PDA

View Full Version : Fincher or Nolan?

Kevin H
08-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Two of the best contemporary mainstream filmmakers.

Even though they are stylistically quite different...which director's work do you prefer and why?

MattEvans
08-04-2010, 01:34 AM
I prefer Nolan. His resume isn't deep, but very stylish and interesting. I don't believe there is a film of his that I haven't enjoyed. Though, I am interested in seeing Fincher's take on The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Terry Carpenter
08-04-2010, 02:43 AM
I'd say I have to go with Nolan on this one. While I love a few of Fincher's films over Nolan's, Christopher Nolan has the more consistent work.

Fred Anderson
08-04-2010, 03:18 AM
Zodiac makes Fincher the best of those two. Hard to beat such a masterpiece.

John G.
08-04-2010, 06:54 AM
I'll go with Fincher as well but if I were to rank their respective filmmographies it would look like I was shuffling the deck at randon. But as Fred said, ZODIAC would be at the top, so Fincher wins.

Randy Thomas G
08-04-2010, 07:04 AM
Nolan is more consistent but hasn't achieved anything near as great as ZODIAC yet.

Troy Howarth
08-04-2010, 07:15 AM
Sorry to sound like a broken record, but I gotta go with Fincher for Zodiac alone... though Nolan's Insomnia and The Prestige are also pretty damn sweet.

Alex C.
08-04-2010, 07:54 AM
I would say Nolan. Purely for the fact that he loves practical effects over CGI, although he does use some CGI, it is the bare minimum mainly for background shots. Fincher tends to come up with stylistic camera moves that uses CGI to enhance the effect, although quite effective in most cases, you can tell that they are CGI.

If you were to gauge them on box office success, that speaks for itself in Nolan's favour.

Ray Kanne
08-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Fincher. I like most of his work while I only really like Memento out of Nolan's films. His Batman films were terrible in my opinion. I haven't seen his newest, Inception, yet though but from what I have read I'm not really looking forward to it. It sounds quite silly.

John K
08-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Honestly I'm not that keen on either - both are too clinical in their approach for me to really get into them. Might give Fincher the slight edge, but honestly, I consider it a fairly fair pole, because they're about equal in my esteem.

MattEvans
08-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Zodiac can't really redeem Fincher for the rest of his work?

I feel like Fight Club and Seven were better.

Troy Howarth
08-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Probably not, though with the notable exceptions of Fight Club and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, I tend to like his work more often than not.

John G.
08-04-2010, 01:00 PM
I used to somewhat underrated FIGHT CLUB (blew my mind on the first viewing but I got sick of it when I saw it two or three times on DVD) but I rewatched it again recently and I had forgotten how gleefully funny it is... definitely one of Fincher's best films (right behind ZODIAC and SE7EN, IMO).

Terry Carpenter
08-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Nolan is more consistent but hasn't achieved anything near as great as ZODIAC yet.

But Nolan did nothing near Alien 3 ;).

RichardDoyle
08-04-2010, 04:10 PM
I like both, but I'll go with Fincher.

Fincher

Alien 3 - Pretty good until the last 10 minutes
Seven - Really quite good
The Game - Thoroughly preposterous
Fight Club - Quite brilliant
Panic Room - A solid little thriller
Zodiac - Quite brilliant
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Haven't seen it

Nolan

Following - Extremely good
Memento - Quite good
Insomnia - Okay. A bit too "by the numbers" as a re-make
Batman Begins - Okay. Really good when you think of "Batman Returns" and "Batman & Robin"
The Prestige - Quite Good
The Dark Knight - Bizarrely overrated. A good action movie, but ridiculously implausible plot.
Inception - Haven't seen it.

Randy Thomas G
08-04-2010, 10:59 PM
The Prestige is Nolan's best film for me, I'm quite fond of it actually.

