PDA

View Full Version : Underrated/obscure 1980s thrillers

Rafael R
08-10-2010, 03:42 PM
First post, but have been reading this forum for awhile.

Some of my favorite threads were the ones about gritty 1970s crime movies. Stuff that has fallen under the radar like CISCO PIKE, NIGHT MOVES, HICKEY AND BOGGS, ROLLING THUNDER, THE SILENT PARTNER, STRAIGHT TIME, etc.

What I couldn't find was a thread devoted to underrated and obscure 1980s crime films and thrillers. Stuff like TO LIVE AND DIE IN LA, YEAR OF THE DRAGON, THIEF, MANHUNTER, and even CUTTER'S WAY has seen a resurgence in popularity on film sites and blogs like these.

Care to shed any light on some others?

I'll start with one:

MIKE'S MURDER (1984) - Similar in feel to both CUTTER'S and TO LIVE AND DIE IN LA. It shows you the side of California/LA that you never seen anymore. Debra Winger is the star. Her tennis coach/lover gets murdered and she pieces together some details of his life in her own investigation. Almost nobody has seen this gritty, little thriller, which is a shame.

Shane K
08-10-2010, 04:00 PM
8 Million Ways to Die

CarterStevens
08-10-2010, 04:06 PM
8 Million Ways to Die

Thank you, a great underrated film!

Rafael R
08-10-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm a fan of 8 MILLION WAYS TO DIE as well. Wish it was on a widescreen DVD. If they ever do release it, should be like watching a whole new movie. Also, I'm hoping Ashby left around some cut material, ala LOOKIN TO GET OUT.

Steve R
08-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Rafael, Welcome.

Runaway Train -based on a script by Kurosawa. Jon Voight is the toughest con you'll ever see, breaking out of an Alaskan prison and hopping aboard a runaway train that can't be stopped. Tough, tough and coldy existential and a solid thriller. Eric Roberts is great in this, too.

Long Good Friday - Best British gangster film, maybe ever.
The Mean Season
Pope of Greenwich Village

Leif Jonker
08-10-2010, 04:57 PM
I really liked WHITE OF THE EYE.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094320/

RichardDoyle
08-10-2010, 05:29 PM
The Hit
Dance With a Stranger
The Fourth Man
The Vanishing (not the remake)
The Stunt Man

Jonathan H.
08-10-2010, 05:39 PM
First post, but have been reading this forum for awhile.

Some of my favorite threads were the ones about gritty 1970s crime movies. Stuff that has fallen under the radar like CISCO PIKE, NIGHT MOVES, HICKEY AND BOGGS, ROLLING THUNDER, THE SILENT PARTNER, STRAIGHT TIME, etc.

What I couldn't find was a thread devoted to underrated and obscure 1980s crime films and thrillers. Stuff like TO LIVE AND DIE IN LA, YEAR OF THE DRAGON, THIEF, MANHUNTER, and even CUTTER'S WAY has seen a resurgence in popularity on film sites and blogs like these.

Care to shed any light on some others?

I'll start with one:

MIKE'S MURDER (1984) - Similar in feel to both CUTTER'S and TO LIVE AND DIE IN LA. It shows you the side of California/LA that you never seen anymore. Debra Winger is the star. Her tennis coach/lover gets murdered and she pieces together some details of his life in her own investigation. Almost nobody has seen this gritty, little thriller, which is a shame.

Good stuff, Rafael. You've already mentioned many of my favorites. MIKE'S MURDER is a great example of an under-appreciated thriller from the era, an "'80s movies" that feels a bit like a leftover from the more adventurous '70s. Would have been even more interesting in James Bridges' original non-linear director's cut. The only existing print of that cut is in UCLA's archive or it's in the hands of Bridges' longtime companion, Jack Larson.

Others from the '80s:

CRUISING
Frears' THE HIT
Hill's JOHNNY HANDSOME
AGAINST ALL ODDS (I watched this one again recently and was very impressed)
Yates' EYEWITNESS
Harris' FAST-WALKING and COP
NIGHTHAWKS
BAD BOYS (the Sean Penn film)
Flynn's DEFIANCE and BEST SELLER
VICE SQUAD
THE HITCHER
DEATH VALLEY
A STRANGER IS WATCHING
FIGHTING BACK

Ryan O
08-10-2010, 05:46 PM
I've only seen a small percentage of these, but like the ones I've seen.

The Star Chamber is flawed but has its moments.

Matthew BB
08-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Larry Cohen's SPECIAL EFFECTS and PERFECT STRANGERS are both underrated.

