PDA

View Full Version : Lynch or Cronenberg?

Kevin H
08-06-2010, 02:19 AM
Which filmmaker's work do you prefer?

What is your favorite film by that director?

Stefan A.
08-06-2010, 03:58 AM
Mr. Lynch. I really dig Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me. I wrote a detaild reason somewhere here as to the reason why, which I'll try to find and paste.

Stefan A.
08-06-2010, 04:10 AM
SPOILERS:

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is really one of the greatest movies ever made. It portrayed the death of a tragic, young beautiful woman in such a dark and poetic manner--and in scray surrealistic ways at times. In a maddening fashion, it explained Laura Palmer's erratic behavior and her own downfall from reality. She is a sadly delusional protagonist. And it was real heartbreaking to see her spiral into madness and despair as a result of her crazy and abusive father. Also, we breifly see a slight sense of sincere remorse from the father when he cries and hugs her, saying he loves her. It's obviously superseded, however, by his incestuous abuse and his fear of losing her.

The father's crazy, the daughter's deluded about her father raping her and has hallucinations, and she is a coke head. She can't have any kind of a stable relationship with a man for obvious reasons, and she ends up distancing herself from her best friend. And during this whole time, and since Laura was 12 and her father started raping her, the mother has been criminally detached from the whole situation. What this movie does that the show doesn't is portray the death of Laura Palmer's spirit. Sadly, she was dead inside herself long before her murder. It's a painful and heartbreaking portrayal to watch, but this stuff sadly does happen in real life. Even though this is fiction which was surrealistic and slightly awkward at times, I'm sure a lot of child rape victims can relate to Laura Palmer's agonizing loss of innocence.

John G.
08-06-2010, 06:37 AM
This should be a close poll... I love both filmmakers and I'm finding it hard to choose just one. I ended up with Cronenberg, since I think his particular blend of surrealism (centered, as it is, in the body, and more often than not in a recognizable universe rather than in a stylized Lynchian Americana) is more difficult to pull off... Cronenberg can never get away with dream logic, since the horrors in his films are always tangible ones... the flesh attacks itself with a cold and clinical materiality (almost an inevitability, which is terrifying) that makes his films slightly more effective, IMO.

Alex K.
08-06-2010, 06:40 AM
I don't get it. They're two entirely different directors. It's not like Fulci or Argento, Kurosawa or Bergman, etc. A choice between Jodorowsky or Lynch would have made more sense, because both are very much Surrealist directors. I'm not voting because the poll makes no sense whatsoever. No offense.

Randy Thomas G
08-06-2010, 07:59 AM
Cronenberg has made more good films, there are few of his films that don't work for me.

Lynch on the other hand has made some very good films (Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Muholland Drive) and some terrible films (Eraserhead, Lost Highway), and one great/terrible film (Dune). I don't find his surrealism particularly effective because it is so heavy-handed, the symbolism is too easy to read and I don't think he's nearly as subversive as some would claim (The Straight Story indeed). Inland Empire is one of his few films that is authentically irrational.

Jens Thomsen
08-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Lynch is my favorite director, so that's an easy pick for me.

My favorite film of his tends to be Mulholland Dr., though I also LOVE Blue Velvet and Lost Highway and care a lot for most of the rest of his films.

I was a big fan of Cronenberg when I was younger, but today it seems like the only film of his that I really, really love and keep turning back to is Videodrome. And perhaps Naked Lunch. I do like most of his films, though, and I still rate him very high among my favorite directors.

Troy Howarth
08-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Cronenberg. Videodrome would be my favorite. I'm not interested in Lynch's work.

Troy Howarth
08-06-2010, 10:51 AM
I don't get it. They're two entirely different directors. It's not like Fulci or Argento, Kurosawa or Bergman, etc. A choice between Jodorowsky or Lynch would have made more sense, because both are very much Surrealist directors. I'm not voting because the poll makes no sense whatsoever. No offense.

They both make "offbeat" films within the mainstream - to me, it makes sense.

cworkman
08-06-2010, 11:23 AM
I would say that most of Lynch's films aren't really in the mainstream, unlike most of Cronenberg's. That said, I chose Cronenberg, with my favorite probably being EASTERN PROMISES, though it was a tough call because I like so many of his films and in so many periods of his filmmaking.

Paul Francis
08-06-2010, 01:04 PM
I like both but I'll have to vote Cronenberg. My favourites are Scanners,Dead Ringers and Videodrome. I also really like Spider. His films seem really personal and I get the sense that nothing is 'accidental' or throwaway. There is a rare quality to his work and the fact that he films in Canadian locales is great.

Derek Steckler
08-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Probably my 2 favorite North American directors still working, very hard to choose.

Lynch has been a huge influence on me artistically but my world view is closer to Cronenberg's.

Lynch has moved even farther away from the mainstream recently, and I have to respect that. However, while Cronenberg's recent films seem more mainstream, they never smack of compromise and I think he's at the top of his form in terms of technique. I would like to see him write more original material, since he has such a unique vision. Perhaps he was dissuaded by the lack of response to eXistenZ (which I love.)

