PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Starz is trying to sell Anchor Bay

Derrick King
07-10-2010, 01:26 PM
and Overture, Film Roman and Starz Animation

Taken from toonzone (http://www.toonzone.net/news/articles/34225/starz-to-sell-film-roman-and-starz-animation)

Variety reports John Malone's Starz wants out of the movie financing business. Starz is trying to sell it's Starz Media division that houses Overture, Anchor Bay Entertainment, Film Roman and Starz Animation. There's a possibility that the companies would be sold off individually if they can't get much traction with the sale as a group. Malone's Liberty Media holding company is believed to be focused on streamlining Starz's operations to focus on the 16 Starz-Encore pay TV channels. Insiders said there have been several offers made for Starz Media.

Jason Lee
07-11-2010, 02:20 AM
I wonder how much they are asking for ANCHOR BAY?

Terry Carpenter
07-11-2010, 05:21 AM
Hopefully that means getting back to all the Horror/Cult movies.

Dominic D
07-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Hopefully that means getting back to all the Horror/Cult movies.

I don't know anything about the inner workings at Anchor Bay but I had always assumed that Bill Lustig was responsible for that stuff. Is that accurate at all? I do recall the company getting a lot less interesting as soon as he jumped ship.

Terry Carpenter
07-11-2010, 11:48 AM
I don't know anything about the inner workings at Anchor Bay but I had always assumed that Bill Lustig was responsible for that stuff. Is that accurate at all? I do recall the company getting a lot less interesting as soon as he jumped ship.

Well after he left they came out with the Day and Dawn DVD's along with Hills Have Eyes and some other goodies. I'd give a lot of credit to Michael Felsher, I think I actually prefer the DVD's post Lustig.

Thomas Hart
07-11-2010, 02:02 PM
All those film's rights were acquired by Bill Lustig and his group (who then continued the Anchor Bay quality of titles over at Blue Underground and Severin Films) before they left. Michael Felsher and Red Shirt simply did the extras they were comissioned to do (and I don't think they did Dawn, Day or Hills). In fact I believe they did extras on less than a handful of Anchor Bay titles. Here's Red Shirt Pictures website, if you click on DVD projects at the bottom, it shows what DVDs they did work on.

http://www.redshirtpictures.com/

David F
07-12-2010, 12:26 PM
For me at least, AB was never the same after Lusting left.

Luis Domenech
07-12-2010, 01:06 PM
I'm curious if Anchor Bay has lifetime rights to the New World catalog (post-Corman)...if so, maybe whoever buys them will release blu-rays of some of their better titles like Dead End Drive-In, Vamp and Dead Heat. Quick, someone alert Shout! Factory :-)

Eric R.
07-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Oh Anchor Bay brings back good memories. I use to collect their horror/cult releases on VHS and now own close to 110 of their movies on DVD. They use to be my favorite company until Lustig left. It went to Blue-Underground but since they've almost ceased all new releases it now has become Synapse. Thanks Don May for keeping up the great releases when other companies have seemed to stop!