PDA

View Full Version : Thor--Kenneth Branagh

Paul H
07-29-2010, 01:58 PM
5 minute trailer may be taken down soon.

<object width="480" height="204"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xe6v9h?additionalInfos=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xe6v9h?additionalInfos=0" width="480" height="204" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xe6v9h_thor-comic-con-trailer-2011-real_shortfilms">Thor Comic Con Trailer 2011 Real!!!!!!!</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/thortrailer">thortrailer</a>. - <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/us/channel/shortfilms">Check out other Film &amp; TV videos.</a></i>

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800369/

Daniel S.S.
07-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Well that looks pretty damn cool to me. It seems like a lot of people are luke warm on Thor as far as the comics but it was one of my staples (with Cap and the FF) so I'm definitely pumped about the movie. This trailer makes me feel even better about it, thanks Paul.

cworkman
07-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Damn, I missed it.
Either way, I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

Shawn Francis
07-30-2010, 04:05 PM
I got in just under the wire on this one and saw the trailer. Now, I'm not a big fan of THOR, but, before viewing the trailer, I was aware of some shots of the flick that had been making the rounds on the web, and based on those alone, I was sorta getting intrigued by it. The trailer looks interesting, but I'd like to see a good portion of this thing take place in Asgard as opposed to the "real world."

Plus, I'm really itching for this AVENGERS movie, just so I can see the HULK go ape shit and watch all the heroes try and stop him. They had a helluva time doing that in the animated flick, ULTIMATE AVENGERS.

Tim Mayer
07-31-2010, 07:44 PM
It has to be a better Thor than the one on that godawful Bill Bixby Hulk TV movie.

Jon Houghton
07-31-2010, 07:47 PM
It has to be a better Thor than the one on that godawful Bill Bixby Hulk TV movie.

is that the Thor that loved to drink beer?

Jim R.
08-04-2010, 08:13 AM
is that the Thor that loved to drink beer?

Actually, that was the ULTIMATE AVENGERS animated movie.

John G.
08-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Will Rick Wakeman be making a cameo? He was the definitive Thor.

Chad Haden
08-04-2010, 04:23 PM
I'll check this out

Daniel S.S.
05-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Just returned from seeing this. I know I should probably let it settle for a while before commenting but... I'm trying to think of reasons why this isn't the best Marvel movie to date and I can't come up with any. Highly satisfying in the comic geek sense; riddled with well portrayed, familiar supporting characters. A couple (two actually) of ethnically curious castings but the actors in question were fine. In fact casting was definitely a strong point. Was also surprised by the presence of some genuine laughs here and there provided mostly by an adorable Kat Dennings. Just a good, solid fantasy-adventure movie all around.

I always want these movies to do well so they keeping making more and the theater was packed. I think, and hope, that word of mouth is going to be positive and a big factor.

****SPOILER****About the post end-credits sequence:

Most people stayed to see the sequence and I'm sure we were all jacked up about it. It seemed the whole theater (myself included) was disappointed. I know I was looking for a new hero, Henry Pym and Janet maybe but it was just a setup for the next movie without even a hint at a new character. I'm not even sure what it was about but my best guess was the Cosmic Cube...? Obviously a little internet research will reveal but I could tell I wasn't the only one who was confused.

cworkman
05-06-2011, 11:40 PM
I LOVED IT! It was a great film, classy, intelligent, witty... I've come to loathe Anthony Hopkins of late, but he tore this one up. His performance was superb, as was Tom Hiddleston's; the two of them damn near stole the show. Chris Hemsworth was perfectly cast as Thor, and on top of all that - plus some kickass scenes set on Asgard (and a terrific explanation of just what Asgard is) - there was Natalie Portman lending her charm and beauty to the film. It was essentially true to the comic book with some nice references to the early days. I also loved Hawkeye's cameo; it was very well integrated (and they picked the perfect actor to play the part). Loved it, loved it, loved it. It's the best film I've seen this year, and one of the best comic book movies ever made.

Who knew you could take those corny Thor and Loki costumes and actually make them cool? Keneth Branaugh certainly did. God bless the man. I can't help but believe that this film is going to be huge!

As for the after-credits sequence, I'm with you. I'm not sure what it was either, and the fact that they didn't introduce any new characters or set up another single Avenger film was more than disappointing.

Daniel S.S.
05-07-2011, 12:14 AM
I also loved Hawkeye's cameo...

Holy crap that went right by me... :( I suck...

But great, I'm glad you felt that good about it too. I didn't want to go too overboard about it but now, eff it...

I've always been in love with Sif and she was perfect. Her battle with the Destroyer was short but oh so sweet. Also a great job with the Warriors Three, despite the "reimagining" of Hogun the Grim.

The image toward the end of Odin and Thor on the balcony with Asgard in the background was stunning.