I wish Lynch would get cracking on another film and not spend so much time promoting transcendental mediation. However, since he works so intuitively he has to wait for the ideas to come. In short, I can't choose and am thankful for all the great films each has given us.

RichardDoyle
08-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Cronenberg, although I like Lynch quite a bit.

Hard to pick a favourite, but probably "The Fly", "Dead Ringers" or "Crash".

Zane C.
08-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Cronenberg. Lynch is great, but Cronenberg has done more varied work, IMO.

They're both wonderful filmmakers, though, and I enjoy the films of both.

Al Edwards
08-06-2010, 04:24 PM
David Cronenberg. Videodrome.

James Morton
08-06-2010, 10:42 PM
I have on dvd BLUE VELVET and WILD AT HEART
The former being Lynch's best film in my opinion
With Cronenberg I have SHIVERS, RABID, THE BROOD, SCANNERS, VIDOEDROME, THE DEAD ZONE, THE FLY and A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE
So guess which director is the best?

Dominic D
08-06-2010, 11:51 PM
I'm surprised Cronenberg seems to be romping this in. Both amazing directors who would have films in my top ten but I have to go with Lynch. Cronenberg's recent move into more mainstream work makes him the less interesting of the two for me. And off the top of my head I can't really think of a better film than Lost Highway.

Stefan A.
08-07-2010, 01:36 AM
I have on dvd BLUE VELVET and WILD AT HEART
The former being Lynch's best film in my opinion
With Cronenberg I have SHIVERS, RABID, THE BROOD, SCANNERS, VIDOEDROME, THE DEAD ZONE, THE FLY and A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE
So guess which director is the best?

Lynch. Quality over quantity.

Aaron G
08-07-2010, 03:31 AM
I've loved everything Lynch has done since FIRE WALK WITH ME, but I'm a Crony, even though I reckon he's gone dull..

Emanuele Sheriff
08-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Hmm, my initial instinct was to go with Lynch but I do find some of his "weirdness" rather contrived at times (Fire Walk With me, Inland Empire). He does have a way with images that make your neck hairs stand up, though. Cronenberg can be brilliant but I don't think he's as good with actors and can be pretty pretentious, also. I don't think he's as painterly in his framing and imagery either so I'd give the edge to Lynch at least up to ten years ago.

Vincent Pereira
08-07-2010, 07:18 PM
This one needs a "tie" option. They are both brilliant and completely different from one another.

Vincent

Eric B
08-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Why do you ask me to choose? I love all the film makers on the polls I voted on today.

ERASERHEAD and THE BROOD are seminal films that helped program me into the movie watcher I am today.

I'm really sketchy on both their modern day works. MULHOLLAND DRIVE and A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE are as far as I've been on their respective journeys.

My vision of film making are forever in both their debts.

Matthew BB
08-08-2010, 12:18 AM
I like Cronenberg more, CRASH being my favorite.

However, Lynch's early/underground work blows Cronenberg's out of the water. I know that they're very different (DC'S STEREO and CRIMES OF THE FUTURE are basically feature length), but both were aiming at creating highly experimental and disturbing pieces. Lynch was much more effective. And as some have already said, he has stuck closer to abstraction. Even if it's wrong to try to compare these periods, none of his later work beats the short films.

And I'm not trying to dwell only on Lynch's career. But it's relevant because both directors graduated to the mainstream and Cronenberg has been more successful at....being weird AND accessible.

Mike Paine
08-08-2010, 08:42 AM
At first thought I was going say cronenberg based on his early works of horror. Then I got to thinking and I'm going to have to go with Lynch. He was one of the first directors I really "dug into" and went scouring for his other films. I can't even count how many drunken teenage nights I spent with my friends watching Blue Velvet. Were still running around yelling one liners at each other from it and when an outsider at the bar orders a Heiniken instead of a Pabst they are in for a world of hurt.

Michael Greenwood
08-08-2010, 12:19 PM
I love them both but I had to go with David Cronenberg as his movies are much more firmly rooted in my memory/heart and Dead Ringers is nearly untouchable.

Guillaume P
08-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Cronenberg's recent move into more mainstream work makes him the less interesting of the two for me.

I didn't like at all "History of violence" and "Eastern promises" but overall i tend to prefer Cronenberg,because of his early films up to and including "Dead ringers".

cworkman
08-08-2010, 02:41 PM
I love both HISTORY OF VIOLENCE and EASTERN PROMISES. They are superb dramas, very down-to-earth, but with really nasty streaks through both of them. If more people made "mainstream" movies like this, I'd go to the theatre all the time.

Ryan T.
08-08-2010, 04:58 PM
That's tough. I'd probably say Cronenberg but both are close to even for me. For me, what it comes down to is their dark, acid-drenched works that define their style: Eraserhead and Videodrome.

Ian Z.
08-11-2010, 01:55 PM
I don't get David Lynch. His stuff just seems to be weird for the sake of being weird.

My favorite is David Cronenberg. Scanners is probably still my favorite of his films, a very unique experience.