carpenter
08-19-2010, 06:01 PM
DVD Atlantic

Jason K
08-19-2010, 06:09 PM
I've ordered from HKFlix before and had my DVDs within about 7-10 business days. As it's already been pointed out, it's just a matter of actually making sure it's listed in stock and not a special order. They usually ship the same day or the next if the entire order is in stock.

David Lopez
08-19-2010, 06:30 PM
I've ordered from HKFlix before and had my DVDs within about 7-10 business days. As it's already been pointed out, it's just a matter of actually making sure it's listed in stock and not a special order. They usually ship the same day or the next if the entire order is in stock.
As a fair number of titles on their website are listed as special orders I made certain that what I ordered was in-stock but still had to wait weeks before they actually shipped.

Matthew BB
08-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Online:
amazon.com
diabolik

In store:
Newbury Comics

Also, I go to about 2 conventions a year and buy a shitload of titles right from the label as vendor, like Synapse, After Hours, etc. David Gregory himself sold me my copy of THE SINFUL DWARF. I asked him his personal preference between the 2 versions and he told me that the non-XXX cut somehow seemed even sleazier to him. That was the one I purchased.

Ian Miller
08-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Amazon.com
Ebay
HK Flix
Deep Discount (not often, but occasionally you'll find things still in stock that other sellers are jacking prices on)

This has pretty much killed my "in-store" dvd purchasing, though occasionally I'll still hunt for vhs.

Shane K
08-19-2010, 07:55 PM
DVD Atlantic

They have a special on steamers this week.