PDA

View Full Version : Rather than watch that new DVD, you reach...

Fred Anderson
07-09-2010, 10:53 AM
... for something old, something you already seen thousands of times before. It happens us all, especially us who has hundreds of unwatched movies in piles around the apartment/house.

So what do you reach out for, what's the easiest to watch when you don't feel for watching that new, ultra-rare, new post-apocalyptic giallo-kung fu-drama from Code Red or Mondo Macabro?

Me? I prefer these movies, mostly because they either are mainstream in a more lowbudget way, or just... not boring:

Resurrection (yes, the one with Christopher Lambert, great movie!)
Nightmare City
Holocaust 2000
Zodiac
That fat documentary about the real Zodiac on the 2-disc edition of Zodiac
Any Bond-movie with Roger Moore

Daniel S.S.
07-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Off the top of my head, titles I've watched again rather than put a dent in my to-be-watched pile:

Planet of the Apes
Step-Brothers
Slaughter Hotel
The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave
Anchorman
Frogs
Idiocracy
Iron Man
X-Men Trilogy
Shutter Island
Don't Look In The Basement
The Devil's Nightmare
Napoleon Dynamite
Mystery Men
Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll

Luis Domenech
07-09-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm going to have to keep a list of unwatched stuff (its approx. 30 titles) just as a reminder that I have movies sitting around waiting to be watched. There are two movies that are the "default" titles I always turn to when I don't feel like taking a chance on something new: Shock Waves and Hell Night. But lately I've been catching up with the unseen pile. Just last weekend I saw Spartacus, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Black Moon Rising and Ben-Hur all for the first time!

Gary Banks
07-09-2010, 11:37 AM
There are a few dvd-r's that I just filed away knowing that I was never going to get around to them. I've had some movies sitting on the shelf for at least three years that were picked up for $5 or less. Then again I really only have about 20 factory dvds sitting unwatched.

But most of my choices are either Netflixed or ones I haven't seen in a while. So Spiderman 2 and Duck You Sucker are going to sit for a while.

Andrew Monroe
07-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Although I do try to watch new-to-me stuff quite often, there definitely are times when a familiar friend is called for. Times when I'm really tired or depressed seem to be when I reach for something comforting, or that doesn't quite require the same level of concentration as a new film. These spaghetti westerns are always the first thing I reach for in these times:

NIGHT OF THE SERPENT
THE RETURN OF RINGO
DEAD MEN RIDE

and these film noirs always hit the spot:

PHANTOM LADY
THE BIG CLOCK
ACE IN THE HOLE

I also have watched DEATH OCCURRED LAST NIGHT many, many times. Love that film.

John K
07-09-2010, 04:15 PM
I actually almost never watch things I've seen before, simply because I have such a big pile of things to watch. Whenever I get the urge to rewatch something, I have to find someone new to show it too, so I can rationalize it by saying that at least I'm introducing someone new to it.

I tend to use TV more as comfort food than movies anyway. I can definitely understand having stuff you like to watch again and again, but there's just so much stuff out there that I tend to get a bigger thrill exploring yet another new thing.

Aleck Bennett
07-09-2010, 04:22 PM
I was just thinking about this, actually. The wife's away for a couple of days, and when that happens, rather than watch the stuff I've got piling up, I'll almost always reach for THE BEYOND or CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD (just rewatched the BD of that again last night).

Wayne Schmidt
07-09-2010, 05:06 PM
There are definitely "comfort food" movies I go back to a lot, despite having a ton of unwatched stuff. Those would be things like the Rathbone / Bruce Sherlock Holmes series, for example. They fit the bill for a few reasons. They're well made. They bring back pleasant memories of my youth, watching them on Saturday afternoons. And they're SHORT, which if I'm starting something after nine p.m. is a consideration. Another group would be the Hammer shows, all of which I've watched to death. But these days I'm trying to have the discipline to slog through the unwatched pile.

But for those of you with a lot of never-seen items in your collection, I've another question. When going through them do you sometimes know in your heart you'll NEVER watch certain ones? I've got many I picked up as a sense of duty because they're movies I "should see" for different reasons, but now realize they don't appeal enough that I'll probably never get to them. I'd rather give FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED another spin first. ;)

Troy Howarth
07-09-2010, 05:21 PM
I've found myself revisiting some Bava films lately, even though I have plenty of other stuff to watch... Twitch of the Death Nerve, Lisa and the Devil, Kill, Baby... Kill!, Baron Blood. Sometimes the mood strikes and that's what I want to watch.

DJ Greene
07-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Melville, Cronenberg, Hitchcock....

Fred Anderson
07-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Oh, X-Files! Always when I should watching unique and rare and cool and something I haven't seen before, I just watch an episode of X-Files instead.

Blake L.
07-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Law & Order
Jaws
Big Trouble in Little China
The Dark Knight
The Zero Effect

...off the top of my head.

Matthew BB
07-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Not totally on-topic, but along the same lines:

I try to watch new-to-me stuff as much as possible, but whenever a friend asks me to bring something over, I feel the urge to impress the shit out of them and reach for titles like the original ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13, SORCERER, BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA.

And BLUE COLLAR, which I've screened for innumerable amounts of people. A few of them have made a fuss about watching that one for some reason, but it always wows everyone.

Jonathan Douglas
07-10-2010, 08:10 AM
Sometimes you can have a dozen different styles and nothing excites you, I think those moments are quite normal times for most people, then other times you want to watch everything thus stuck with the opposite problem. I have stacks of films still not watched, and can find myself going over the piles unable to decide so if pressed for time a real drag and then pick something because it's short. Which often turns out to be episodes of some TV series rather, the much easier solution at times. Also convenient to have a few other hobbies like books or collecting stuff (not movies), when the viewing urge just isn't there. I can go for days and not watch films because mood is so crucial, so whether I have titles unwatched for years I will not grab for them unless I really want to, films shouldn't be an obligation it should be an incitation. Plus sitting on tons of still-to-watch TV stuff isn't making it a faster process. Like others seem to do, I'll often choose the most tried and true of which several faves are seen like once a year and so it's to hell with all those on the waiting list once more. Like all good things in life mood is so important, why should films be any different so the faves just sometimes win over the unseen. Eventually you hope to get there though, but an old flame is an old flame and can't be helped.

james_brummel
07-10-2010, 10:35 AM
I can watch "Spirit of 76" with David Cassidy over and over. And "Alice Sweet Alice", Return of Count Yorga, sometimes I'll throw on Solaris for a few laughs.

Mark Nelson
07-10-2010, 02:10 PM
CANNONBALL RUN (natch)
SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT
DETROIT ROCK CITY

Gary Banks
07-10-2010, 08:36 PM
A ton of them:
Lady Frankenstein
Black Sabbath (AIP version)
Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things
The Black Abbot
Strangler Of Blackmoor Castle
Creature With The Blue Hand
Secret Of The Blue Room
I Walked With A Zombie
Castle Of The Walking Dead

Eric B
07-10-2010, 09:18 PM
for the beer. Oops, wrong thread. I'm reaching for some of the underwatched movies in my collection. One of these day I gotta watch the Amadeus Blu-ray. Bad reviews of the PQ have held me off.

I just ordered VICE SQUAD. I've been watching baseball and TRUE BLOOD lately. I hope to make up for it in the fall and spend some fun time with some genre faves. THE WICKER MAN comes out on Blu-ray in the UK then. I'll pair that up with THE INNOCENTS and have a good time.