PDA

View Full Version : The Allnighter/Cross My Heart - Anybody Get This?

Luis Domenech
08-12-2010, 06:27 PM
I love 80's comedies but I don't think I've seen these two. Susanna Hoffs from The Bangles is in one of them, I didn't know she made movies. I always had a crush on her and might pick up the DVD just to check her out. Anyway, nobody's talking about these flicks on here (probably because they're not A/V Maniacs material?) so I'm curious if anyone has gotten these discs and can post their thoughts on the films as well as the quality of the presentation. It's actually kind of rare for a major studio to release deep catalog titles these days so these are sort of a pleasant surprise (if they're good, that is).

Marshall Crist
08-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Have not seen these. Hoffs' mom was a director. I think she directed this? I saw a short that her mom did and "The Bangs" were in it. (Earlier incarnation of the band.)

Ian Miller
08-12-2010, 07:03 PM
I saw a short that her mom did and "The Bangs" were in it. (Earlier incarnation of the band.)

Sounds awesome! I wanna see it.

I've never seen THE ALLNIGHTER, but I think I remember hearing that Sue has a nude scene in this?

Kamyar
08-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Amazon lists an old (from 1999!) Anchor Bay disc for "The Allnighter" (sub-licensed from "Universal") which included a lot of supplementary material like an audio commentary with Susanna, the short film mentioned above, the trailer and a music video. It'll be interesting to see whether the new "Universal" disc has any of those.

Max Page
08-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Universal did not use the AB extras for MELVIN AND HOWARD when they released thier version, so its highly unlikely.

Kamyar
08-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Bummer. This takes me back to "Laserdisc having extras the DVD doesn't have" times.
Oh well, at least it means the "Anchor Bay" disc is still a worthy collectable item.

Daniel S.S.
08-12-2010, 08:31 PM
I've never seen THE ALLNIGHTER, but I think I remember hearing that Sue has a nude scene in this?

Just bra & panties muh friend. But still, she's very cute.

Ray R
08-13-2010, 02:16 AM
Amazon lists an old (from 1999!) Anchor Bay disc for "The Allnighter" (sub-licensed from "Universal") which included a lot of supplementary material like an audio commentary with Susanna, the short film mentioned above, the trailer and a music video. It'll be interesting to see whether the new "Universal" disc has any of those.

This is the DVD I have, got it off eBay several years ago and has the distinction of being my very first DVD.

Thomas D.
08-13-2010, 03:39 AM
Just bra & panties muh friend. But still, she's very cute.
YIKES!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vhztl_x2wtM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vhztl_x2wtM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

HUBBA!

I have this on VHS, and it's a pretty good girl power/coming of age thing, but not particularly funny. However, it's pretty much mandatory for Susanna Hoffs fans.

Daniel S.S.
08-13-2010, 07:11 AM
However, it's pretty much mandatory for Susanna Hoffs fans.

As you can see...

Luis Domenech
08-13-2010, 08:49 AM

I'm gonna be needin' that AB disc, then - never knew this was released previously. Sadly, this new DVD doesn't even have a menu(!). Talk about bare bones. The chick from Vamp is also in this and she's kinda cute too.

Andrew Ellis
08-13-2010, 01:42 PM
That still above might be the best part of the movie.

I like 80's teen comedies, but I prefer the early 80's ones ("The Allnighter" came out in '86 or '87, I think). The later 80's movies got too sickeningly romantic thanks to John Hughes and too socially responsible thanks to the Reagans. Then the death knell of the genre came when Coey Haim/Feldman showed up. . .

Ray R
08-14-2010, 10:32 PM
I also liked Pam Grier's bit part as Sgt. McLeish.