TOUGH GUYS DON'T DANCE isn't the greatest movie, but it has Wings Hauser as the slimiest cop imaginable. And Lawrence Tierney.

Rafael R
08-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Some excellent ones were mentioned, with JOHNNY HANDSOME and THE HIT being big favorites of mine.

Another underrated one, that often gets some credit around these parts, is THE OSTERMAN WEEKEND. Definitely a weaker Peckinpah, but I just love John Hurt and Craig T. Nelson in it.

Vincent Pereira
08-11-2010, 02:07 AM
I really liked WHITE OF THE EYE.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094320/

Ditto. Aside from being a great "American Giallo", so to speak, this even features an original soundtrack co-composed Pink Floyd's Nick Mason (the only member of the Floyd who has played on EVERY Pink Floyd album, BTW).

Vincent

Robin Bougie
08-11-2010, 02:22 AM
Anyone who hasn't seen VICE SQUAD (1982) needs to, pronto.

I'd also like to nominate STREET SMART (1987), STAR80 (1983) and HOUSE OF GAMES (1987)... although with the latter (as well as THE VANISHING and THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY) it is rather hard to argue that something is underrated if there is a criterion dvd release out. ^_^

Robin Bougie
08-11-2010, 02:30 AM
Oh man, I hit "post reply" too quick. I just thought of a few other underrated ones that I love and that I can't not mention:

NIGHT OF THE JUGGLER (1980)
CERTAIN FURY (1985)
SCREAM FOR HELP (1984)

RAY S
08-11-2010, 03:26 AM
None of the following are on dvd, (well, at least not on Region 1).

CROSS COUNTRY 1983

P.I. PRIVATE INVESTIGATIONS 1987

FLORIDA STRAITS 1986

THE CHALLENGE 1982

THE PARK IS MINE 1986

THE SOLDIER 1982

COHEN & TATE 1988

ORIONS BELT 1985

All sadly missing from my shelf!

Eric B
08-11-2010, 03:30 AM
Where, oh where is the satellite channel that will show all these movies.

Terry Carpenter
08-11-2010, 03:34 AM
I, the Jury (1982)

Fred Anderson
08-11-2010, 03:37 AM
Absolution (it was shot in 1978, but released in the eighties)
Apartment Zero
Black Rainbow
Fear City
Impulse
The Osterman Weekend
Road Games
In the name of the Rose'
Lady in White
The Believers

Terry Carpenter
08-11-2010, 04:00 AM
Streets of Fire (1984) With a Sci-fi/Dystopian fringe

Clive Smith
08-11-2010, 10:47 AM
SCREAM FOR HELP (1984)

Haha - I was just thinking of this one. It's a GREAT bit of cheese from Michael Winner. Good use of the 'C' word too.

NIGHT OF THE JUGGLER also heartily recommended and MIA on DVD.

Ray Kanne
08-11-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm a fan of 8 MILLION WAYS TO DIE as well. Wish it was on a widescreen DVD. If they ever do release it, should be like watching a whole new movie .

I have an AVI file of this film in 16/9 which is excellent quality. Looks like it was taken from a DVD. I'd prefer a DVD of course but I can't find one anywhere. It could also be a transfer made for a TV broadcast. The film opens with both English and Spanish title cards. Either way, DVD or a transfer done for Spanish TV, the film is clearly remastered and presented in it's original AOR. Definitely felt like watching a whole new movie.

Ray Kanne
08-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Some anamorphic enhanced screenshots from the AVI file:

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/3914/shot0004yl.png (http://img130.imageshack.us/i/shot0004yl.png/)

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8592/shot0006np.png (http://img13.imageshack.us/i/shot0006np.png/)

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/3946/shot0005d.png (http://img440.imageshack.us/i/shot0005d.png/)

Evan C. Price
08-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Bad Timing
Split Image
The Cry of the Owl
True Believer

Shane K
08-11-2010, 12:49 PM

Sure thing Carter! It's one of those films that never seems to get its due. I wish Sony would license it to someone who would treat it with the proper care and respect.

Guillaume P
08-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Runaway Train -Tough, tough and coldy existential and a solid thriller. Eric Roberts is great in this, too.

I agree,and the ending of this film is totally awesome!!

Guillaume P
08-11-2010, 12:54 PM

I liked it too,especially the scenes between Andy Garcia and Jeff Bridges...great fun!:):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc0v9zEjHoE

Leif Jonker
08-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Anyone who hasn't seen VICE SQUAD (1982) needs to, pronto.

