PDA

View Full Version : John Carpenter

Kevin H
08-08-2010, 02:37 AM
There's been some JC threads around here...but let's go ahead a make this official and a little difficult.

Pick your singular favorite Carpenter film.

Jon Houghton
08-08-2010, 02:41 AM
Halloween....hands down. really looking forward to meeting Carpenter at Spooky Empire this year.

Mike T
08-08-2010, 04:16 AM
As much as I love Halloween and The Fog, it's gotta be...The Thing!

Matthew BB
08-08-2010, 04:24 AM
I'm going with THEY LIVE.

Gary Banks
08-08-2010, 09:31 AM
As much as I love Halloween, Prince Of Darkness et al I went with The Thing.

John G.
08-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Assault on Precinct 13

Aaron M.
08-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Big Trouble in Little China

Matthew B.
08-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Assault on Precinct 13. I gotta admit though, that was not an easy choice with such a great body of work.

Alex C.
08-08-2010, 11:12 AM
One of my all time favourite films is the "The Thing". But "Big Trouble in Little China" is a VERY close second. They are two completely different films, but shows John Carpenter at the top of his game. I only hope his new film "The Ward" can get him back to the man we all loved back in the early eighties.

Alex K.
08-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Why so many polls dude? You've made like 5 polls in a row. Just curious. Voted for They Live.

Kristian R
08-08-2010, 11:35 AM
It's a nice break from all the Roger Corman threads.

Ehren H.
08-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Halloween is definitely my favorite, followed very closely by Prince of Darkness, and then The Thing, and In The Mouth of Madness.

Ray Kanne
08-08-2010, 12:25 PM
I love most of his films but The Thing is my absolute favorite.

Christoffer S
08-08-2010, 01:10 PM
The Thing closely followed by Escape from NY.

MatthewA
08-08-2010, 01:13 PM
The Thing.

Escape From New York is close behind.

Andreas K
08-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Dark Star. The atmosphere of complete social disconnect is hypnotic. It's the one I've returned to most, though it's been a while now.

Guillaume P
08-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Christine.

Then Halloween,The Fog,Assault on precinct 13,Starman and In the mouth of madness.

Jonathan Douglas
08-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Like them all except ITMOM, CHRISTINE and that invisible man one with Chevy Chase, those two I find very few good things about so it's between THE THING, THE FOG and EFNY for me. The all-round best film of these classics is probably EFNY, picking that one with THE THING a very close 2nd (it used to be 1st and is still one of the coolest films I've ever seen).

Kevin H
08-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Why so many polls dude? You've made like 5 polls in a row. Just curious. Voted for They Live.

I'm still pretty new around here. Just want to get a feel for some of the more mainstream directors/ films you guys admire.

I'll slow my roll.

cworkman
08-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Like most people, I went with THE THING. It's my absolute favorite, though I also love STARMAN, HALLOWEEN and his first episode of Masters of Horror: CIGARETTE BURNS.

Like PRINCE OF DARKNESS.

Find ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK decent.

Hate VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED, GHOSTS OF MARS, IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS, THE FOG, ESCAPE FROM L.A., VAMPIRES, ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13, and THEY LIVE.

DJ Greene
08-08-2010, 04:49 PM
The Thing
They Live
Escape from NY
AOP13
Mouth of Madness
Halloween

Enjoyed Cigarette Burns as well.

Prince of Darkness was really boring...

Shane K
08-08-2010, 08:23 PM
1. Escape From New York

2. The Thing

3. They Live / Christine

Daniel M
08-08-2010, 08:49 PM
There's a Libertarian streak that runs through Assault On Precinct 13, Escape From New York, Escape From LA, They Live, and even the societal backdrop suggested in Ghosts Of Mars that I find quite appealing.

But my favorite film from him, all the way around, is The Thing.

We'll never see its kind again, sadly.

BrianS
08-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Halloween for me.

