PDA

View Full Version : RIP: Tom Mankiewicz

Mike T
08-03-2010, 06:44 AM
Now here's some sad news...

http://www.mi6.co.uk/sections/articles/biography_tom_mankiewicz.php3?t=&s=&id=02630

The article is very Bond biased (obviously), but there was a man who made his mark on Hollywood. Fare thee well, Mr. Mankiewicz :(

Troy Howarth
08-03-2010, 08:21 AM
I never realized he and Ben Mankiewicz were related...

Jonathan H.
08-03-2010, 12:16 PM
I never realized he and Ben Mankiewicz were related...

Haven't read the obit yet, but all of the Mankiewiczs in Hollywood lore are related (not such a common name). These include not only Tom and Ben, but Herman J. (uncle) and Joseph L. (father). All due respect to the younger guys, it was their elders who really did the name proud: Herman co-wrote CITIZEN KANE (amongst many other writing credits including an uncredited turn on THE WIZARD OF OZ) and Joseph won Oscars for writing directing A LETTER TO 3 WIVES and ALL ABOUT EVE (in back to back years!).

Troy Howarth
08-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Haven't read the obit yet, but all of the Mankiewiczs in Hollywood lore are related (not such a common name). These include not only Tom and Ben, but Herman J. (uncle) and Joseph L. (father). All due respect to the younger guys, it was their elders who really did the name proud: Herman co-wrote CITIZEN KANE (amongst many other writing credits including an uncredited turn on THE WIZARD OF OZ) and Joseph won Oscars for writing directing A LETTER TO 3 WIVES and ALL ABOUT EVE (in back to back years!).

I knew Herman and Joseph were brothers, but I somehow never connected the others... Sleuth (directed by Joseph) is one of my favorite films.