PDA

View Full Version : Running Out of Movies?

Werner Von Wallenrod
07-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Is anyone else getting the sensation that they're running out of movies to watch? 'Cause lately, I have been.

Not that I've seen every movie ever... but I am getting close to having seen every movie I think I'd enjoy. Or, those that I haven't seen yet is because I can't (foreign films with no English translations, no available DVDs, pending release, etc).

My Netflix list is now mostly comprised of "long shots" or movies I only have a marginal interest in... and they've even pretty much given up on recommending me movies! I click "not interested" or a low star rating on one movie they throw up on the homepage, and then when I click "see more recommendations," they don't have any more!

And I think my interests are pretty broad... I like films of pretty much every genre (though admittedly very few action), and I like foreign films, films from all different decades, indie films & blockbusters, b&w or color... But my list of films I'd like to see is almost down to just those remaining films that I can't get my hands on.

Every once in a while I'm pleasantly surprised... I put off seeing Cheri (the Michelle Pfieffer one) 'cause it didn't look too appealling; but it turns out I quite liked it. But 99% of the time, I'm right about what I'm gonna like and not like... and the notion of slogging through thousands of films that I dislike just hoping for a jewel in the rough doesn't feel too attractive.

Dick Ringeisen
07-21-2010, 10:57 PM
I change genres every so often. I may get a but bored of one, then shift to another that I enjoy. What I mean is, there are times I may dig deep through one genre, reach a point of saturation, and shift to another. Usually when I return to digging through the prior genre again, i can think of more things to give a chance. I don't really discriminate when it comes to years though, as long as the movie isn't silent. I'm not too fond of silent movies.

Also, I have favorites I sometimes fall back on. Those movies I don't tire of, for whatever reason.

Robin Bougie
07-22-2010, 12:04 AM
I am frankly mystified by people who think they've seen everything good, and usually chalk this stance up to one of two things:

a) Their tastes are very specific, and they aren't really open to new things
b) They are totally ignorant to what is actually out there

Now, wether either are attributable you or not, I have no idea -- I'm just telling you how I automatically react upon hearing that, especially considering how many movies exist in this world.

Me? I am continually ASTOUNDED at how little I know about the history of movies, and how much more there seems left to discover. Just when I think I know a lot about even a specific genre, all of a sudden I find an entire film industry worth of movies from it. Case in point, my recent enthusiastic discovery of Indonesian action movies from the 80s (ex; Lethal Hunter, Final Score, The Stabalizer etc). I also just discovered the movies of Preston Sturges the other day. Had heard about him for years, but had no idea how much I'd love a movie like Sullivan's Travels.

Mark C.
07-22-2010, 02:09 AM
I dont think im even close to being out of movies, I mean they just keep making them. My tastes usually are in the older films but every so often I get caught up with newer stuff and realize there are tons of excellent films being made. I've also been all region since dvd inception and seeing all the films that had no or limited release in R1 land also keeps my wishlist pretty hefty.

Wayne Schmidt
07-22-2010, 02:50 AM
I dont think im even close to being out of movies, I mean they just keep making them. My tastes usually are in the older films but every so often I get caught up with newer stuff and realize there are tons of excellent films being made. I've also been all region since dvd inception and seeing all the films that had no or limited release in R1 land also keeps my wishlist pretty hefty.Like you my tastes are mostly older movies, and I'm no doubt a senior citizen compared to the majority here, but even in my advancing age I've come to realize I'll be taking my dirt nap long before I've had a chance to see every OLDER film I'd like to see. That's one reason I've gone off "collecting" for the most part. Outside of the hardcore favorites I'd rather at least make a feeble attempt to see the rest once.

Alex K.
07-22-2010, 03:07 AM
I've come to terms that I've seen all of the worthwhile Italian horror/action/exploitation films of the 70's and 80's. The 90's stuff and beyond that (excluding Michele Soavi's work) totally lack anything that gave those older films their flavor. The only way you can tell that a modern Italian Horror film is Italian is by looking at the credits and noticing the dubbed accents. They've lost their identity.

Now I'm not saying Italy is incapable of making great films, but I am saying that the B movies have lost their touch. It's a real shame as I love the great films that were made and the cheesy pos are supreme guilty pleasures of mine.

Randy Thomas G
07-22-2010, 04:14 AM
Can say I ever feel this, sometimes I get burned out of watching loads of films, but there's always so many great films to watch, particularly foreign language or older films.

John G.
07-22-2010, 07:57 AM
I don't ever really have this sentiment, since I'll watch anything from arthouse to cult films. I've noticed that friends of mine who are only really interested in mainstream films sometimes say a similar thing to me but then they will outright reject a suggestion that they try some "obscure boring subtitle film" or some "cheesy no-budget schlock."

Troy Howarth
07-22-2010, 08:20 AM
I'll NEVER run out... I'm forever looking to explore directors, genres, even countries that I haven't much bothered with.

Steve Barr
07-22-2010, 08:42 AM
I'm not close to running out, but for some nations (such as India) it's clear to me there's a large but finite number of films I have an interest in seeing. I've seen around 500, and so far can't imagine seeing more than 1,000 more in my lifetime. A lot of the older ones are bad/too slow/completely unavailable, and they aren't making that many interesting ones each year. OTOH, after perhaps 1,000 HK/China films, I'm nowhere near exhausting my interest.

Somewhere in my Netflix queue are some of the Italian films y'all are so fond of, there are plenty of Film Noir I've not seen, etc.