I'd also like to nominate STREET SMART (1987), STAR80 (1983) and HOUSE OF GAMES (1987)... although with the latter (as well as THE VANISHING and THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY) it is rather hard to argue that something is underrated if there is a criterion dvd release out. ^_^

Agreed on VICE SQUAD.

As a geek who's daily vocabulary usually includes at least one movie quote, I think most likely the oddest lines I've dropped now and then over the years are the last few from HOUSE OF GAMES -- though I'm probably paraphrasing badly when I do.

"Excuse me, can you tell me what that is on the buffet?" "It's a waldorf salad."

Why the hell these stuck in my head for years I have no idea.

Jonathan Douglas
08-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Some random titles:

Still of the Night
52 Pick-Up
The Star Chamber
The Holcroft Covenant
The Hit
Against All Odds
Gorky Park
A Dry White Season
The Rosary Murders
The Package
Target
The Naked Face
Murder Elite
Dead of Winter
The Whistle Blower
Eyewitness

<object width="420" height="345"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N1vKCJlaM0A?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N1vKCJlaM0A?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="345" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="420" height="345"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f93MqOpYf_0?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f93MqOpYf_0?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="345" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Ian Jane
08-11-2010, 02:12 PM
NIGHT OF THE JUGGLER also heartily recommended and MIA on DVD.

I would upgrade my shit quality DVD-R of this one in a heart beat - some great tension and awesome NYC footage too. And a solid cast. This should be a better known film.

Clive Smith
08-12-2010, 08:22 AM
Yeah, a rattling, gritty kidnap yarn and Brolin's best performance IMO.

Robin Bougie
08-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Some random titles:
52 Pick-Up

Awesome pick, Johnathan! Can't believe I forgot to mention this one. It is one of my all time faves, and might be my most beloved CANNON film -- and that is saying a lot.

Rafael R
08-12-2010, 11:44 AM
I have an AVI file of this film in 16/9 which is excellent quality. Looks like it was taken from a DVD. I'd prefer a DVD of course but I can't find one anywhere. It could also be a transfer made for a TV broadcast. The film opens with both English and Spanish title cards. Either way, DVD or a transfer done for Spanish TV, the film is clearly remastered and presented in it's original AOR. Definitely felt like watching a whole new movie.

I'll have to track this one down. The copy I have is missing the last two minutes of the film and the credits. Good to know this exists at least.

Also, great picks from everyone. It's a little goofy, but I'll add Michael Mann's BAND OF THE HAND.

Jonathan H.
08-12-2010, 12:17 PM
I'll have to track this one down. The copy I have is missing the last two minutes of the film and the credits. Good to know this exists at least.

Also, great picks from everyone. It's a little goofy, but I'll add Michael Mann's BAND OF THE HAND.

BAND OF THE HAND is actually Paul Michael Glaser's (Det. David Starsky), if we're talking about who's responsible for the direction. Mann exec-produced.

BAND OF THE HAND was pure gold when I saw it as a very young lad on HBO in the wee hours in the mid-'80s. Revisited it as a teen several years later and it wasn't nearly as rad as I'd remembered.

It's interesting to see some of the crossover it shares with Mann's MANHUNTER, in terms of locations, music, and some actors.

Both films feature lots of Florida locales.

Stephen Lang appears in a much different role here than his doomed Freddie Lounds of MANHUNTER. Bill Smitrovich, part of Mann's regular stable of actors, appears in both films, too.

The score is credited to Michael Rubini who also composed some original score pieces for MANHUNTER. Mann (and Jonathan H.) favorites Shriekback and the Reds make appearances on both soundtracks.

The film also features an early role for future director John Cameron Mitchell (HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH, SHORT BUS).

Keith B.
08-12-2010, 12:33 PM
BAND OF THE HAND also features a great title track from Bob Dylan.

Guillaume P
08-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Mann (and Jonathan H.) favorites Shriekback make appearances on both soundtracks.

"Faded flowers" in BAND OF THE HAND is damn good,almost as great as the incredible "This big hush" in MANHUNTER;):cool::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBCcHrQSo_M

BAND OF THE HAND also features a great title track from Bob Dylan.

i agree...nice opening scene!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXX-JJbYjHQ&feature=related

Richard R.
08-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Andy Anderson's 1986 Positive I.D.. Very low-budget, obscure, smart and interesting regional noir from Texas. A personal favorite.

Andrew Ellis
08-16-2010, 06:16 PM
I agree with pretty much all the ones mentioned (although a few of them are technically 70's thrillers). I definitely would second (or third) "White of the Eye" and "To live and Die in LA".

