PDA

View Full Version : Cinema classics: I think I missed a few

Mike T
07-21-2010, 12:32 AM
Of late, I've been going through my masses of DVDs and watching a lot of older films, of the mainstream award-winning/critical acclaim variety, and I figured there's quite a few old flicks that I could do with either finally seeing or revisiting.

My memory's not what it used to be, so here's a list of titles I'm looking at (over time) for feedback or thoughts on, as the Maniacs are usually the ones to ask if you want literate and (usually) intelligent responses:

10 Rillington Place
All the President's Men
American Gigolo*
Badlands
The Big Lebowski
Big Wednesday*
Bonnie & Clyde
The Boston Strangler
Breakheart Pass
Chato's Land
Cool Hand Luke*
Dead Man Walking
Dog Day Afternoon
The Eiger Sanction*
Fargo
A Fistful of Dynamite (aka: Duck, You Sucker!)*
Gandhi
Get Carter
The Great Escape*
The Grifters
Hard Times (aka: The Streetfighter)*
Hardcore
High Plains Drifter*
The Ipcress File
Jagged Edge
The Last Picture Show
Last Tango in Paris
Leaving Las Vegas
Little Big Man
A Man Called Horse*
The Man Who Would Be King
Marathon Man*
The Mean Season
The Mechanic
Midnight Cowboy
Mr. Majestyk
The Offence
The Omega Man
Once Upon a Time in the West
Out of Africa
The Outlaw Josey Wales*
Papillon
The Party
Performance
Play Misty for Me
Pretty Baby
The Return of a Man Called Horse*
Romeo and Juliet (1968)
Ronin
The Sand Pebbles
Silverado
Straw Dogs
The Sugarland Express*
Zulu

We can blame revisitation viewings of Jaws, The French Connection and Chinatown in close succession for this question. Everything else, of critical acclaim and/or populist interest, that I enjoyed over the years since the mid-seventies onwards I have on DVD or Blu-ray...so everything else not on this list of sgnificance or notice, I probably have my own copy of already.

* all titles marked with an asterisk, I have either seen on original release at cinemas or drive-ins, re-release or eons old television screenings. But as I said above, the old memory's not what it used to be -- I remember liking most of the titles (that are, maybe, worth revisiting) already previously seen, but apart from the most fleeting of images or scenes I can't recall why... :o

Thanks in advance and cheers and all that :)

NB: I know some of the titles above aren't exactly "classics" per se, but most seem to draw decent notice. My apologies too if some of these titles have been done to death on these boards; it isn't my intent to clog up the boards with posts about "same-old same-old" films.

Marshall Crist
07-21-2010, 03:20 AM
Solid list, most of which I have not seen. The epic standout here for me is HARDCORE. It somehow manages to simultaneously be a sincerely heartfelt drama, yet exploitative and campy.

Robert Richardson
07-21-2010, 04:58 AM
I'd say watch 'em all, and as long as they're in alphabetical order you'll have a fine time working your way through that list exactly as presented.

Pressed to pick a "top of the pile" 10 out of that list (and drawing from the ones you haven't already seen): ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN, THE BIG LEBOWSKI, DOG DAY AFTERNOON, FARGO, THE LAST PICTURE SHOW, MIDNIGHT COWBOY, ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, THE PARTY, STRAW DOGS, and ZULU. If your memory is scant of COOL HAND LUKE, THE GREAT ESCAPE, and MARATHON MAN be sure to revisit those.

My backup roster would be: BADLANDS, BONNIE & CLYDE, CHATO'S LAND, GET CARTER, HARDCORE, THE IPCRESS FILE, THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING, THE OMEGA MAN, PAPILLON, and THE SAND PEBBLES. They're all outstanding films so you can't go wrong.

Troy Howarth
07-21-2010, 07:25 AM
Of late, I've been going through my masses of DVDs and watching a lot of older films, of the mainstream award-winning/critical acclaim variety, and I figured there's quite a few old flicks that I could do with either finally seeing or revisiting.

