PDA

View Full Version : My secret shame

Marshall Crist
08-10-2010, 08:14 PM
A Blu-ray copy of WHAT'S UP, DOC? is on its way to my house. I have the DVD, but the damn snapper case is broken, and Blu is so pretty. I checked to make sure that it at least ports over the special features from the DVD, and that the A/V was a genuine upgrade, even though there was nothing half-assed about the DVD. The film is pretty highly regarded, so I guess a lot of the shame centers more around the fact that find I Streisand quite attractive in this (and THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT.) So there you go. Have at it. Ha, I accidentally typed "Have a tit." Must have been thinking of the deleted nude scene from O&P. Thank you, Internet.

Robert Richardson
08-11-2010, 12:17 AM
It's a very funny film, one of the decade's most enjoyable comedies so you should banish any notion of shame. TARGETS, THE LAST PICTURE SHOW, WHAT'S UP DOC?, PAPER MOON....man, Bogdanovich had a pretty wicked run there.

Ian Miller
08-11-2010, 01:14 AM
.....so I guess a lot of the shame centers more around the fact that find Streisand quite attractive in this (and THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT.) So there you go. Have at it. Ha, I accidentally typed "Have a tit." Must have been thinking of the deleted nude scene from O&P. Thank you, Internet.

You are so a man after my own heart. Sometimes I think it's because of late-night pre-pubescent readings of the MAD parody (called? I don't remember), but O&P Babs is straight-up sexy to me. I'm not ashamed, and neither should you be!

Perm-era, not as much, but that's a reflection of the overall changes in fashion for the decade.

60's cat-eye, hair-up Babs as well, but early 70's wins.

Mike T
08-11-2010, 04:49 AM
Not so secret now, is it? Hahaha! But seriously, this is what makes the AV Maniacs boards unique -- the spectacular diversity of entertainment that people here enjoy and the simple fact that they're proud to say so.

I see no harm in admitting a fondness for any of Babs' films -- afterall, only recently I myself picked up a couple of older Rogers & Hammerstein musicals (The King and I and South Pacific) because, yes, I have a soft spot for Hollywood musicals and the sheer grande splendour of them in their heyday.

Funny you should mention Ms Streisand though -- I've been tossing around the idea of revisiting The Owl and the Pussycat and The Way We Were for some time now (and they can be had pretty cheaply thru Amazon UK for me). Marshall, I think you have inspired my next purchase when my next paycheck comes in! :)

Eric B
08-11-2010, 05:29 AM
Before reading a review yesterday I would have never given WHAT'S UP, PUSSYCAT a second thought. Since then (before reading this thread) I started to give it a second thought.

My opinion about movies is that if you like it, it's good.

If I do see it soon I'll give you my two bits. I expect that I will like it.

Ian Miller
08-11-2010, 05:56 AM
Do you mean WHAT'S UP, DOC?, or WHAT'S NEW, PUSSYCAT? Or WHAT'S UP, TIGER LILY?

John G.
08-11-2010, 06:31 AM
I've always been curious to see this (been scared off by Streisand, though)... speaking of Bogdanovich, I'd love a TARGETS blu-ray.

Troy Howarth
08-11-2010, 08:19 AM
I'm with John - I like a lot of Bogdanovich's films, but the notion of seeing a movie with Babs is too scary to contemplate.

Richard C
08-11-2010, 08:34 AM
I remember watching the film and would catch myself thinking "she's actually pretty hot" before whipping myself in penance..... It a decent film and has a lot of funny slapstick scenes.

Watching Patch Adams more than once is much more shameful.....

Todd J
08-11-2010, 08:55 AM
how is it shameful? I love the movie Pillow Talk.

Marshall Crist
08-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Funny you should mention Ms Streisand though -- I've been tossing around the idea of revisiting The Owl and the Pussycat and The Way We Were for some time now (and they can be had pretty cheaply thru Amazon UK for me). Marshall, I think you have inspired my next purchase when my next paycheck comes in! :)

Just a quick heads-up that the O&P DVD is the PG version.

Ian Miller
08-11-2010, 05:21 PM
How's UP THE SANDBOX?

Christopher B.
08-11-2010, 05:22 PM
For shame that it could be a secret shame...I love the looney tunes WHAT'S UP DOC. Sometimes we need harmless comedy in our lives. I adore Madeleine Kahn in this and there is no better moment than when she is dragged out of the ballroom with her sensible shoes scuffing the floor. Barbra is genuinely cute, sexy with her long hair, and hysterical in this movie...her mini musical scene on top of the piano is one of her best and least controlled---a good thing. And if I was straight, I'm sure this is where I'd say something about her gorgeous boobs.:D

Todd J
08-11-2010, 05:51 PM
you can't appreciate a woman's body jsut because your gay? Pushaw!