Wonderful visual interpretations of the Rainbow Bridge, the inter-realm travel and Asgard in general.

And great point about Kenneth Branaugh. That whole Hawkeye/Mjolnir sequence was brilliantly done. When you're sitting there worried that Thor might not make it that means some serious directing is going on.

I will see this again!

Jonny Redman
05-07-2011, 05:06 AM
Have to agree with the praise so far, I thought it was terrific. Felt like standing up and cheering when Thor was reunited with Mjolnir. I'm going to take my kids to see it this weekend, purely as an excuse to watch it again!

cworkman
05-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Now that I've seen it in 2-day, I may see it again in 3-D. My partner loved it too.

The rainbow bridge was very well conceived; all of Asgard and the Bifrost were. Odin's banishment of Thor was a real highlight, as was Odin's revelation to Loki. Beautifully rendered and acted. I also loved Sif and the rest of the Asgardians. And I love the fact that Marvel didn't downplay this aspect of the story. It's great to see a trailer and think you've just seen the best footage from the final reel of the film, only to learn that what you watched takes place in the first half hour!!! That the action alternated between Earth and Asgard was a terrific move on the screenwriters' parts. There was no attempt to really ground Thor like there has been in the various X-Men movies. And you have to respect that. (I must say that's also the one thing that I find attractive about the new Green Lantern, some bad digitals notwithstanding.) I was certain that they would simply not make any references to his ability to fly when holding Mjolnir, yet Branaugh refused to shy away from that aspect of the character - though he wisely underplayed it. (The few instances it happened looked terrific, I have to say.)

Again, I loved it, loved it, loved it and am very, very pleased with it. It's a comic book movie as film art, and I greatly appreciate it. (And hey, I'm much more of a DC Comics collector myself!)

R. Olson
05-08-2011, 02:16 AM
My quick review after seeing the midnight show Thursday into Friday originally posted in the Last Movie You Watched thread:

Thor: Marvel continues to release excellent highly entertaining superhero flix and Thor is no exception. I'm a big fan of Norse Mythology and it's cool to see how well they pulled off all of the mythological elements without becoming too corny. The cast is excellent and Hemsworth is perfect as the titular character. As always there is an extra scene after the credits. Definitely worth a look. Oh and BTW, the full Captain America trailer looks awesome.....

James Erickke
05-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Looking forward to seeing this one this week sometime. Looks to be a nerdtastic summer with this one, Green Lantern, Cap'n America, and Xmen.

R. Olson
05-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Yeah this summer does seems to be loaded with quite a few super hero movies. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you, just an observation. The best thing is that they all look like they could be pretty good as well. I'm not entirely sure about Reynolds as The Green Lantern, but we'll see. Either way it's certainly better than another slew of remakes!!!

Oh and BTW for all you Kat Dennings fans out there (My hand raised!) Check out my latest post in the Best Tits In Film History thread. I think you like what you find.... :D

D.Wilt
05-08-2011, 11:08 AM
I didn't expect to like "Thor," since--although I was a comic book fan in my youth--I haven't watched many of the Batman, Spiderman, Iron Man, Hulk, X-Men etc., etc., films over the past decade. But as it turned out, I liked "Thor" just fine. Some critics have found fault with the "split" structure (half-Asgard, half-New Mexico), but I felt these two very different tones/styles complemented each other. Chris Hemsworth, Anthony Hopkins, and Tom Hiddleston are all quite good. [and yes, I like Kat Dennings :) I mean, she's quite funny in this film and, well, er...easy on the eyes too...]

Slight longer review here: http://mexcine.tumblr.com/post/5191610183/thor-2011

cworkman
05-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Kat Dennings is terrific.

I like the split structure. They complement each other very well. There are a lot of films that devolve into two different films when this type of structure is used. But not this one; the two parts were entirely consistent with each other.

I'm looking forward to a lot of movies this summer: Green Lantern, X-Men: First Class, Captain America, Harry Potter 8, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, etc. It's the antithesis of last summer, when there was nothing of interest out. I'm a little worried about the digital costume on GL and the terribly unbelievable skinny Steve Rogers in Cap, but other than that, I'm hoping that all these films turn out to be at least interesting.

James Erickke
05-13-2011, 03:00 PM
This was a lot better than I thought it was gonna be. I loved the Asgard stuff, the design was amazing. Spotted Hawkeye, but someone needs to explain the significance of the post credit sequence, cause that went over my head, prolly cause I wasn't a big Thor reader.

RichardDoyle
05-13-2011, 05:50 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_Cube

cworkman
05-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Unfortunately, the film didn't really make it clear that it was the Cosmic Cube. It certainly didn't look like the comic book depiction of the cube, which is probably why so many diehard comic fans were confused by it.