There was also a direct-to-video movie called "Red Nights", which I'm not sure anyone besides has ever seen, that was kind of interesting (William smith had a small part in it). Abel Ferrara's "Fear City" is good and a lot more obscure than his other stuff like "Ms. 45" and "King of New York".

I also liked the three similar (and similarly sleazy) early 80's flicks "American Nightmare", "Too Scared to scream", and "Windows" (none of which are on DVD yet to my knowledge). It might be more of a horror movie, but I've always had a soft spot for "Eyes of a Stranger",which was Jennifer Jason Leigh's first theatrical movie.

Jonathan Douglas
08-16-2010, 10:31 PM
Have a soft spot for EYES OF A STRANGER too, DiSanti achieves so much by doing only a little and becomes one of the creepiest killers of all early 80s slashers, and of those films it's probably the one I watch more than any other. But this Rear Window voyeur or similar type plot always had a good grip on audiences, it works like a charm everytime.

Matthew BB
08-17-2010, 12:12 AM
Abel Ferrara's "Fear City" is good and a lot more obscure than his other stuff like "Ms. 45" and "King of New York".

CAT CHASER is another underrated 80's thriller/Ferrara film. It was certainly not one of his more personal projects (his friend and much trusted screenwriter Nicolas St. John wasn't involved) and I believe his version was discarded and the film was heavily re-edited by the producers, but it's worth a look. At times, you can recognize that it is a Ferrara film (seediness, strong sexual violence... you know the deal).

I'm probably scraping the bottom of the barrel, but does anyone remember CALL ME (1988)? It has an early sleazebag role for Steve Buscemi. When I was a kid, I often got this confused with SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME (1987) just because the title of the latter seemed like it would deal with voyeurism like CALL ME does.

I still get surprised when I see that SOMEONE is a Ridley Scott film, so maybe that qualifies it for this discussion. I'm not his biggest fan, but unlike most of his work I never hear anything about this one.

I will admit that I don't find the late-80's period for American thrillers to be all that interesting.

Jonathan Douglas
08-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Yes, CAT CHASER's a pretty good sort of modern noir-ish and erotic thriller, has one very violent scene too involving Charles Durning.

Fred Anderson
08-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Hey! Has anyone mentioned William Lustigs Relentless? Good one.

Steve R
08-17-2010, 02:46 PM
Miami Blues (right on the tail end of 1989)

George Armitrage with Fred Ward, Alec Baldwin,
Jennifer Jasone Leigh.
Based on a Charles Wileford book - this one and Cockfighter (Warren Oates) may be the only ones.
Nice tough one.

Guillaume P
08-17-2010, 04:28 PM
I still get surprised when I see that SOMEONE is a Ridley Scott film, so maybe that qualifies it for this discussion. I'm not his biggest fan, but unlike most of his work I never hear anything about this one.

I'm not a fan of Scott's films but "Someone..." is one of my favourite film from him,with "Blade runner" and "Alien".

Jonathan H.
08-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Have a soft spot for EYES OF A STRANGER too, DiSanti achieves so much by doing only a little and becomes one of the creepiest killers of all early 80s slashers, and of those films it's probably the one I watch more than any other. But this Rear Window voyeur or similar type plot always had a good grip on audiences, it works like a charm everytime.

I would have EYES OF A STRANGER on my initial list, but couldn't decide if it was it belonged in the horror or thriller aisles. Love those very early '80s Florida locations and DiSanti is indeed creepy as all get out. JJL is one of my all-time favorite actresses and I was more than satisfied with her performance here. Lauren Tewes is the nice surprise. The high-rise setting and late '70s / early '80s era remind me of Carpenter's telefilm SOMEONE'S WATCHING ME! from '78 (both films are available in the same horror box set from WHV).

RichardDoyle
08-17-2010, 05:45 PM
Miami Blues (right on the tail end of 1989)

George Armitrage with Fred Ward, Alec Baldwin,
Jennifer Jasone Leigh.
Based on a Charles Wileford book - this one and Cockfighter (Warren Oates) may be the only ones.
Nice tough one.

Oh, I love this film.

IMDB pulls up "The Woman Chaser" from 1999 as a 3rd movie based on a Wileford book. Never seen it, and probably never will since it looks likes its never been released on home video.

