PDA

View Full Version : Pre-recorded VHS tapes that you bought on or around the street date and still own

Marshall Crist
08-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Pretty short list for me.

THE DORM THAT DRIPPED BLOOD--hope to retire this in '10.

WARLOCK MOON--this may have already been out and I just bought it as soon as I found out about the movie.

Couldn't think of anything else, but a quick scan of my shelves reveals:

That mail-order edition of LEMORA.

Johnny Legend's release of SWITCHBLADE SISTERS.

JOHNNY SOKKO Vol. 1-4

GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA '64

Several Something Weird titles, particularly Jean Rollin ones.

Daniel S.S.
08-10-2010, 07:35 PM
I haven't kept much VHS at all. Missile to the Moon and Santo vs. the Vampire Women might be about it.

Ian Miller
08-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Elite/Video Treasures MANIAC, and some AB's (I kept SUCCUBUS, I think I ditched the other two "Female Spies" ones, TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD), Image/Redemption DEVIL'S NIGHTMARE, some stuff that came out around then, but most of my collection that I still have was bought used.

Shawn Francis
08-10-2010, 08:46 PM
THE BOOGENS
NECRONOMICON
I COME IN PEACE
CURSE OF THE BLACK WIDOW
THE MAXX ('95, MTV Animated Series)
MOTHRA
TARANTULA
THE DEADLY MANTIS
WITCH HUNT (HBO Movie with Dennis Hopper as private dick, Lovecraft)
TOTAL RECALL
INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS ('78)
GODZILLA VS. BIOLLANTE

And that's ALL I own.

Daniel M
08-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Elite/Video Treasures and AB versions of things like I COME IN PEACE, TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD, A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, THE HIDDEN, TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2, and many others that I still have.

I also went crazy for tin box sets in the mid 90s - I still have TWO LANE BLACKTOP, THE BLACK HOLE, and some of those big Warner Bros. Box sets for things like THE EXORCIST and ENTER THE DRAGON.

Todd J
08-10-2010, 10:04 PM
I never had a whole lot of them. but I still have

Scream Greats Vol. 1 Tom Savini
The Howling
Creepshow
Fright Night

Marshall Crist
08-11-2010, 12:00 AM
THE BOOGENS

Was THE BOOGENS really released on VHS?

Matthew BB
08-11-2010, 12:37 AM
Was THE BOOGENS really released on VHS?

Yes.

http://www.amazon.com/Boogens-VHS-Rebecca-Balding/dp/0782008062/ref=sr_1_1?s=video&ie=UTF8&qid=1281500482&sr=1-1

It went for about 7 bucks at Suncoast in the mid or late 90's.

I also went crazy for tin box sets in the mid 90s - I still have TWO LANE BLACKTOP, THE BLACK HOLE, and some of those big Warner Bros. Box sets for things like THE EXORCIST and ENTER THE DRAGON.

What I'm wondering is if AB put out vhs releases with those tins. I have and love the TWO LANE BLACKTOP dvd tin. I also have that EXORCIST box presentation with the vhs, the one that came with a film strip, thick booklet, and lobby card reproductions. I got it damn cheap once dvd started to really take off. I think it goes for some decent money now.

I still own a handful of AB vhs.

One title that comes to mind that I bought when first released and still own is TETSUO.

RichardDoyle
08-11-2010, 10:52 AM
I kept none because I originally wanted to unload them all while they still retained some value. Now I find myself buying a lot back since so many are still not on DVD. There's probably some irony there, or some stupidity.

Shawn Francis
08-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Yes.

http://www.amazon.com/Boogens-VHS-Rebecca-Balding/dp/0782008062/ref=sr_1_1?s=video&ie=UTF8&qid=1281500482&sr=1-1

Yup, that's right. I remember it was some months after my horrendous car accident, which would put the purchase of the tape winter of 1997. Even if it ever comes out on "official" DVD, I think, I'm still gonna keep the VHS. A relic to the bygone days, and all.

You can get a widescreen bootleg of it, which looks a lot better than the VHS, at least, when it comes to the cavern scenes.

Paramount owns the rights to it, so, translation, we will NEVER see it on DVD.

Daniel M
08-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Matthew - Yes to the VHS tins. I still have TWO LANE BLACKTOP and THE BLACK HOLE tins, and they're VHS.

Glad I held onto 'em, especially TBH - it's an elaborate package, with a complete set of full-size lobby cards. Unlike TLB, I doubt this title will ever get such a treatment again.

