PDA

View Full Version : The best film you've seen in the last 3 years

Dominic D
08-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Looking to find some masterpieces I may not be aware of. Generally asking people what their favorite film is garners fairly predictable responses. There are certain films that come up again and again because we've loved them since forever. I figured I might get a more varied response if I ask what's your favorite film you've seen in the last 3 years (by which I mean films that you've watched in the last 3 years not films that were made in that period).

For me I'm going to go with La Grande Bouffe. My favorite films are almost trash art films. Films that blur blur the line between the art house and the grindhouse. This is as good an example as I can think of. It's a horrible foul film about a group of guys who lock themselves up in a country mansion with only whores and a very full larder for company and proceed to try and eat themselves to death.

For all it's repulsiveness though it's a clever, witty well made film featuring some of Europe's top talent of the day. The central idea is interesting to me as well. I think some write it off as purely nihilistic but I think there's something almost admirable in these guys who are getting older taking destiny in their own hands and choosing the way they want to go out. It's a hell of a film.

So what's yours?

Troy Howarth
08-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Funnily enough - given that my interest tends to be towards older films, though I'm obviously keen on a lot of newer ones - my favorite film and the best I've seen these past three years are one and the same: There Will Be Blood.

Shane K
08-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Payday (1973) - Saw it for the first time in the summer of 2007. If I was ever going to emulate a character from a film, Maury Dann would be my first pick.

Kristian R
08-12-2010, 10:37 PM
AM1200

Shane K
08-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Looking to find some masterpieces I may not be aware of. Generally asking people what their favorite film is garners fairly predictable responses. There are certain films that come up again and again because we've loved them since forever. I figured I might get a more varied response if I ask what's your favorite film you've seen in the last 3 years (by which I mean films that you've watched in the last 3 years not films that were made in that period).

For me I'm going to go with La Grande Bouffe. My favorite films are almost trash art films. Films that blur blur the line between the art house and the grindhouse. This is as good an example as I can think of. It's a horrible foul film about a group of guys who lock themselves up in a country mansion with only whores and a very full larder for company and proceed to try and eat themselves to death.

For all it's repulsiveness though it's a clever, witty well made film featuring some of Europe's top talent of the day. The central idea is interesting to me as well. I think some write it off as purely nihilistic but I think there's something almost admirable in these guys who are getting older taking destiny in their own hands and choosing the way they want to go out. It's a hell of a film.

So what's yours?

I just recently watched my copy of Dillinger is Dead, and was blown away. I wrote a mini review for it in the Marco Ferreri thread, in case you're interested. Thanks to your reminder and recommendation, as well as Matthew BB's, I just placed an order for La Grande bouffe. I somehow managed to forget to a few weeks ago, so I corrected that this very moment.

Matthew BB
08-12-2010, 11:28 PM
I just recently watched my copy of Dillinger is Dead, and was blown away. I wrote a mini review for it in the Marco Ferreri thread, in case you're interested. Thanks to your reminder and recommendation, as well as Matthew BB's, I just placed an order for La Grande bouffe. I somehow managed to forget to a few weeks ago, so I corrected that this very moment.

Yeah, I have no doubt that you'll really dig that one, Shane :cool:. It's a little difficult at times, but pretty goddamn wild and great. Nice write up, Dominic.

I don't know anything about AM1200, but PAYDAY and obviously THERE WILL BE BLOOD are both titles that I've seen in the last few years that also happen to be personal all-time favorites.

I'm really tired right now, but one other title that immediately came to mind is CUTTER'S WAY. Saw that for the first time about 2 years ago. Lately, it seems that many of us have been bringing up and discussing some neat 70's/80's American dramas and crime films. I like that.

Dominic D
08-12-2010, 11:47 PM
I've been meaning to see Cutter's Way. Went to the store to get it the other day but they didn't have any copies. I'll add Payday to the list. What is AM 1200?

Marshall Crist
08-12-2010, 11:56 PM
BLACK DYNAMITE
VALERIE AND HER WEEK OF WONDERS

Zane C.
08-13-2010, 01:18 AM
Stallone's RAMBO.

It was an extended middle finger to the garbage that is passing for action films these days, and an antithesis to all the PC filmmaking in Hollywood. It makes absolutely no excuses, and doesn't shy away from what battle looks like. And to my way of thinking, if this is indeed the last Rambo film (I'll admit, I hope it's not), Sly sent the character off in style.