Jonathan Douglas
08-17-2010, 07:02 PM
I would have EYES OF A STRANGER on my initial list, but couldn't decide if it was it belonged in the horror or thriller aisles. Love those very early '80s Florida locations and DiSanti is indeed creepy as all get out. JJL is one of my all-time favorite actresses and I was more than satisfied with her performance here. Lauren Tewes is the nice surprise. The high-rise setting and late '70s / early '80s era remind me of Carpenter's telefilm SOMEONE'S WATCHING ME! from '78 (both films are available in the same horror box set from WHV).

That's true about the Carpenter one and they both star a Lauren but I think it beats it hands down in everything, it's too silly even for a TV movie.

Andrew Ellis
08-18-2010, 07:00 PM
There's little doubt "Someone Is Watching Me" is the better movie (I guess I just don't consider it "underrated" since it's a Carpenter film). The only things "eyes of a Stranger" really has going for it is a very creepy-looking John DeSantis and an incredibly cute Jennifer Jason Leigh trying gamely to act even though her character is completely ridiculous and no one else around her can. It's a red-headed stepchild of a movie, but I like it.

Another bad-but-still-somehow-pretty-entertaining 80's thriller is the original "Angel" with Donna Wilkes and Susan Tyrell (and Michael Biehn as the psycho). "Honor student by day, hooker by night!"

Jonathan Douglas
08-19-2010, 10:04 AM
ANGEL's good, like that one a lot. Watched Carpenter's again not that long ago, in terms of suspense I think it misfires with only two good scenes, the basement hiding and the telescope finale'. And none of those are really that well executed either, mostly I think we're talking about it because of who directed it when as a TV movie it'd probably soon been forgotten. He did a lot better with ELVIS. Hutton behaves like a real dummy for most of the running time but I love a Rear Window-ish theme so will even watch this one every now and then, a lot more often than I should (old tape and new disc taking turns) mainly because I like that sort of stalker plot in thrillers, but it's all personal opinions which is better. I just see none of the tense atmosphere EOAS provides in spades. Just watched his THE FOG last night btw, now that's some great stuff.

Luis Domenech
08-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Rafael - I picked up a copy of Mike's Murder because of your recommendation and saying it was similar to To Live and Die In L.A. , the best 80's crime thriller IMO and one of my favorite films. You've probably already seen 1984's Angel, a film that perfectly captures L.A.'s grimy street vibe of the early 80's. 8 Million Ways To Die, if I remember correctly, was distributed on video by FOX/CBS so a DVD release now seems unlikely.

Ray Kanne
08-19-2010, 12:13 PM

CROSS COUNTRY 1983

FLORIDA STRAITS 1986

THE CHALLENGE 1982

THE PARK IS MINE 1986

THE SOLDIER 1982

COHEN & TATE 1988

ORIONS BELT 1985

Orions Belte (Orion's Belt) was released in a great 2 disc special edition on Norwegian region 2 DVD which includes both versions (Norwegian and English language versions) with English subtitles for the superior Norwegian cut.

Troy Howarth
08-19-2010, 12:19 PM
My problem with Someone's Watching Me is Lauren Hutton; she's a lousy actress. I like the character's quirky sense of humor, but the story is a bit thin. With regards to this one versus The Fog... neither are among Carpenter's best, IMO.

Guillaume P
08-19-2010, 03:24 PM
I think that "Someone..."is a pretty good thriller (especially for tv) and an interesting forerunner for "Halloween",Lauren Hutton's performance is decent in my opinion.

And "The Fog" one of Carpenter's best films,even if the screenplay is a bit uneven the film really delivers on mood,striking visuals,etc

Rafael R
08-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Rafael - I picked up a copy of Mike's Murder because of your recommendation and saying it was similar to To Live and Die In L.A. , the best 80's crime thriller IMO and one of my favorite films. You've probably already seen 1984's Angel, a film that perfectly captures L.A.'s grimy street vibe of the early 80's. 8 Million Ways To Die, if I remember correctly, was distributed on video by FOX/CBS so a DVD release now seems unlikely.

Hope you enjoy MIKE'S MURDER. Definitely has that early 80s L.A. street vibe.

I've actually never seen ANGEL. Will have to rectify that soon though.

Up next in this genre for me is the 1987 Cannon Films entry STREET SMART. Never seen that one either.

Raleigh B
08-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Hey! Has anyone mentioned William Lustigs Relentless? Good one.

Got the VHS at a going-away sale around 2001, and I will side with you on this film.

Raleigh B
08-20-2010, 12:15 PM
BAD BOYS (the Sean Penn film)
Flynn's DEFIANCE and BEST SELLER
VICE SQUAD

Seen and liked, especially Vice Squad. Damn good topic!