My memory's not what it used to be, so here's a list of titles I'm looking at (over time) for feedback or thoughts on, as the Maniacs are usually the ones to ask if you want literate and (usually) intelligent responses:

10 Rillington Place
All the President's Men
American Gigolo*
Badlands
The Big Lebowski
Big Wednesday*
Bonnie & Clyde
The Boston Strangler
Breakheart Pass
Chato's Land
Cool Hand Luke*
Dead Man Walking
Dog Day Afternoon
The Eiger Sanction*
Fargo
Gandhi
Get Carter
The Great Escape*
The Grifters
Hardcore
High Plains Drifter*
The Ipcress File
Jagged Edge
The Last Picture Show
Last Tango in Paris
Leaving Las Vegas
Little Big Man
A Man Called Horse*
Marathon Man*
The Mean Season
The Mechanic
Midnight Cowboy
Mr. Majestyk
The Offence
The Omega Man
Out of Africa
The Outlaw Josey Wales*
Papillon
The Party
Performance
Play Misty for Me
Pretty Baby
Romeo and Juliet (1968)
Ronin
The Sand Pebbles
Silverado
Straw Dogs
The Sugarland Express*
Zulu

We can blame revisitation viewings of Jaws, The French Connection and Chinatown in close succession for this question. Everything else, of critical acclaim and/or populist interest, that I enjoyed over the years since the mid-seventies onwards I have on DVD or Blu-ray...so everything else not on this list of sgnificance or notice, I probably have my own copy of already.

* all titles marked with an asterisk, I have either seen on original release at cinemas or drive-ins, re-release or eons old television screenings. But as I said above, the old memory's not what it used to be -- I remember liking most of the titles (that are, maybe, worth revisiting) already previously seen, but apart from the most fleeting of images or scenes I can't recall why... :o

Thanks in advance and cheers and all that :)

NB: I know some of the titles above aren't exactly "classics" per se, but most seem to draw decent notice. My apologies too if some of these titles have been done to death on these boards; it isn't my intent to clog up the boards with posts about "same-old same-old" films.

I haven't seen all of these, but my ratings for the ones that I have seen are included...

10 Rillington Place 8/10
All the President's Men 7/10
American Gigolo*
Badlands
The Big Lebowski 7/10
Big Wednesday*
Bonnie & Clyde 6/10
The Boston Strangler 8/10
Breakheart Pass
Chato's Land
Cool Hand Luke* 7/10
Dead Man Walking
Dog Day Afternoon 9/10
The Eiger Sanction* 5/10
Fargo 9/10
A Fistful of Dynamite (aka: Duck, You Sucker!)* 9/10
Gandhi 7/10
Get Carter 10/10
The Great Escape* 7/10
The Grifters
Hardcore
High Plains Drifter* 8/10
The Ipcress File 8/10
Jagged Edge
The Last Picture Show 9/10
Last Tango in Paris 9/10
Leaving Las Vegas 8/10
Little Big Man
A Man Called Horse*
The Man Who Would Be King 8/10
Marathon Man* 7/10
The Mean Season
The Mechanic
Midnight Cowboy 10/10
Mr. Majestyk
The Offence 10/10
The Omega Man 6/10
Once Upon a Time in the West 10/10
Out of Africa
The Outlaw Josey Wales* 7/10
Papillon 8/10
The Party 8/10
Performance
Play Misty for Me 9/10
Pretty Baby
Romeo and Juliet (1968)
Ronin 5/10
The Sand Pebbles 7/10
Silverado
Straw Dogs 10/10
The Sugarland Express*
Zulu 8/10

Steve R
07-21-2010, 02:11 PM
There are a lot of great ones here. Here's a few that stand out to me

The Michael Caines
Zulu (I've seen this endless times and love it every time)
The Man Who Would Be King (wonderfully rousing John Huston, Sean Connery, Kipling adventure, superbly done)
Get Carter (along with Long Good Friday at the top of Brit gangster films)

Big Wednesday (maybe Milius' best film)

Cool Hand Luke (I can eat fifty eggs)

The Grifters (Tell me about the oranges, Lilly)

Hard Times (excellent gritty Coburn, Martin and Bronson)

The Mechanic (another great Bronson, JMV from Big Wednesday,too)

Marathon Man (for many years this was the thriller that defined the genre)

The Mean Season (nice little know serial killer thriller, good Kurt Russell)

The Omega Man (another ones I've seen countless times and it still does it)

Silverado (just brims with a love of Westerns, Costner fits his role perfectly)

Straw Dogs (This is the kind of thing that made Sam Peckinpah a legend)

I've seen every one of these and with maybe four or five exceptions would sit down and watch anyone of them with you.
Amazing how much more meaningful some of them are as you get older.

Jonathan Douglas
07-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Seen most of them and would rate them something like this on the personal 10 scale, for the rest either not seen or little/no memory of but they could indeed do with a revisit many of them.