Al Edwards
08-08-2010, 10:50 PM
1.Halloween
2.The Thing
3.Prince of Darkness

Troy Howarth
08-08-2010, 10:52 PM
The Thing is his masterpiece, hands down. I like most of his films - barring Village of the Damned, which I find to be pretty much intolerable. After The Thing, I most like Prince of Darkness, In the Mouth of Madness, Cigarette Burns, Halloween, Assault on Precinct 13, They Live and Big Trouble.

Ryan T.
08-09-2010, 03:19 AM
The Thing
Assault
They Live
Escape From New York

...are my favorites.

Paul A J Lewis
08-09-2010, 06:40 AM
THEY LIVE today... THE THING tomorrow ;)

Olexei Tolchev
08-09-2010, 07:33 AM
The Thing is great....I can pretty much leave everything else . Assault is decent.

Don May Jr
08-09-2010, 10:58 AM
I'm a total PRINCE OF DARKNESS guy, myself! Followed by HALLOWEEN, then THE THING.

Rich H.
08-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Had to say Big Trouble. Then Thing, then They Live.

Ehren H.
08-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Even though it wasn't a lot of people's number one pick (wasn't mine, it was #2), I'm glad to see all the love for Prince of Darkness. I think it's an insanely underrated flick. Brilliantly plotted, quite atmospheric, and really really creepy at times. One of the best endings in horror, too.

Troy Howarth
08-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Yep, I love it a lot, too. I think it's very underrated, too, and I suspect it failed to connect with audiences at the time because it was more of a slow burn and asked people to think during a period when horror was pretty much stalk and slash.

Ehren H.
08-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Yep, I love it a lot, too. I think it's very underrated, too, and I suspect it failed to connect with audiences at the time because it was more of a slow burn and asked people to think during a period when horror was pretty much stalk and slash.

Very true. I loved it's use of physics and science throughout. As an atheist, the idea of the story is quite unsettling. I really would like a DVD with some interviews and especially a commentary. I've never heard a bad Carpenter commentary track.

You've probably read it Troy, but to anyone who hasn't, there is a book of one huge interview entitled "John Carpenter: Prince of Darkness" and covers almost every aspect of his career (up through In The Mouth of Madness if I remember correctly) that is WELL worth checking out.

Troy Howarth
08-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Actually that book covers up to and including Ghosts of Mars... I agree, it's the best book out there on him to date. The R2 disc has a commentary by Carpenter and Peter Jason - it doesn't get as indepth about the content as I would have liked, but it's a good track. The only Carpenter commentary I don't care for at all is the one for In the Mouth of Madness, but that may be due more to the ultra dull Gary Kibbee, who shares the track.

mark t
08-09-2010, 12:49 PM
BTILC is the one that I keep going back to....over and over again. Maybe a little more for Kurt Russell than Carpenter, but it's an amazingly entertaining film, and one of my all time favourites, not just one of my favourite JC films.

Ehren H.
08-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Actually that book covers up to and including Ghosts of Mars... I agree, it's the best book out there on him to date. The R2 disc has a commentary by Carpenter and Peter Jason - it doesn't get as indepth about the content as I would have liked, but it's a good track. The only Carpenter commentary I don't care for at all is the one for In the Mouth of Madness, but that may be due more to the ultra dull Gary Kibbee, who shares the track.

That's right, it does cover Ghosts of Mars. I skipped that chapter because I haven't seen the film yet (own it, need to watch it.)

Madness's track is pretty dull, but my old roommate was an aspiring DP so he did like the stuff that was covered. But, I would have liked to hear more from Carpenter. He didn't write the film, so that might have been why he didn't have as much to say as usual. Or maybe he was fascinated by Kibbee. Who knows haha. I do like the movie a lot, though.

Troy Howarth
08-09-2010, 01:33 PM
I kind of got the impression he was trying to prod his friend along - so he spent a lot of time asking Kibbee about what kind of lighting and lenses were being used... this kind of stuff CAN be interesting, but Kibbee doesn't do a good job of making it so. I'd love it if JC could go back and do a track on his own - or with Sam Neill or writer David DeLuca.