I can only hope THE EXPENDABLES is half as good! :D

THE DARK KNIGHT is a close second. Everything that can be said has already been said about this, but it's by far the best comic book film ever made, IMO (and a lot of other people's).

John K
08-13-2010, 02:26 AM
A lot of stuff already mentioned: SHUTTER ISLAND, THERE WILL BE BLOOD, VALERIE AND HER WEEK OF WONDERS.

Watched AMERICAN GRAFFITI & JAWS again for a film class...it was one of those "I've seen this already...do I *really* need to watch it again? I know it's good." But then you watch it and you remember it's FUCKING INCREDIBLE.

Looking through my Netflix ratings...CAPTURING THE FRIEDMANS. DR. GIGGLES. DR. LAMB. GRAN TORINO (almost forgot about that one...blew me away...ending falters a little, but until then it's perfect). HEART IS DECEITFUL ABOVE ALL THINGS. HELL HOUSE. HURT LOCKER. KEN PARK. KOYAANISQUATSI (politics aside, as filmmaking it's breathtaking). MADMAN. NANOOK OF THE NORTH. NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN. PALINDROMES. PATHER PANCHALI. RE-ANIMATOR. SPLATTER FARM. THE STRANGERS. TRAFIC (Tati...haven't seen the Soderburg). WASSUP ROCKERS (again, falters toward the end, but the first 2/3rds are pitch-perfect neo-neo-realism by way of Pasolinian voyeurism...breathtaking).

I'm delighted by the way that list ping-pongs all over the place. Surely there's some stuff there you haven't seen...and surely some stuff you'll hate, too. :p

Vincent Pereira
08-13-2010, 02:51 AM
Steve McQueen's f**king brilliant HUNGER...

PERIOD.

Single best English-language film of the entire decade IMO.

Vincent

P.S.- Why are so many folks putting films from the 1990s onto their lists? I thought this was "the last three years"?

Mike S.
08-13-2010, 03:55 AM
P.S.- Why are so many folks putting films from the 1990s onto their lists? I thought this was "the last three years"?

It's not when the movie was released, it's when you first saw it.

Keith B.
08-13-2010, 11:22 AM
THERE WILL BE BLOOD and LET THE RIGHT ONE IN. Both are masterpieces IMO.

Clive Smith
08-13-2010, 11:24 AM
AM1200

Woof! I got this a couple of months back - it's brilliant and actually manages a Lovecraftian vibe. VERY high production values for a short too.

I saw NIGHT OF THE DEVILS for the first time last year. Classic.

Yeah, Keith, and LET THE RIGHT ONE IN.

Gary Banks
08-13-2010, 11:40 AM
In the theatre I would have to say THE DARK KNIGHT.

There are way too many contenders for the dvd viewings to mention.

Chris Kewley
08-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Stallone's RAMBO.

It was an extended middle finger to the garbage that is passing for action films these days, and an antithesis to all the PC filmmaking in Hollywood. It makes absolutely no excuses, and doesn't shy away from what battle looks like. And to my way of thinking, if this is indeed the last Rambo film (I'll admit, I hope it's not), Sly sent the character off in style.

THE DARK KNIGHT is a close second. Everything that can be said has already been said about this, but it's by far the best comic book film ever made, IMO (and a lot of other people's).

Right on Zane, this would be my pick as well.

Jon Houghton
08-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Black Dynamite--being a huge blaxploitation fan, this one was completely awesome!

Inside--those crazy French really know how to make a brutal film. :D :D

I know there are more, but I am too lazy to think of them right now

Paul A J Lewis
08-13-2010, 12:26 PM
New releases? Probable UN PROPHETE, ZODIAC, MAD DETECTIVE or the MESRINE pictures, or perhaps THE BAADER-MEINHOF COMPLEX.

Adrian K.
08-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Hi there!
I've been (passively) enjoying this forum for a year or so. Time for a small contribution.
Best recent films: Let the right one in, Tell No One, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.
Best older films seen in the last three years: The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (Powell & Pressburger), Milan Calibro 9 (Fernando Di Leo)...

Paul A J Lewis
08-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Welcome, Adrian :)

danielb
08-13-2010, 03:56 PM
One that comes to mind is John Stagilano's epic conclusion to his Fashionistas trilogy: Fashionistas Safado: Berlin. Underrated and underseen but still one the best things I watched in the last few years.