Matt D
08-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Seriously kudos, this thread has given me loads of stuff to seek out.

Thanks guys.

Rafael R
09-02-2010, 11:51 PM
I just watched THE MORNING AFTER for the first time yesterday. Bridges was great in it, but the movie really dragged until the very final twist. I expected a lot more from this because it seemed like an overlooked Lumet film. Now I know why it's been overlooked.

Next up for me in this genre is BLACK WIDOW, which I've heard good things about.

Matthew BB
09-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Hope you enjoy MIKE'S MURDER. Definitely has that early 80s L.A. street vibe.

I thought I saw this on tv when I was a kid, but I don't remember that kind of vibe.

SPOILER:

What I not so distinctly remember is something about a mother's search for her son, who went hitchhiking or on a cross-country drive or something. He gets involved with a knife-wielding psycho and ends up getting stabbed multiple times by a waterfall. I think.

END SPOILER

I should probably just do a simple search :o, but was kinda wondering if I'm thinking of the same movie. For years, I was under the impression that it was made-for-tv.

Jonathan H.
09-03-2010, 11:26 AM
I thought I saw this on tv when I was a kid, but I don't remember that kind of vibe.

SPOILER:

What I not so distinctly remember is something about a mother's search for her son, who went hitchhiking or on a cross-country drive or something. He gets involved with a knife-wielding psycho and ends up getting stabbed multiple times by a waterfall. I think.

END SPOILER

I should probably just do a simple search :o, but was kinda wondering if I'm thinking of the same movie. For years, I was under the impression that it was made-for-tv.

Believe the movie you are talking about is a tv movie, based on a true story, starring Ellen Burstyn as the mother and Tate Donovan as the doomed son. Movie is called INTO THIN AIR.

MIKE'S MURDER has absolutely nothing to do with such a plot and stars Debra Winger as a young woman involved with the troubled, doomed Mike (Mark Keyloun).

Guillaume P
09-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Next up for me in this genre is BLACK WIDOW, which I've heard good things about.

A pretty good thriller yeah,especially for the duel between the two very good actresses: Debra Winger and the gorgeous Theresa Russell!:)

Matthew BB
09-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Believe the movie you are talking about is a tv movie, based on a true story, starring Ellen Burstyn as the mother and Tate Donovan as the doomed son. Movie is called INTO THIN AIR.

MIKE'S MURDER has absolutely nothing to do with such a plot and stars Debra Winger as a young woman involved with the troubled, doomed Mike (Mark Keyloun).

I looked up INTO THIN AIR and when I read a synopsis and saw that it featured Robert Prosky, I realized that you're absolutely correct, Jonathan. I was wondering if I was confused right from when I saw your enthusiasm for MIKE'S MURDER early in this thread; I don't recall INTO THIN AIR being anything special, despite a decent cast. I'm guessing that I associated the two because of block programming on basic cable in the early 90's. But MIKE'S MURDER does sound intriguing. And unfamiliar to me. Don't think I actually saw that.

Emanuele Sheriff
09-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Very good thread guys. I've not seen many of the films you've listed so I will def seek them out.

Daniel M
09-03-2010, 09:50 PM
SO many favorites have already been mentioned here. Great thread!

BULLIES (Paul Lynch)
SCARRED (Rosemarie Turko's only feature, IIRC)
CITY LIMITS (Aaron Lipstadt)
THE APRIL FOOL aka KILLER PARTY (William Fruet)
ANGEL II (Robert Vincent O'Neill)
PROM NIGHT II: HELLO MARY LOU (Ron Oliver)
AMERICAN GOTHIC (John Hough)
THE VINDICATOR (Jean-Claude Lord)
DANGEROUSLY CLOSE (Albert Pyun)
QUIET COOL (Clay Borris)

I was fortunate enough to see virtually all of these gems at the local multiplex during their theatrical release.

Man I miss those days...

Richard R.
09-04-2010, 02:29 PM

Thanks, I always wondered what the title of that movie was.

I saw part of it on TV when I was a junior-high-aged kid. I remember nothing at all about it except the brutal and (IIRC) sado-homoerotic stabing by the waterfall, which disturbed the hell outta me at the time.

Jon S.
09-04-2010, 09:18 PM
I just saw Band of the Hand for the first time, and I thought it was great. It felt like something Michael Mann would have made if he worked for Roger Corman.

Guillaume P
09-05-2010, 02:00 PM
I just saw Band of the Hand for the first time, and I thought it was great. It felt like something Michael Mann would have made if he worked for Roger Corman.

