PDA

View Full Version : Motion Picture Country Home...

mark d.
07-28-2010, 10:40 AM
this is a curiosity question, more than anything else.

there is a nursing home for retired actors located in Los Angeles and it's called the Motion Picture Country Home.

Famous actors who have resided there in the past include Stooge Larry Fine and Francis Lederer.

Does anyone have any ideas as to which actors/actresses are currently residing there?

Troy Howarth
07-28-2010, 11:09 AM
I've no idea who is there, or indeed if this is typically made public knowledge, but I think I recall reading that Robert Quarry finished his days there.

doug schultz
07-28-2010, 12:22 PM
I don't know for sure, but I think you have to be close to broke to stay there. I remember a year or so ago they were talking about closing it due to lack of funds. When an obit says they died in Woodland Hills, I am told that means they died in the Motion Pictures Rest Home.

CarterStevens
07-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Screw them! They will not consider anyone who worked in adult films, no matter how long a career. Do I sound bitter, you betcha

doug schultz
07-28-2010, 06:08 PM
I have heard a lot of people are excluded and that there was a long waiting list. I really don't know if it's true but I have heard if you know someone involved with the home it is easier and faster to get in.

Thomas Wood
07-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Robert Quarry was there during the last year (approx.) of his life and I remember Fred Ray saying that Allen Garfield was there. Can't remember if he mentioned any other names.

John W.
07-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Interesting. This link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_%26_Television_Country_House_and_Ho spital) gives a low-down on its history, economic status and shows a list of celebrities who have lived and died there. There's a link at the bottom of the page for its blog. Not sure if it's still running as it says it was due to close in '09. Would've been cool to drop in on some old-timers.