PDA

View Full Version : THE KTC PROCESS- Unusual Copyguard Notice on VHS tape

Mark R. Hill
08-12-2010, 02:06 AM
Greetings Group,

I picked up a tape at a local thrift store that had a copyguard notice at the start of the tape- a process I had never heard of before. Has anyone else ever heard of this??? Here are the details:

"This tape has ***THE KTC PROCESS***"

*_*_*
CAT SITTING VIDEO (Video wallpaper for cats)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sci, inc. 4621 Wilcoxn Red., Holt, MI 48842
1-740-549-0157 www. billybobvideo. com
Studio: GO CAT # ASIN: B0006Q4AVI
copyright 1999

*_*_*
There is nothing noted on the cover, the TAPE opens with this message:

This tape has ***THE KTC PROCESS*** It only reacts when subject to **the magnetic head function** caused by the record mode. The KTC processing may damage your VCR. **The tape coated with KTC** doesn't begin for another 15 seconds. (Onscreen Countdown Shown) Stop recording now.

*_*_*
What the...??? I have googled all over the net and can find NO reference to THE KTC PROCESS. (Can anyone else find this on Google or a web search???)

Let's say you have 2 VCRS hooked up with RCA cords. Your KTC tape in VCR1 and a blank in VCR2.

Now how is VCR1 going to detect **the magnetic head function** caused by the "record mode" in VCR2???
(There would be no way the RCA cables would send a signal BACKWARDS to VCR 1)

**The tape coated with KTC**

I examined the tape closely and could detect no point signifying anything different. (Thickness, texture or color)

I say this is a load of hogwash and that "THE KTC PROCESS" is non-existant and a nothing but a *textual* attempt to SCARE THE CONSUMER into not copying.

Anyone else ever heard or seen anything like this on another VHS tape???

Dr. M

Ian Miller
08-12-2010, 03:53 AM
That's hilarious, I remember people talking about something similar and thinking it sounded odd, but then a vcr that I was dubbing pretty heavy with (no mainstream stuff, certainly nothing with technology as frighteningly advanced as THE KTC PROCESS) started locking up, and I started to worry. Then it would show service numbers on the front that mystified the repair shop! I thought I was done for!

BobG
08-12-2010, 04:28 AM
Sounds like a lot of supernatural baloney to me...

Mike DiRoma
08-12-2010, 06:24 AM
"Supernatural, perhaps. Baloney, perhaps not."

Terry Carpenter
08-12-2010, 07:27 AM
Maybe it releases a genie.

Magnus Wersen
08-12-2010, 08:19 AM
Death to Videodrome, long live the KTC Process!

Andrew Ellis
08-12-2010, 01:48 PM
That's weird. It sounds like a lot of bs. I record my OOP videos onto DVD-R all the time (just as a back-up). I've never found a PAL tape and I've rarely found a an NTSC tape that is guarded at all. It's expensive to do that and it's stupid because with a little technology anyone can get around it.

My aunt was having trouble recently recording off cable with her VCR. (She's hardly a bootlegger), so I had to get her a device from Israel that takes all that crap off. So these idiots victimize their own paying customers like my elderly aunt, while the actual bootleggers are laughing at them.

This really sounds like a bluff though. I'd risk sacrificing a $35 VCR just to call them on it. . .

Adam L
08-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Kill the copier.

RichardDoyle
08-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Not only do I think that's bullshit, I think it's hilarious bullshit. Obviously whoever came up with the idea never thought it through. All the "KTC Process" could prevent me from doing is ERASING their tape.

Andy Copp
08-12-2010, 06:28 PM
You need to copy that segment and upload it to you tube. That is some great historical VHS bullshit that needs to be shared and remembered!

paul h.
08-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Amazing stuff Dr.M.

Kentucky Tied Chicken?

nah.

Oh, and there's spider eggs in my chewing gum!

Mark R. Hill
08-18-2010, 01:39 AM
Here you go. There's not quite enuf to youtube. (Can't do that anyway- yet.) But here's a digital pic of it in all its glory. A little fuzzy- the SLP image was hard to freeze.

Mark R. Hill
08-18-2010, 01:42 AM
Here you go. There's not quite enuf to youtube. (Can't do that anyway- yet.) But here's a digital pic of it in all its glory. A little fuzzy- the SLP image was hard to freeze.

Jason Lee
08-18-2010, 05:07 AM
Oh how gullible we used to be....:D