RichardDoyle
08-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Theatrically: Antichrist

Since I must have watched over 1500 DVDs in the last 3 years, I can't begin to figure out which was the best.

Matthew BB
08-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Theatrically: Antichrist

I didn't see it in the theater, but you just reminded me that ANTICHRIST is high on my list, too.

Thomas D.
08-13-2010, 08:18 PM
In terms of an older film on DVD, I would go with Veneno para las hadas (1984), which I think I bought on DVD within the past three years. If not, then La belle captive, which I know I first saw about three years ago.

In terms of a new movie I first saw on DVD within the last 3 years - Black Book

Theatrical only - No Country For Old Men

Emanuele Sheriff
08-13-2010, 10:48 PM
It's a few years old but THE BEAT THAT MY HEART SKIPPED on DVD was very impressive! A tough French flick directed by Jacques Audiard and a superb central performance by Romain Duris.

Eric B
08-13-2010, 11:23 PM
CACHE (HIDDEN). I was completely drawn in and blown away.

Chris Baker
08-13-2010, 11:42 PM
It's a few years old but THE BEAT THAT MY HEART SKIPPED on DVD was very impressive! A tough French flick directed by Jacques Audiard and a superb central performance by Romain Duris.

I'll second this; Duris is remarkable.

Derrick King
08-14-2010, 03:36 AM
Maybe not the best film I've seen (it is the first one to pop in my mind), but Alberto Lattuada's MAFIOSO is pretty great. INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS is the best film I've seen in a theater in the past 3 years.

Richard R.
08-14-2010, 02:37 PM
I want to look smart and cool by writing the title of something cynical, mean, obscure, and/or hip... but honestly? My real, sincere favorite of the past three years?

I was like a comic book brought to life and made me feel like a little kid for 2+ hours.

Plus, I love 3-D.

Plus, monsters.

Alex K.
08-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Are we going with movies that have been released in the last 3 years, or movies that we've seen (regardless of release date) that have most impressed us in the last 3 years?

If it's the former, my vote would be for Inglourious Basterds. Just a really tight picture. Honorable mentions to District 9 and Von Trier's Antichrist.

If it's the later, then The Passion of Joan of Arc. It left an impression in the same manner that Cannibal Holocaust had done almost a decade ago. I consider the two (unrelated) films to be the Ying/Yang of emotional devastation.

Troy Howarth
08-14-2010, 03:00 PM
I think it means anything you've seen for the first time over the past three years.

Emanuele Sheriff
08-14-2010, 03:41 PM
CACHE (HIDDEN). I was completely drawn in and blown away.

Yeah forgot about that. Great film ( though there seems to be two different endings vis-a-vis the European versus North American cut).

Chris Baker
08-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Maybe not the best film I've seen (it is the first one to pop in my mind), but Alberto Lattuada's MAFIOSO is pretty great. INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS is the best film I've seen in a theater in the past 3 years.

Oh, cool - MAFIOSO was an impulse borrow from the library and it's sitting here unwatched (as of yet)

Eric B
08-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Yeah forgot about that. Great film ( though there seems to be two different endings vis-a-vis the European versus North American cut).
The only time I saw CACHE was when I rented it from Netflix. I recently acquired the UK Blu-ray. I wonder if I will see a different ending this time.

Jack J
08-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Stallone's RAMBO.

Excellent choice and I would second that if someone else hadn't already done it. So I'll THIRD it!!

Eric B
08-14-2010, 09:16 PM
RAMBO...what's better, theatrical or extended?

Jack J
08-14-2010, 09:20 PM
I've only watched it on DVD so I assume that's the extended version and, well, I'd also assume the extra bits is gore and blood and if that's the case I'd say go for the extended version.

Eric B
08-15-2010, 07:56 AM
Okay, I'm watching THERE WILL BE BLOOD for the umpteenth time. This movie is like James Joyce's ULYSSES. Text and subtext intertwine and create a horrible beauty I can't turn away from.

THERE WILL BE BLOOD is definitely the best film I've seen in the last 3 years. NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN is a close second.

