PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Oliver Stone film?

Kevin H
08-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Your favorite Oliver Stone film?

Eric B
08-07-2010, 06:51 PM
It's a tie between SALVADOR and NBK. SALVADOR has my favorite James Woods performance by far. I haven't seen it in coming up on ten years. There's a German Blu-ray out there enticing me.

NBK is awesome for its sheer kinetic energy. It plays like a movie made by a nutbag and i love it.

EDIT: Chris, I forgot about PLATOON. My father took me to see it on its opening day. I was around 14 years old. That movie is probably the reason I watch that shitty but occasionally funny TWO AND A HALF MEN (I feel dirty now).

PLATOON is great, too. You know, I still have never seen WALL STREET.

Christoffer S
08-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Platoon. A very well acted film with a great cast.

Vincent Pereira
08-07-2010, 07:20 PM
JFK. Just a stunning piece of work whether you buy the theories or not.

Vincent

Kevin H
08-07-2010, 07:40 PM

Vincent

Agreed.

It's my favorite Stone film and one of my all time favorite films.

He's made a lot of great movies, but I think JFK is his masterpiece.

Eric B
08-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Picking a favorite is a waste of time for me because he made so many great films in the '80s-'90s.

I was working at a theater the day before JFK opened and got to screen it with myself and some friends. The director's cut is even better IMO. I could spend years in that movie, and have. The scenes with Joe Pesci and Tommy Lee Jones were a revelation. I had the good fortune to see it before the general public and stoned out of my mind on some killer weed rolled on the counter that I helped sell popcorn over.

I can't wait to be able to afford a giant screen so I can watch my favorite Oliver Stone movies.

Aaron G
08-07-2010, 07:54 PM
ON ANY GIVEN SUNDAY. Probably the best film of sport ever, really get's the whole intensity of sportsmen, the behind the scenes, the coach, the 'biz'..It's a really underated film, so under-rated you didn't add it to this wanky poll!

Eric B
08-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Aaron I will definitely rent or buy ON ANY GIVEN SUNDAY at some point.

How would you compare it to the sport film TWO FOR THE MONEY?

Kevin H
08-07-2010, 08:51 PM
ON ANY GIVEN SUNDAY. Probably the best film of sport ever, really get's the whole intensity of sportsmen, the behind the scenes, the coach, the 'biz'..It's a really underated film, so under-rated you didn't add it to this wanky poll!

It made such an impact on you you couldn't even get the title right. :p

ANY GIVEN SUNDAY is the name of the movie. ;)

Eric B
08-07-2010, 08:59 PM
He can't help it. I wish I had a dollar every time I typed out the name of a movie wrong.

That said, he is Australian. I kid you Aaron...I wish I were in your shoes.

Australia is high on my wish list of countries to visit...can we have a beer?

Kevin H
08-07-2010, 09:22 PM
I'm just messin'. Take no heed. :)

Randy Thomas G
08-07-2010, 10:08 PM
ANY GIVEN SUNDAY is good but I have to go with SALVADOR, Woods is great and it has a kind of pulp poetry. After that I'd say TALK RADIO (although most of the credit should probably go to Bogosian for that) and NBK.

Not a fan of PLATOON at all.

Robin Bougie
08-08-2010, 01:22 AM
For me it is always a toss up between TALK RADIO and PLATOON... but I went with TALK RADIO in this poll because I find it holds up slightly better to repeat watchings.

BobG
08-08-2010, 01:52 AM
I'm stipulatin' The Doors.

Brian Lindsey
08-08-2010, 02:39 AM
Same here.

It's astounding how much convoluted information is presented in the film's script -- told in a non-linear fashion, often in surreal style, yet it all comes together beautifully.

The editing is superb.

Jonathan Douglas
08-08-2010, 03:34 AM
Personally I didn't like the (JFK) editing which to me is always the least likeable part about his later films, super fast editing generally just irritates me endlessly so past seeing NBK I haven't bothered with his stuff. Anyway, always liked PLATOON best (might swing back there one day) but have lately switched this favourite position over to WALL STREET, that whole yuppie environment normally makes me want to throw up as far as the pop culture goes but still exciting times the '80s surely were. The business spirit of these money hawks is well captured.

Vincent Pereira
08-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Personally I didn't like the (JFK) editing which to me is always the least likeable part about his later films, super fast editing generally just irritates me endlessly so past seeing NBK I haven't bothered with his stuff. Anyway, always liked PLATOON best (might swing back there one day) but have lately switched this favourite position over to WALL STREET, that whole yuppie environment normally makes me want to throw up as far as the pop culture goes but still exciting times the '80s surely were. The business spirit of these money hawks is well captured.