It's great fun!
I like the opening scene featuring Bob Dylan's song,also the very moody scene with the cool Shriekback song "Faded flowers":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBCcHrQSo_M

Jonathan H.
08-26-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm a fan of 8 MILLION WAYS TO DIE as well. Wish it was on a widescreen DVD. If they ever do release it, should be like watching a whole new movie. Also, I'm hoping Ashby left around some cut material, ala LOOKIN TO GET OUT.

Just ordered the Aussie disc here (http://moviesplus.com.au/ViewProduct.aspx?Id=b850e920-d829-4988-b071-2414b7afb913). And, there are a couple other versions released around the world. A Google search will turn 'em up.

http://images.3ps.com.au/x226/938a84a3ffe5880641060fb1024f10a8.jpg

Marty McKee
08-26-2011, 12:30 PM

CROSS COUNTRY 1983

FLORIDA STRAITS 1986

THE CHALLENGE 1982

THE PARK IS MINE 1986

THE SOLDIER 1982

COHEN & TATE 1988

ORIONS BELT 1985

COHEN & TATE (a good movie) is on DVD from, I believe, MGM. It has also run on MGM HD.

RichardDoyle
08-26-2011, 12:57 PM
COHEN & TATE (a good movie) is on DVD from, I believe, MGM. It has also run on MGM HD.

Yeah, it was just released in March as part of their burn-on-demand series.

Dave Jay
08-31-2011, 08:08 AM
A few more to add to the list - some good, some not so good, but all entertaining and most not yet on DVD:

ROLLING VENGEANCE (1987)
DOWN TWISTED (1987)
3:15 (1986)
KANSAS (1988)
UNDER COVER (1987)
THUNDER (1983)
WILD THING (1987)
CAMORRA (1986)
EXTERMINATOR 2 (1984)
ARMED RESPONSE (1986)
YOUNG WARRIORS (1983)
ENEMY TERRITORY (1987)

Jonathan H.
08-31-2011, 09:00 AM
A few more to add to the list - some good, some not so good, but all entertaining and most not yet on DVD:
3:15 (1986)

You can catch this one on Netflix Instant.

RichardDoyle
08-31-2011, 02:09 PM
KANSAS (1988)
ARMED RESPONSE (1986)

These two can be found on DVD. I don't think any of the others can.

Frank F
08-31-2011, 03:16 PM
Two thrillers from the eighties that are linked together for me, because they have the same star - James Woods, at his edgy/obsessive/sarcastic best:

COP (1988) - co-starring Charles Durning
BEST Seller (1987) - with Brian Dennehy.

Other James Woods thrillers from the eighties that I admired:
Fast Walking (1982) with Woods, Kay Lenz
Eyewitness (1981) with Woods, William Hurd, Christopher Plummer
Against All Odds(1984) With Jeff Bridges

Jonathan H.
08-31-2011, 04:15 PM
All great. And, I believe, most, if not all, have been mentioned previously in this thread. I'm especially fond of the non-bolded titles on your list. Not enough love for those 3.

Apparently FAST-WALKING was also released here under the title THE JOINT (http://www.emovieposter.com//images/moviestars/AA091013/550/joint_JL00176_L.jpg).

Two thrillers from the eighties that are linked together for me, because they have the same star - James Woods, at his edgy/obsessive/sarcastic best:

COP (1988) - co-starring Charles Durning
BEST Seller (1987) - with Brian Dennehy.

Other James Woods thrillers from the eighties that I admired:
Fast Walking (1982) with Woods, Kay Lenz
Eyewitness (1981) with Woods, William Hurd, Christopher Plummer
Against All Odds(1984) With Jeff Bridges

Dave Jay
09-01-2011, 06:16 AM
These two can be found on DVD. I don't think any of the others can.

ARMED RESPONSE had a great video cover when it was released on VHS in the UK. I used to have a quad poster of it, but unfortunately got rid of it years ago:

http://www.videocollector.co.uk/data/images/armed-response-383l.jpg

Jamie Edwards
09-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Nice to see DANGEROUSLY CLOSE getting some love. That's one of my favorite movies, I've probably seen it 20-30 times now. It would be awesome if a widescreen dvd was released. A few years ago I corresponded with Bradford Bancroft/Krooger a little bit and got to ask him about the making of the movie, etc. Im happy to say he's as cool as Krooger in real life too. Albert Pyun gets props with me for directing this, NEMESIS, and ALIEN FROM L.A. DOWN TWISTED is cool too. That's an impressive list of really entertaining movies.