John K
08-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Yes.

Boy do I remember that! Now that I think back on it, Suncoast had some quality VHS box-art cheese - THE BOOGENS, GATES OF HELL 2, HELL OF THE LIVING DEAD, all those EI cinema CARESS OF THE VAMPIRE-style things...

I'm sure I have a lot of decent answers to this thread, but I wasn't really into collecting enough at that point to know about release dates or anything. A few answers I know are correct: DEEP RED, INFERNO, OPERA, CAT O NINE TAILS (all the AB reissues), and possibly PERFECT BLUE.

CarterStevens
08-11-2010, 07:48 PM
The Wild Bunch

Ian Miller
08-11-2010, 08:59 PM
The Suncoast 10 and under rack was a blast back in the day, you'd stand there and try to gauge quality based on tape weight! That's where I got the Paramount/Gateway DANGER: DIABOLIK tape that Zane C. is now the owner of, as well as things like EP copies of PETEY WHEATSTRAW and the unrated (fullscreen) New Line STREET FIGHTER. Then the AB release schedule kicked in and everything in that realm was usually 15.00, Image stuff was 20.00 (if you were lucky). The last tapes I bought there (in '01, I think) were 10.00 copies of KEOMA and VCI's BLOOD AND BLACK LACE and WHIP AND THE BODY, and all three were on crappy tape stock and in chintzy plastic casing. The end of an era!

People may carp, but things are a lot better than in those dying days, when you can get studio cast-offs new for 3.00 at BiG LoTS.

Ian Miller
08-11-2010, 09:02 PM
And I don't mean better for the companies, not trying to be callous regarding those doing the Lord's work and all, just that taking a small chance as a consumer and getting burned on something in the end of a format's lifespan stings a little less than it did last time!

Eric B
08-11-2010, 09:44 PM
I have GARGOYLES, PROSPERO'S BOOKS, and a few others I can't name off the top of my head. I'm still waiting for PROSPERO'S BOOKS to hit DVD, not to mention Blu-ray.

Matthew BB
08-11-2010, 10:03 PM
I didn't necessarily love the store, but I'm liking all of the Suncoast memories in this thread!

One title that comes to mind that I bought when first released and still own is TETSUO.

I forgot to mention why I've kept this one: the box is all silvery and shiny. Pretty stupid, yes. The movie is good enough to finally upgrade and isn't expensive.

Lorne Marshall
08-12-2010, 01:52 AM
The last tapes I bought there (in '01, I think) were 10.00 copies of KEOMA and VCI's BLOOD AND BLACK LACE and WHIP AND THE BODY, and all three were on crappy tape stock and in chintzy plastic casing.

That's interesting, because I bought BLACK SABBATH on the VCI label in the last days of VHS, and it too suffered from numerous tape glitches you usually don't find on brand new cassettes.

Ian Miller
08-12-2010, 03:46 AM
That's interesting, because I bought BLACK SABBATH on the VCI label in the last days of VHS, and it too suffered from numerous tape glitches you usually don't find on brand new cassettes.

Yeah, I had that one too. Didn't it almost seem like they were re-using returned tapes? Come to think of it, early VCI tapes had that aura as well.....

I didn't necessarily love the store, but I'm liking all of the Suncoast memories in this thread!

Me neither, but it's funny that I discovered the store right around the time I started seriously hunting for used tapes, and as it became part of my ritual to go there. All of the sudden, previously laserdisc-only stuff started coming out and they were carrying it! As soon as I saw that MANIAC had been picked up for VHS by Video Treasures, I knew things were gonna get exciting. The nearest Tower was kind of a haul (but they had cooler stuff, like Ron Ormond and SWV tapes), and the only way I had of knowing what was coming out was Psychotronic's TO AVOID FAINTING..... and maybe Videscope, though really it was constant trips to Suncoast. By the time I was more internet savvy, the format change-over was beginning to hit its initial stride.

Lorne Marshall
08-12-2010, 04:58 AM
Yeah, I had that one too. Didn't it almost seem like they were re-using returned tapes?

You may be right, Ian. What was especially frustrating is that when I began copying most of my VHS to DVD-R, I wanted to archive BLACK SABBATH because - and I know this will be blasphemy to some - I sometimes enjoy watching what is one of my favorite horror films in the English-language version I grew up with. Heck, my Sinister Cinema copy of this flick is in better condition!