Ray Kanne
08-05-2010, 09:55 AM
I should watch The Prestige again soon. I've only watched it once.

cworkman
08-07-2010, 12:43 PM
I hate FIGHT CLUB and THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON, both of which are overrated, in my opinion. But I opted for Fincher on the basis of SE7EN (which is terrific outside of Brad Pitt's terribly dull performance) and ZODIAC, which is his masterpiece. As much as I like several of Nolan's films, nothing in his ouvre compares to ZODIAC. If ever a film qualified as perfect, ZODIAC would be it.

cworkman
08-07-2010, 12:45 PM

I agree. It's a great film, definitely Nolan's best, with absolutely superb performances from all involved. I'd like to see Nolan make more of these types of dramas and less of the INCEPTION-type big action/adventure films (though THE DARK KNIGHT really manages to balance drama and action/adventure).

Emanuele Sheriff
08-07-2010, 03:42 PM
I'd have to say Fincher also for Seven and Zodiac alone though I do actually like The Dark Knight flicks and Memento . Fincher knows how to ratchet-up suspense very skillfully.

Christoffer S
08-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Fincher for now, but I think Nolan has more potential and just has to get out of doing shitty Batman movies.

Vincent Pereira
08-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Nolan, not only because I like more of his films and his overall style but also by virtue of the fact that he usually writes or co-writes everything he does. Fincher is hit or miss for me- technically an incredibly gifted filmmaker, but I tend to dislike a film of his for every one I like. I don't love all of Nolan's work but percentage wise he's got the better track record compared to Fincher IMO. Also, for all his technical expertise, I frequently find Fincher's work rather cold and strangely remote. It's like he's too focused on creating perfect precise pre-planned images and something gets lost in all the extensive planning. It's funny because Kubrick was often criticized for the same thing but I never had that problem with his work*, but with Fincher I often do.

Vincent

* This might be because for all the control he had over his films and his reputation for being such a perfectionist and shooting so many takes, Kubrick was actually very "free form" on set as a director. He didn't like to storyboard, he liked to explore and discover the films on set with the cast and crew. With Fincher it's the opposite, everything seems to be completely pre-planned to the smallest detail. I think I just don't respond as well to that kind of filmmaking, I like the idea of the director really "creating" the film on set in real-time and exploring every option as they go along, as opposed to following a pre-planned map to the tee.

Eric B
08-07-2010, 07:21 PM
I think ZODIAC is one of the better mainstream films of the last decade. That said I love MEMENTO and THE PRESTIGE just as much.

Come to think of it I would change my vote to Christopher Nolan. THE PRESTIGE is awesome in every which way I can think of.

In response to the above comment...I wonder if there are film makers that find a medium. They create storyboards, but are able to change their minds on the day a shot is made. That's how I would make a movie, but I imagine some toes would be stepped on and extra money spent that way.

MattEvans
08-08-2010, 08:24 PM

I agree. I thought about that movie for days after wards.

Guillaume P
08-09-2010, 04:37 AM
Neither Fincher nor Nolan!:D:o

Olexei Tolchev
08-09-2010, 06:37 AM
I'm not much a fan of either man, really liked Zodiac and thought Inception was pretty alright. I generally dislike the rest of their work.

I guess Fincher by default since I liked his version of Memories of Murder.

Wostry Ferenc
08-09-2010, 11:39 AM
With the exception of the DARK KNIGHT, didn't like any of their films. Guess that means Nolan...

Troy Howarth
08-09-2010, 11:41 AM
I'm surprised - I thought you were keen on Fincher for some reason....

RichardDoyle
08-09-2010, 05:18 PM
I agree. It's a great film, definitely Nolan's best, with absolutely superb performances from all involved. I'd like to see Nolan make more of these types of dramas and less of the INCEPTION-type big action/adventure films (though THE DARK KNIGHT really manages to balance drama and action/adventure).

I think Scarlett Johansson is actually pretty terrible in this, but otherwise I agree.