10 Rillington Place 8/10
All the President's Men 8/10
American Gigolo
Badlands 8/10
The Big Lebowski
Big Wednesday
Bonnie & Clyde 8/10
The Boston Strangler 7/10
Breakheart Pass 8/10
Chato's Land 7/10
Cool Hand Luke 6/10
Dead Man Walking 5/10
Dog Day Afternoon 10/10
The Eiger Sanction 9/10
Fargo
A Fistful of Dynamite 7/10
Gandhi
Get Carter 8/10
The Great Escape 10/10
The Grifters
Hard Times 8/10
Hardcore 7/10
High Plains Drifter 8/10
The Ipcress File 7/10
Jagged Edge 6/10
The Last Picture Show 6/10
Last Tango in Paris
Leaving Las Vegas
Little Big Man 8/10
A Man Called Horse 7/10
The Man Who Would Be King 7/10
Marathon Man 10/10
The Mean Season 6/10
The Mechanic 8/10
Midnight Cowboy 8/10
Mr. Majestyk 7/10
The Offence 7/10
The Omega Man 8/10
Out of Africa
The Outlaw Josey Wales 6/10
Papillon 9/10
The Party 6/10
Performance
Play Misty for Me 9/10
Pretty Baby
The Return of a Man Called Horse 6/10
Romeo and Juliet (1968)
Ronin 7/10
The Sand Pebbles 7/10
Silverado 6/10
Straw Dogs 9/10
The Sugarland Express 6/10
Zulu 8/10

RichardDoyle
07-21-2010, 04:36 PM
That's a pretty fine list. Here are my ratings for the ones I have seen:

All the President's Men 10/10
American Gigolo 7/10
Badlands 10/10
The Big Lebowski 10/10
Big Wednesday 7/10
Bonnie & Clyde 10/10
The Boston Strangler 8/10
Cool Hand Luke 9/10
Dead Man Walking 10/10
Dog Day Afternoon 10/10
Fargo 10/10
A Fistful of Dynamite (aka: Duck, You Sucker!) 7/10
Gandhi 10/10
Get Carter 8/10
The Great Escape 10/10
The Grifters 9/10
Hard Times (aka: The Streetfighter) 7/10
High Plains Drifter 8/10
The Ipcress File 7/10
Jagged Edge 6/10
The Last Picture Show 10/10
Last Tango in Paris 10/10
Leaving Las Vegas 8/10
Little Big Man 9/10
A Man Called Horse 6/10
The Man Who Would Be King 10/10
Marathon Man 8/10
The Mean Season 6/10
Midnight Cowboy 10/10
The Offence 9/10
The Omega Man 8/10
The Outlaw Josey Wales 9/10
Papillon 8/10
The Party 7/10
Performance 9/10
Play Misty for Me 7/10
Pretty Baby 8/10
Romeo and Juliet (1968) 8/10
Ronin 9/10
Silverado 6/10
Straw Dogs 10/10
Zulu 8/10

Matthew BB
07-21-2010, 04:44 PM
The epic standout here for me is HARDCORE. It somehow manages to simultaneously be a sincerely heartfelt drama, yet exploitative and campy.

Well put. I'll add that it's the most frightful non-horror movie that I can think of at the moment. Some of it is crazy.

As for the rest of the list, I like many of them. I'm really into Leone, the 70s film brats, and studio guys like Lumet and Penn who not only stayed relevant but also excelled as they got older.

One that I can't believe I haven't seen myself is THE BOSTON STRANGLER. I should watch that next. So maybe you should too, Mike.

Ross Meyer
07-21-2010, 07:15 PM
I really think that The Last Picture Show is the perfect film. Flawless in every way and every performance. Can't recommend that one enough.

Also you can't go wrong with Badlands, The Big Lebowski, Dog Day Afternoon, Hard Times or Once Upon a Time in the West.

Emanuele Sheriff
07-21-2010, 08:28 PM
A good list,mate. For a top 14 ( I can't choose just ten!) I'd say:

All the President's Men (truly nerve-wracking)
Badlands
The Boston Strangler
Dog Day Afternoon
Get Carter
The Grifters (Amongst the best films of the last 3 decades,IMHO)
The Ipcress File
Last Tango in Paris (Brando's best performance ever, possibly the best ever filmed)
Midnight Cowboy
Papillon
The Party (Peter Sellers - a true great)
Ronin (underated actioner)
Straw Dogs

Bill Sankey
07-22-2010, 05:45 AM
Seen around half of these. There's a lot of good / interesting watches there, so I'd just pick through them bit by bit.

My own faves are BADLANDS which is just amazing film-making. And PERFORMANCE for it's headfuck editing. GET CARTER for its grit and melancholy. BIG WEDNESDAY is the best mainstream surfing movie.

Some of them I was a little disappointed by, largely because of hype / expectation (BIG LEBOWSKI). Though some of the standard "classics" on that list are very good and worth a look (DOG DAY AFTERNOON, MIDNIGHT COWBOY, BONNIE & CLYDE).