Ian Miller
08-11-2010, 05:55 PM

He did say "gorgeous".

I'm about to purchase UP THE SANDBOX. Thanks a lot, Marshall!;)

Marshall Crist
08-11-2010, 07:19 PM
My favorite Babs is WHAT'S UP, DOC?

Second is THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT.

Distant third is FOR PETE'S SAKE.

I blind-bought UP THE SANDBOX and did not really like it. Sorry I couldn't get back to you until now.

Christopher B.
08-11-2010, 07:29 PM

NICE RACK!!:)

Ian Miller
08-11-2010, 08:37 PM
My favorite Babs is WHAT'S UP, DOC?

Second is THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT.

Distant third is FOR PETE'S SAKE.

I blind-bought UP THE SANDBOX and did not really like it. Sorry I couldn't get back to you until now.

No biggie, I'll admit I was lured by loooow price and reference to fantasy sequences involving Black militants and Fidel Castro.

What's the story about an R-rated OWL? I saw a PAL tape on Amazon, but that was it.

Todd J
08-11-2010, 11:08 PM
NICE RACK!!:)

That's better! :)

Shane K
08-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Hhhhhmmmmmmm... I'm actually a bit embarrassed. Speaking of Babs, I managed to catch All Night Long the other night on Foxmovies. Gene Hackman and Diane Ladd are in it, and having never heard of it, this really caught me by surprise. I continued to watch it, and then low and behold Miss Streisand popped up. After that, I actually felt like a bit of a dork for continuing to watch it. Well I guess I didn't feel too dorky, because I just ordered a copy for my collection.

Marshall Crist
08-12-2010, 12:09 AM
What's the story about an R-rated OWL? I saw a PAL tape on Amazon, but that was it.

I am not an expert, but here is what I believe the situation is.

OWL was released around 1970. It was rated R for language and adult themes. Two brief topless shots were lensed but were to be included only with Babs' final say-so and she ultimately balked. One was omitted and one was obscured with an optical effect. Again, as far as I know they were never included in any released print and the deleted shots were supposedly destroyed.

Around 1973 the film was re-released with a PG rating. One of Babs' lines which included an F-bomb was deleted. Some sources on IMDb act like there were many other language deletions, but I am skeptical.

At some point, some stroke mag (HIGH SOCIETY?) got hold of an on-set photo of Babs topless and printed it. Babs sued and had most of the copies of that issue destroyed, but I believe a few got out. At least one topless photo (presumably scanned from the mag) can be found online. It is worth looking for/at.

In 1997, the film was released on VHS in the US as part of the "Barbra Streisand Collection." It came in a pink box. I think it was from Columbia, but at the very least it was a major label. Now the film is 2.35:1 but naturally the tape is 1.33:1. I believe the box says "not rated" and the tape says "PG" but the film is actually the R version. No nudity, but all the language. Later it was re-released by Video Treasures or somesuch, probably at EP speed, and I believe that really was the PG version.

The DVD is a lovely anamorphic widescreen presentation of the PG version.

Ian Miller
08-12-2010, 01:03 AM
Is this the tape?

http://www.amazon.com/Owl-Pussycat-VHS-Barbra-Streisand/dp/B0000048WZ

Marshall Crist
08-12-2010, 01:45 AM
I don't think so. Search under "owl pussycat barbra streisand collection." You still might want to contact the seller before ordering.

The one I got had a big handwritten "B" at the top of the box art. I checked to make sure it had the "fuck off" line and it did. I have yet to compare it to the DVD for other differences. Too busy doing that with HORROR HIGH! I think the deleted line may have been on Youtube. May still be, just couldn't find it.

Marshall Crist
08-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Had a look at the WHAT'S UP, DOC? Blu-ray. Very pretty. I can't believe the Maltin guide gives this movie three stars. That is just utter bullshit. This is EASILY a three-and-a-half star movie, if not four. I'm not sure why I care about the Maltin book anymore, but that is just mental.

Watched quite a bit of the OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT VHS. The only bit I noticed that wasn't on the DVD was where she tells the punks in the car to fuck off. The trade-off is the tape is fullscreen and has lousy sound. Maybe someone could diagnose the exact issue, because I've heard it a lot. The old SISTERS OF SATAN (ALUCARDA) tape from Academy had this problem, as did many movie broadcasts on network TV in the 70s and 80s. Basically, it sounds like the movie was recorded in a trash can, with a slight mechanical echo effect that sounds a little like a stereo movie with the tracks slightly out-of-phase. Used to assume it was an artifact of fake stereo on mono films, or badly-mastered stereo-to-tape transfers, but I really have no idea.

Marshall Crist
08-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Forgot to mention that Marilyn Chambers is in O&P.

Ian Miller
08-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, I'll get a cheap O&P disc down the road, DOC will probably come first.