Jon Houghton
08-09-2010, 01:44 PM
I kind of got the impression he was trying to prod his friend along - so he spent a lot of time asking Kibbee about what kind of lighting and lenses were being used... this kind of stuff CAN be interesting, but Kibbee doesn't do a good job of making it so. I'd love it if JC could go back and do a track on his own - or with Sam Neill or writer David DeLuca.

I agree, as someone just starting out as a DP, I thought the commentary would at least be half way entertaining, but no. ITMOM's commentary is by far the absolute WORST I have ever heard.

Troy Howarth
08-09-2010, 01:48 PM
I don't think it's the worst I've ever heard - I may give the nod to one of those ultra disappointing Dario Argento commentaries, honestly - but it's definitely in the bottom tier. It's a pity, too, as Carpenter's commentaries tend to be a blast.

Jon Houghton
08-09-2010, 01:50 PM
I don't think it's the worst I've ever heard - I may give the nod to one of those ultra disappointing Dario Argento commentaries, honestly - but it's definitely in the bottom tier. It's a pity, too, as Carpenter's commentaries tend to be a blast.

unfortunately I have yet to hear any Argento commentaries but I want to. the commentary for The Fog and The Thing were both great and very informative, especially The Thing

Troy Howarth
08-09-2010, 01:52 PM
If Argento had been allowed to speak in Italian it might have been OK - but he struggles with words, he's clearly uncomfortable analyzing his work, and he's deliberately vague, even difficult, with the clueless moderator. It's a very frustrating experience.

Steve R
08-09-2010, 02:59 PM
The Kurt Russell stuff.

That's what I watch most often of his.
Big Trouble in Little China, The Thing, Escape From New York

Jon Houghton
08-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Ruggero Deodato speaks in Italian on the Jungle Holocaust commentary and it has subtitles, same with Paul Naschy speaking Castilian on the Horror Rises From The Tomb commentary, they should have let Argento do the same thing.

Troy Howarth
08-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Agreed. I have no idea why they pushed him into speaking English, as he's clearly not comfortable doing so. Lamberto Bava manages a bit better on his commentaries for the Demons films because he's allowed to speak Italian, and his son Roy (if I remember correctly) translates for him.

RichardDoyle
08-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Halloween
The Thing
Starman
Escape from New York
In the Mouth of Madness
Assault on Precinct 13
Dark Star

Thomas D.
08-14-2010, 02:03 PM
JC is one of my favorite directors, and here are my top 5 in order:

Halloween
They Live
The Thing
Prince of Darkness
Assault on Precinct 13

Ehren H.
08-16-2010, 01:44 PM
While I was up in NYC, Forbidden Planet (huge comic store in Manhattan) had some Carpenter shirts...picked up one of The Thing and one of They Live. Anyone know where I can get a Prince of Darkness one? haha

Paul Casey
08-16-2010, 03:11 PM
While I was up in NYC, Forbidden Planet (huge comic store in Manhattan) had some Carpenter shirts...picked up one of The Thing and one of They Live. Anyone know where I can get a Prince of Darkness one? haha

HERE! (http://www.goatsemarathon.com)

Randy Thomas G
08-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Not hard at all, The Thing is a masterpiece.

Ehren H.
08-17-2010, 01:14 PM
HERE! (http://www.goatsemarathon.com)

Dammit, Paul!

Paul Casey
08-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Dammit, Paul!

I posted that at work and then checked at home. Sadly, goatsemarathon doesn't seem to be up anymore.

Ehren H.
08-17-2010, 01:42 PM
I posted that at work and then checked at home. Sadly, goatsemarathon doesn't seem to be up anymore.

I didn't even wait for it to load, I saw the address and closed it with a quickness haha

Ian Z.
08-17-2010, 05:11 PM
This is not an easy choice.

Though it took me a while to love it as much as I now do, I'd have to say The Thing.

Very close runners up are Escape From New York and Assault on Precinct 13.

R_Strange
08-17-2010, 09:46 PM
Halloween - just a masterpiece of taut, economical suspense. Flawless.

Then: The Thing, Escape From New York and Assault On Precinct 13.

The next time I watch Big Trouble In Little China I'll be desperately trying to edit this list after the fact!