Gandhi is the sweeping epic you'd expect - a style that bores me to tears and Ronin never really ignited for me.

AMERICAN GIGOLO was the one film I couldn't work whether I liked or not. Some bits are poignant, some bits are head in the hands awful. Bizarre movie. I have a problem with Geer, I think.

Mike T
08-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Just a quick one to say (belatedly) thanks kindly to all who replied and took the time to offer recommendations from the original list. This has certainly helped in prioritising the films that I start catching up with! :)

There'll be another small list of additions sometime in the near future, but I'm busy on and off with lots of (personal) things at this juncture so it'll be a little way off (ie: after I've started making a small dent in the existing recommendations). Much appreciation for everyone's efforts!

Oh, what the heck -- I can always follow up on things later on. Here's the remainder additions:

Around the World in 80 Days (1956)
Bullitt
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Chariots of Fire
The Eagle Has Landed
Frenzy*
Gallipoli
The Graduate
The Guns of Navarone*
Ice Station Zebra*
Love Story
The Magnificent Seven
Mean Streets
The Molly Maguires
The Night of the Generals
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest*
Ryan's Daughter
Sophie's Choice
Sunday Bloody Sunday
The Tenant*
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Wait Until Dark

Again, the ones marked with an asterisk (*) I've seen, but have only the vaguest of memories of (Guns of Navarone I can only remember the climactic assault on the guns themself!). So, I think that covers off my extended intentions to wander off down memory lane... :)

John G.
08-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Frenzy*
The Tenant*
Wait Until Dark

These are my favorites of the one's you've listed. THE TENANT is a classic!

Mike T
08-02-2010, 01:50 AM
THE TENANT is a classic!

Funny story about The Tenant: When I was a little guy, I was allowed to sit up on occasions and watch the late night horror movies (had something to do with being allowed to read Famous Monsters as a kid, methinks) and one time that included Polanski's The Fearless Vampire Killers, albeit in its US variant as that was what was sold to Aussie TV in the day. So, young Mike immediately knew the name "Roman Polanski" -- but come the times his Macbeth and The Tenant were aired, in modified TV versions, I was strictly forbidden from watching them...as Mr. Polanski was now considered "a weirdo" and his films weren't in my best interests. True story! :D

Years later, after I left home, I made it my mission to start catching up on my Polanskis as I consider him a rather fine filmmaker. However, he was still verboten at home (with all the recent hoo-hah, I can now see why -- of course, I discovered that story on the back of doing some research on the Manson murders a couple of decades ago) and to this day my Dad still gets his back up if I mention Roman's name; as he believes, due to some of the films he made, that Polanski has some kind of (imagined) involvment in the Manson affair. I kid you not... :eek:

Thus, professing a love of Chinatown and The Ninth Gate wins no favour with my surviving parent. :p

Ron S
08-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Really strong list Mike. If you haven't seen things like Butch Cassidy, The Graduate, Midnight Cowboy or the Magnificent Seven you're almost obligated to view them just for their historical significance. But I'll also call out for The Grifters as a personal favorite. Not in the same league with so much of the list but an excellent Jim Thompson drama.

Wayne Schmidt
08-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Badlands
The Big Lebowski
Bonnie & Clyde

Fargo

Get Carter

The Ipcress File

Performance

Straw Dogs

Zulu

Most of your list are at least worth seeing, many are great but just don't resonate with me. The ones are I left are what I'd loan you outta my collection and say "you've GOT to see these!". They're movies I've enjoyed on multiple occasions and think hold up really well.

The two I bolded come with a caveat - see them on as big a screen, and in the best circumstances possible. ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST and ZULU are still effective in a good home theater (especially the blu-ray of ZULU) but they definitely play much better in a big theater.

paul h.
08-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Bullitt

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Frenzy*
Gallipoli

The Graduate

The Tenant*

Wait Until Dark

All the President's Men
American Gigolo*
Badlands
The Big Lebowski
Big Wednesday*
Bonnie & Clyde

Cool Hand Luke*

Dog Day Afternoon
The Eiger Sanction*
Fargo

Get Carter

The Grifters
Hardcore

The Last Picture Show
Last Tango in Paris

Little Big Man

Marathon Man*
The Mean Season
The Mechanic
Midnight Cowboy

The Omega Man

The Outlaw Josey Wales*
Papillon
The Party
Performance

Ronin

Straw Dogs
The Sugarland Express*
Zulu

nice list...Watch the ones in bold first.

Alfred Chamberlain
08-04-2010, 10:50 PM
I haven't seen all of these, but my ratings for the ones that I have seen are included...

Badlands

Troy, *shocked* you haven't seen this. You will love it.