I think there's a lot more to the editing style of Stone's "experimental period" (JFK, NBK, NIXON) than mere "super-fast editing". There's an artistry to the cutting of those films that most MTV-influenced directors could only dream of achieving. The cutting is fast, fractured, and 100% correct. It flows and fits the subject matter and intensity Stone was going for brilliantly in those films. He used that style of "vertical cutting" (as he called it) sparingly in the under-rated ALEXANDER, but when he did use it there it was VERY effective.

Vincent

Vincent Pereira
08-08-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm stipulatin' The Doors.

That's a favorite of mine, too, even though I give the edge to JFK as being the more accomplished piece of filmmaking. THE DOORS is just insanely watchable and enveloping, even hypnotic (the whole desert trip that morphs into the performance of 'The End' at the Whisky is just brilliant filmmaking). Back in the 1990s I must have watched my LaserDisc of THE DOORS at least 100 times if not more. Watching the recent incredibly boring WHEN YOU'RE STRANGE documentary only cemented in my mind how much I enjoyed Stone's take on Morrison and THE DOORS, whether he took "liberties" with the subject matter (as Ray Manzarek has constantly bitched about) or not. Kilmer deserved to at least be nominated for an Oscar for his portrayal of Jim Morrison.

Vincent

Troy Howarth
08-08-2010, 09:06 PM
It's a close call between Platoon and Nixon, but I'll give the edge to Platoon. After that, I love JFK and Natural Born Killers. W and Alexander are also better than their reputations suggest.

Aaron G
08-09-2010, 03:47 AM
I saw ANY GIVEN SUNDAY on DVD nearly 10 years ago, and really dug it.

I forgot most of the other Ollie Stoned movies, but I remember SALVADOR, TALK RADIO, U-TURN and SCARFACE!

Guillaume P
08-09-2010, 04:37 AM
Salvador ex aequo with Platoon.

Paul A J Lewis
08-09-2010, 05:35 AM
It's a tough call between SALVADOR and TALK RADIO for me, but I've plumped for TALK RADIO: it's an immensely rewarding and intense film, and probably the Stone film that I've rewatched the most.

Olexei Tolchev
08-09-2010, 06:35 AM
It's a tough call between SALVADOR and TALK RADIO for me, but I've plumped for TALK RADIO: it's an immensely rewarding and intense film, and probably the Stone film that I've rewatched the most.

Yeah this, JFK is also obscenely awful but really entertaining for some reason (to me).

Rich H.
08-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Platoon every time for me.

Gary Banks
08-09-2010, 10:22 AM
SEIZURE- Can't help it. It is the only one I want to watch on a yearly basis.

John G.
08-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Salvador.

I tend to prefer the three films he penned in the early 80s... SCARFACE, MIDNIGHT RUN and CONAN THE BARBARIAN (although I hear Milius wasn't very faithful to his script).

Tim Mayer
08-09-2010, 11:36 AM
THE HAND.
I wonder if Tim Lucas is going to send Stone a telegram about this thread?

Troy Howarth
08-09-2010, 11:37 AM
We can only hope.

It's odd about Stone's horror films - he clearly comes off as a fan of the genre on the commentary track for The Hand, yet he has very little feeling for the genre... neither of his straight out horror films work very well, IMO.

Jonathan Douglas
08-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Polanski's probably the best older famous director these days doing more genres with the finest feel for horror, Zemeckis made the terrible WHAT LIES BENEATH and was clearly in waters he shouldn't be.

Troy Howarth
08-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Polanski's a master of many genres, and horror is undoubtedly one of them, yes.

RichardDoyle
08-09-2010, 04:29 PM
I'm not a big fan of Oliver Stone. I picked "Natural Born Killers", but "JFK" would be a very close second.

Daniel M
08-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Salvador.

Vincent Pereira
08-11-2010, 01:09 AM
Yeah this, JFK is also obscenely awful but really entertaining for some reason (to me).

Olexei:

How exactly do you find JFK to be 'obscenely awful'?

Vincent

Terry Carpenter
08-11-2010, 02:47 AM
I'd say it'd be a three way tie for Salvador, Platoon, and Wall Street. Talk Radio would also be up there based on the intense beginning, but I agree it's more of a Eric Bogosian picture, especially after Stone dumped the film.

I wouldn't say so much now, but at one point Oliver was one of the most intense directors of his time.

Magnus Wersen
08-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Another vote for The Hand. I know it's awful but way more entertaining than his other boring films.