A bunch of others I like too have already been mentioned. THE SOLDIER with Ken Wahl & COP with James Woods are both great. I always liked BLACK MOON RISING with Tommy Lee Jones too. I've seen that on tv recently after not seeing it for years.

Jonathan H.
09-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Beware. The Aussie disc is 4x3 letterbox. Others are 16x9.

Just ordered the Aussie disc here (http://moviesplus.com.au/ViewProduct.aspx?Id=b850e920-d829-4988-b071-2414b7afb913). And, there are a couple other versions released around the world. A Google search will turn 'em up.

http://images.3ps.com.au/x226/938a84a3ffe5880641060fb1024f10a8.jpg

Jonathan Douglas
09-04-2011, 11:26 AM
A few more:

Flashpoint
Hide in Plain Sight
The Hunter
Borderline
Family Business
The Pursuit of D.B. Cooper

<object width="420" height="345"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nfq-mRGRsM8?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nfq-mRGRsM8?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="345" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="420" height="345"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e1MRZiqq4CY?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e1MRZiqq4CY?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="345" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Jonathan H.
05-07-2012, 03:46 PM
I just put together a fun little video tribute (http://knifeinthehead.blogspot.com/2012/05/sunshine-noir.html) to a favorite sub-set of '80s neo-noirs, films I've dubbed "Sunshine Noir," but which could also easily be labeled Swelter Noir or Boomer Noir (as in baby boomer). This thread, or this one (http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44572&page=1), seemed like an appropriate place to share it on this forum.

Paul A J Lewis
05-07-2012, 04:23 PM
I just put together a fun little video tribute (http://knifeinthehead.blogspot.com/2012/05/sunshine-noir.html) to a favorite sub-set of '80s neo-noirs, films I've dubbed "Sunshine Noir," but which could also easily be labeled Swelter Noir or Boomer Noir (as in baby boomer). This thread, or this one (http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44572&page=1), seemed like an appropriate place to share it on this forum.
Have you seen this book, Jonathan? Considering your use of the label 'Sunshine Noir', you might find it interesting. I think the author's ideas are flawed, in that most of the films he discusses are little more than West Coast films noirs, but it's an interesting read nonetheless - and a fascinating selection of movies.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KNHN7XDKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

8 MILLION WAYS TO DIE is definitely underrated, but my vote for the most underrated neo-noir picture goes to Carl Colpaert's DELUSION, which is a film that I love to bits.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VmH8X84SXY4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jim R.
05-07-2012, 04:31 PM
8 MILLION WAYS TO DIE is definitely underrated

I liked the book by Lawrence Block much better than the film. I remember watching the movie just once, realizing that the two versions had little in common, and the ending was a mess. I remember a shootout with a lot of cuss words, and not much else. :(

Paul A J Lewis
05-07-2012, 05:26 PM
I liked the book by Lawrence Block much better than the film. I remember watching the movie just once, realizing that the two versions had little in common, and the ending was a mess. I remember a shootout with a lot of cuss words, and not much else. :(
Y'know, I've read a lot of Block's stuff but never picked up 8 MILLION WAYS TO DIE as it always seemed to be out of print when I searched for a copy. Do you know if it's been back in print recently, Jim?

Jonathan H.
05-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Don't know the book, no. Thanks, Paul.

Have you seen this book, Jonathan? Considering your use of the label 'Sunshine Noir', you might find it interesting. I think the author's ideas are flawed, in that most of the films he discusses are little more than West Coast films noirs, but it's an interesting read nonetheless - and a fascinating selection of movies.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KNHN7XDKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

8 MILLION WAYS TO DIE is definitely underrated, but my vote for the most underrated neo-noir picture goes to Carl Colpaert's DELUSION, which is a film that I love to bits.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VmH8X84SXY4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jim R.
05-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Y'know, I've read a lot of Block's stuff but never picked up 8 MILLION WAYS TO DIE as it always seemed to be out of print when I searched for a copy. Do you know if it's been back in print recently, Jim?

You know, I read that book so many years ago, I can't remember when exactly. I checked out a copy from a local library. Maybe you can try a library in your area?
Edit: Actually, it just occurred to me I read that book in high school. Over 20 years ago. The only Matthew Scudder novel I bought was "When The Sacred Ginmill Closes" (c) 1986, Charter Books. Which I bought a couple years after publication, which, as I said, was high school. Does Charter Books still exist? I don't keep track of such things. Sorry I can't be any more help.