DJ Greene
07-22-2010, 02:02 PM
i feel you on this. i know there is probably hundreds if not thousands of films i have not seen that i would enjoy but getting access to these films is easier said then done. Net Flix is great but they dont, by a long shot, have everything. i have many films on "save" that are not available at the moment or never will be and there is only one cult movie rental spot still open in my city.

Benjamin C
07-22-2010, 02:15 PM
I couldnīt imagine running out of movies ever, there is just too much out there to see in one lifetime. Sure i get tired of some genres with time but thatīs just the usual phases i go through. I had big italian horror/giallo phase the last few years. But as time went by i got tired of them and felt iīve seen most of the worthwhile titles

Now iīve rediscovered my love for the spaghetti western and started exploring the more obscure titles. Besides that i get a pretty broad interest anyway when it comes to movie. Iīm also more then willing to give new horror films a chance as well even though i get burned quite often.

Iīll watch German amateur splatter flicks, DTV action flicks, Italian gialloīs and BW silent horror movies all in week. Being versatile certainly has it advantages. Try and experiment with different genres to keep things fresh and switch things up when you get tired.

This month i might be one a Jess Franco trip while next month iīll be all into Ringo Lam just to name an example.:)

Steve R
07-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Never.

Can goto many different genres, types, decades and country's films. Love revisiting flicks as well.

The Noir pit is endless, desperate and dark :cool:

Lately there's been a steady stream of viking films from scandinavia that seem to be really outstanding. Troubled Water, Girl with Dragon Tatoo series, Cold Prey many others.

Can get lost in Asian films for weeks on end.

But everyone once in a while I get a hankering for a really good giant monster movie I have never seen. That's a tough one.

Mark C.
07-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Never.

The Noir pit is endless, desperate and dark :cool:

I 've seen prob around 200 titles, so not even half yet. I read somewhere there are over 450 that can be classified as such.

Raleigh B
07-22-2010, 03:41 PM
It's really all in knowing where to order from anymore, as the stores mainly have time to hype up all of the major studio product and the Blu Ray discs that will go well with whatever machinery they have on sale - If you come across something interesting or even go into a place that has the occasional person who knows about these films, you're lucky.

There's never a shortage of films in my opinion, it's just that a good number of the avenues we used to go through are closing in, sometimes through pressure not to stock anything highly erotic (Especially in the Post-Wardrobe Malfunction era) or looking at the numbers of what actually sells with the Mainstream.

Look through your favorite publications (Shock Cinema, especially!), read reviews from sites you trust and check out the links sections...there's an endless world to go through.

When it comes to Horror, though, I do feel that most of the classics are already around in one digital form or another, although of course there's always someone turning out something that might interest you (With me, it's usually something from Japan). When the DVD market exploded, it knew where to go as far as the fanbase for Classic Horror thanks to the word of mouth concerning the films through the years, and by now, with very few exceptions, many of the great flicks are released by one company or another (although of course, OOP discs can get too pricey for this bad economic climate). There have been many obstacles in getting several titles out, which causes a problem with several titles getting or not getting the release they deserve, but while there are still some good new releases out there, most of what has been produced in The States has been mined very well enough for us to dig through and enjoy until our passing day.

Now is the time to support releases of films from other genres and the remaining companies that produce discs with great care (Synapse, Blue Underground, Scorpion, Dark Sky, Code Red...). This may be a time to pinch pennies, and of course with many of us diving back into the budget labels (Especially Mill Creek), but this should not mean that support for the full-price companies that are trying to keep the flame alive when it concerns those of us who love film history should be looked over. There's still plenty of great films ready to watch.

RichardDoyle
07-22-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm never worried about that, but then again, I enjoy watching films. I don't have strong genre preferences, and I don't rule out watching stuff because of who's in it or who made it. It doesn't even usually bother me if I don't like what I'm watching. I like having seen it and having expanded my knowledge.

I try to maintain a list of stuff I've never seen that should be available on DVD in some form, and there are 663 items on it right now. It's not even close to complete because I'm just jotting down stuff as I run across it. Now, considering that I also like re-watching lots of films, I'm not worried.

Mark Savage
07-22-2010, 04:37 PM
If you're adventurous about cinema, it's impossible to run out of movies.

For those feeling like they're scraping the bottom of the barrel, get yourselves a multi-zone, multi-system DVD/Blu-Ray player... then re-start your cinephilia with these directors:

Arturo Ripstein
Koji Wakamatsu
Jan Kadar
Jan Sverak
Kon Ichikawa
Marcel Pagnol
Jean Pierre Mocky
Pierre Etaix
Kim Ki Young
Abraham Polonsky
Phil Karlson
Aleksey Balabanov
Fernando Mendez

Werner Von Wallenrod
07-24-2010, 03:57 AM
Yeah, I am region free... But that only adds a couple hundred maybe compelling DVDs for me (and some of those are just superior editions of films that are available in R1). So even with that, I'm running out! lol

Mattias Karlsson
07-25-2010, 08:43 PM
I think there is over 5 million movies made and there are over 60 000 torrents on cinemageddon, so I think that one needs to have a rather small taste if they are running out of movies to see :)

Eric B
07-25-2010, 09:09 PM
I think I'll run out of life before I run out of movies.

Jimmy Simard
07-25-2010, 11:27 PM
Doesn't happen for me. Sometimes I got tired to watch a specific movie genre, but with all the movies I own and buy it isn't really a big deal to change for something else since I like a lot of movies genre.

Jon Houghton
07-26-2010, 01:30 AM
I think I'll run out of life before I run out of movies.

I second that. if I ever run out of movies, it will mean I am in an urn somewhere.