Aaron G
08-15-2010, 10:57 AM
I've seen a few 'masterpieces' in the last three years:

ZODIAC
SYNECDOCHE NY
CHILDREN OF MEN
THERE WILL BE BLOOD
ENTER THE VOID
LEBANON
GREENBERG
HURT LOCKER
A SERIOUS MAN

Troy Howarth
08-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Okay, I'm watching THERE WILL BE BLOOD for the umpteenth time. This movie is like James Joyce's ULYSSES. Text and subtext intertwine and create a horrible beauty I can't turn away from.

THERE WILL BE BLOOD is definitely the best film I've seen in the last 3 years. NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN is a close second.

I adore There Will Be Blood. It's so hypnotic, even though there isn't much in the way of action. It has its own mood, its own pace and a galvanizing central peformance. I could watch it every week.

cworkman
08-15-2010, 02:15 PM
THERE WILL BE BLOOD is, in my opinion, one of THE great movies of all time. It's unique in the way it tells its story; it has superb performances, is well written, shot, etc. So, I have to agree, it IS the best film of the last three years.

Steve R
08-15-2010, 03:11 PM
contemporary films
There Will Be Blood
In Bruges
Paranoid Park
Hard Candy
Special
Grey Gardens
This Is England
Somertown
Deathnote
Note By Note
Taken
Up In The Air
Baader-Meinhoff Complex
Let The Right One In
Girl With The Green Dragon Tatto
Troubled Water

Steve R
08-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Older films seen for the first time(or seen the right way finally)
Day Of The Outlaw
Whole Wide World
The Hit
Thieves Highway
Cry Of The City
The Sniper
Nightfall
The Proud Ones
Man From Laramie
These Are The Damned

Troy Howarth
08-15-2010, 03:22 PM
THERE WILL BE BLOOD is, in my opinion, one of THE great movies of all time. It's unique in the way it tells its story; it has superb performances, is well written, shot, etc. So, I have to agree, it IS the best film of the last three years.

You'll get no argument from me on that... There are a number of new films I love, but There Will Be Blood really is something special.

Aaron G
08-15-2010, 08:17 PM
You'll get no argument from me on that... There are a number of new films I love, but There Will Be Blood really is something special.

I think ZODIAC is a finer film than THERE WILL BE BLOOD and all these peple are just sucking up to you. While I think BLOOD is a remarkable film, I don't think it's better than MAGNOLIA or PUNCH DRUNK LOVE, I think the characters overall are more interesting and complex in those two films than BLOOD. While I saw BLOOd again on BluRay and really enjoyed it, there was just something I couldn't really put my finger on that stopped it from being an out-and-out masterpiece, and I think it was the characters being to obvious, but mainstream audiences demand that.

Jon Houghton
08-15-2010, 09:06 PM
The Opening Of Misty Beethoven(this completely deserves all the praise it gets. loved every minute of it)
Maraschino Cherry(same comments as Misty....)
Black Belly Of The Tarantula
Case Of The Scorpion's Tail
Case Of The Bloody Iris

Troy Howarth
08-15-2010, 09:45 PM
I think ZODIAC is a finer film than THERE WILL BE BLOOD and all these peple are just sucking up to you. While I think BLOOD is a remarkable film, I don't think it's better than MAGNOLIA or PUNCH DRUNK LOVE, I think the characters overall are more interesting and complex in those two films than BLOOD. While I saw BLOOd again on BluRay and really enjoyed it, there was just something I couldn't really put my finger on that stopped it from being an out-and-out masterpiece, and I think it was the characters being to obvious, but mainstream audiences demand that.

Zodiac is an excellent film, but it's not in the same league as There Will Be Blood... I also think Blood is Anderson's masterpiece by far. If people are indeed sucking up to me (can't think why, though) I'd say they're right to do so.

John G.
08-15-2010, 09:54 PM
Hahaha.

And you know, when I say "In my opinion, THERE WILL BE BLOOD is the best film of the last decade," I'm just being polite, or rather redundant, since my opinion is always a fact. :D

cworkman
08-15-2010, 10:02 PM
I would argue that ZODIAC is in the same league as THERE WILL BE BLOOD. Both of them are about as close to perfection as you can get.

Troy Howarth
08-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Oh yes, they're both excellent... but Blood is the clear cut winner, IMO. Mind you, that's not a slag against Zodiac.

Jonathan D. Cox
08-16-2010, 01:57 AM
SHUTTER ISLAND
INCEPTION
PROFOUND DESIRES OF THE GODS
HARVEY KRUMPET
THE PROPOSITION
THE FANTASTIC MR. FOX
SILIP