PDA

View Full Version : Patricia Neal passes away at 84

Wayne Schmidt
08-09-2010, 12:22 AM
Great actress, very brave lady. RIP

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jmFZ-2czUTz0VK8KZzrdVx5nx34AD9HFNOOO0

Jon Houghton
08-09-2010, 12:36 AM
she was great in The Day The Earth Stood Still. R.I.P.

Troy Howarth
08-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Honestly, I assumed she passed away some time ago. Fine actress, wonderful in many films - RIP.

Jonathan H.
08-09-2010, 11:27 AM
R.I.P. Ms. Neal...

she certainly lived through more personal tragedy than most.

There's a great interview with Robert Osborne that TCM recorded several years ago. I'm sure they'll be re-running it now, if they haven't already.

My personal favorite Neal film is THE BREAKING POINT starring the great John Garfield and directed by Michael Curtiz.

cworkman
08-09-2010, 11:34 AM
That's too bad. Patricia Neal was a wonderful actress. She was also in a very good, very strange horror film titled RUN, STRANGER, RUN (aka HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY... LOVE, GEORGE) with Cloris Leachman and Ron Howard. It was directed by Darrin McGavin. For some strange reason, it's never been released on DVD. I saw it as a kid in late night television and have always wanted to see uncut ever since. It deserves a release.

I loved her in THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL and in the television movie that led into the series THE WALTONS.

Troy Howarth
08-09-2010, 11:38 AM
I'd love to see that McGavin film - I've never been able to find it....

Mark R. Hill
08-10-2010, 01:01 AM
Have always liked Patricia Neal... From DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL to the don't-miss FACE IN THE CROWD and THE FOUNTAINHEAD... I even remember her (Folgers?) Coffee commercials on TV... I have to share a memory my friend in Connecticut emailed me: Sad story... "(I once saw) Patricia Neal, in an evening gown, sitting at one of those autograph tables at a Chiller convention, looking so miserable and out of place surrounded by all the goth creep weirdos that attend those things. It was like seeing the Queen of England at a flea market!"

Adam L
08-10-2010, 01:24 AM
I interviewed her a few years ago. She was in pretty poor health then and I'm surprised she made it this long. You can read the interview here (http://www.regrettablesincerity.com/?p=5663).

Andrew Ellis
08-12-2010, 01:30 PM
I recently bought a VHS copy of "Run, Stranger, Run" on Amazon. That's an interesting movie and she was really good in that. She was married to Roald Dahl, the Bitish writer/poet, and he wrote another interesting British movie for her called "The Night Digger". I have wondered if he had something to do with "Run, Stranger, Run" too because one of the other actresses in that is a British girl named Tess Dahl, who I imagine is their daughter, and the two movies are pretty similar.

Perhaps her most famous film was "Hud" with Paul Newman. Her character in the book was actually a black woman, but since the character was kind of a love interest for Newman that just wouldn't have worked in the early 60's.

Alfred Chamberlain
08-15-2010, 11:09 PM
One of the greats.

Mike DiRoma
08-16-2010, 06:19 AM
RIP, Ms. Neal.
The very day I found out she'd passed I was listening to some old exploitation radio ads in the car and what should come up but THE NIGHT DIGGER (great narration by William Conrad). Kinda had me a frisson, as those French say. Finally got the push to find a copy on the internet and am awaiting its arrival. Always wanted to see this, sounds like a combo of NIGHT MUST FALL (or at least SAVAGE INTRUDER) and CORRUPTION OF CHRIS MILLER (yeah, I know, Dahl's story came before the Spanish film).

Oh, yeah, and I recommend RUN, STRANGER RUN if you like 70's languid horror films. The characters are caustic and fun, the setting is great.