PDA

View Full Version : Who all here has their own Movie Blog?

MattEvans
08-09-2010, 08:05 PM
I apologize if there is already a thread with the same premise, but who on the forum has their own movie blog(s)?

I watch a ton of movies (as does everyone else here, thus why we frequent the board) and would love to have a venue to comment on them via the World Wide Web.

Thanks!!!

Lars Andersen
08-10-2010, 02:18 AM
Though I like the news aspect of a blog, I must admit I prefer a website, like AV for instance. Looking retrospectively on the content of a blog is always dreadful and messy no matter how many tags are provided.

DJ Greene
08-10-2010, 04:29 PM
i did this last month....

http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46047

i'd have to say my favorite blog i've seen linked from AVM has been TrashFilmGuru....

MattEvans
08-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Though I like the news aspect of a blog, I must admit I prefer a website, like AV for instance. Looking retrospectively on the content of a blog is always dreadful and messy no matter how many tags are provided.

I agree, but I really enjoy Arbogast On Film. The writer always makes me chuckle.

MattEvans
08-10-2010, 05:51 PM
i did this last month....

http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46047

i'd have to say my favorite blog i've seen linked from AVM has been TrashFilmGuru....

Awesome! Thanks DJ!

John K
08-10-2010, 06:43 PM
I always think about it, and have even tried a couple times (sometimes with others, sometimes not), but am generally stymied by the lack of an angle. If I try to write about every single thing I watch, it just becomes way too much work, and I just can't manage limiting myself to a pithy entry, since it seems like there's no point - people can just go to IMDB if all they want is a short synopsis and thumbs up or thumbs down. I've yet to think of an angle that would really make what I do stand out. Perhaps I need an angel to guide me. An angle angel.

Mike T
08-11-2010, 03:23 AM
Well, Matt, I used to run one for a little bit, but about two year ago we had a son, and then a year ago we lost a parent to cancer. Life obviously took precedent in many ways -- my review blog was only ever one to put up unpublished reviews, former published reviews (with extra visuals), as well as new "on a whim" short reviews, of mainly Asian cinema and the odd cult or exploitation title.

But in essence, when it broke a few years back that British genre rag The Dark Side had been stealing internet reviews wholesale, and passing those reviews off as their own work, well...I just didn't see the point in writing a review blog anymore. Being that someone from the UK had put one of the (unbeknownst to me) Dark Side writers in touch with me for assistance with an email interview with a HK director (who, by their own admission, they'd never heard of -- even though he was one of the bigger names at the time in the region), I never felt "safe" anymore after that with my internet writing.

Then, by happenstance, a very kind gent from the US came my way and offered me a regular writing gig with his magazine. Being that a print (ie: copyrighted) publication is a little bit harder to plagiarise, I jumped at that opportunity and haven't really looked back since. I just feel a lot safer knowing that my work is still out there, albeit in a copyrighted journal, than I ended up feeling having stuff on the 'net and knowing I'd been (unwittingly) led into the clutches of some potentially rather dodgy individuals. ;)