PDA

View Full Version : When movies isn't fun anymore...

Fred Anderson
07-09-2010, 04:50 AM
....have you experienced that?

It's been going on for a couple of months now. I just have problem seeing what's interesting with movies. It just feels empty. I've seen it all before, there's no surprises - have you seen one giallo, you've seen them all. Or whatever genre it is.

I'm not getting that adrenaline-kick from watching a great movie. I know it's great, I know it's my favorite, but still... my mind is just neutral. So I turn off the movie an do something else instead. Checking my mail instead, or reading a book.

Hell, not even bad movies makes me react anymore. Probably need a vacation from it, I guess.

On the other side, this lack of interest saves me money because I don't give a shit about new dvds or blu's. I should have bought a lot this month, but the movies I bought never gave me that happiness that I expected. Watched them, maybe wrote a few word on my blog about them and then they're gone.

Ah, I'm not suffering really. Just something I noticed. I will probably get back my inspiration for the movie pictures after the summer again :)

Benjamin C
07-09-2010, 05:14 AM
You're not alone, Fred. Every once and a while my brains also overloads and i just don't feel like watching movies at all, i just can't get any enjoyment out of 'em at that point. I don't know what exactly triggers it but with like all things in life i guess it's simply about excess. Sometimes you just need to shift your focus so you can recharge your battery.

You can't be occupied 24 hours a day with movies and all things related. The thing is it should always be a hobby and something you enjoy. Not something that becomes a daily task or chore. You don't have to watch a movie every day or every week or always talk movies with friends and relatives.

After all there are other things in life to enjoy like friends, family, going to dinner, vacations and what not. Try to mix things up a little bit and i'm sure your passion for movies will return soon. Like i said i know the feeling and i've been down that road before as well. And with the summer knocking at your door you should be outside enjoying the weather not sitting in a dark room by yourself watching movies. Give yourself a summer break, fall and winter are the "time to watch movies" season of the year. ;)

Marshall Crist
07-09-2010, 05:18 AM
Sorry to hear of your situation. I believe there was another thread like this a year or two ago, so it definitely happens. Movies are not enough to sustain life, but I have been on a roll lately. STIGMA, BONNIE'S KIDS, TEENAGE HITCHHIKERS--what a month! Hang in there and pursue whatever does interest you right now. Chances are you'll get the movie bug again, and it will be beautiful.

Fred Anderson
07-09-2010, 05:41 AM
Maybe I started the last threat too? I don't remember, but this seem to happen now and then, but the feeling have been more powerful now. Like it's hard to shake off.

But like I wrote, I'm not suffering. It's just a weird feeling...

Do you experience often that you really fucking want a movie... and you wait, maybe pre-order, maybe trying to find the best price, the fastest delivery... and when it arrives the interest is gone? It's like a big anti-climax! That's shit when it happens.

But sometimes movies can be like a good wine, it's better to let them rest for a while, and maybe six months later they feel perfect and suddenly becomes interesting again.

Benjamin C
07-09-2010, 05:53 AM
Do you experience often that you really fucking want a movie... and you wait, maybe pre-order, maybe trying to find the best price, the fastest delivery... and when it arrives the interest is gone? It's like a big anti-climax! That's shit when it happens.

But sometimes movies can be like a good wine, it's better to let them rest for a while, and maybe six months later they feel perfect and suddenly becomes interesting again.

Haha, i have that all the time, Fred. I read about a particular movie, people start hyping it and in the end i feel more excited about being able to pre-order it and owning it then really watching it.

I still have brand new sealed DVD's/blu ray's lyring around which need to be watched. But instead i'll watch, for example, "Day of the Dead" for like the 40th time. Stupid when you have so much stuff lying around which needs to be watched. But who cares? I watch movie for my own enjoyment, not to be hip or to up to date with the current trends.

But like you say, when you do watch the movie a few months down the line you sometimes are even more excited about it. For me the hype around movies mostly kills the desire to see it. So i buy stuff all the time but watch it 6 months later so.

Fred Anderson
07-09-2010, 06:12 AM
Haha, you have Day of the Dead as a guilty-movie to watch instead of the new cool movie, in my case it's either Nightmare City or Resurrection with Christopher Lambert. They just feel safe, you know what you'll get.

Hm, I would count Zodiac and Memories of Murder too. Movies I rather watch than the latest limited edition hyped post-apocalyptic giallo that falls down on my doorstep :)

Paul A J Lewis
07-09-2010, 06:15 AM
I've noticed that feeling more during the last ten years or so, largely due to being 'spoiled' by the DVD format (in terms of films that were previously all but impossible to track down being released on DVD) and the convenience of Internet buying (and downloading of non-commercially available films via torrents, etc) making me more accustomed to the 'quick fix'. I have DVDs of films I've waited years to see, and in the days prior to DVD may never have had the chance to see, that sit unopened in my film/television room. (However, part of that is due to the fact that I like to watch such films in the best possible circumstances, with no interruptions - and as I get older it gets harder to find a few hours that I can dedicate to nothing more than watching a rare European horror film, etc.)

In the days of scouring second hand video shops and cheap mail order catalogues filled with listings of bootlegs, I didn't find the experience as much of an 'anti-climax'; in fact, the difficulty of the hunt for certain titles probably fu
elled my interest. But then, I was much younger then and had far less 'real life' distractions, and the distance of age probably plays a big part in the changing nature of my relationship with my hobby.

Jocke_A
07-09-2010, 06:17 AM
I felt the exact same the other day while watching Teruo Ishiis Blind womans curse... one part of my mind was telling me what a great movie this was, while the other part of me was so bored that the movie felt like it took three hours to finish.

On the other hand, watching Feast 3 before it just might have killed off any wants of watching movies, forever.

Fred Anderson
07-09-2010, 06:30 AM
Jocke, I've experienced it many times recently. For example the Belmondo-flick Fear over the City. Brilliant action, great actors, cool story - a eurocrime masterpiece. But it took me hours to get thru! I still recommend it though :)

Robin Bougie
07-09-2010, 07:30 AM
Fred, I think what you're talking about is totally natural, and it is really one of the reasons you need more than one passion in life. I go through phases... where my various passions and collections come in an out of priority in my mind. One month all I care about is comics, the history of comics, drawing comics, everything to do with comics. Another month all I want to do is read film-related books and blogs -- not watch movies, but just read about them. Other times I can go a whole week where all I want to do with my free time is ride my BMX bike around town any chance I can get.

What you DON'T want to do is let your hobbies and your passions become like a chore. A job you have to do.

Dominic D
07-09-2010, 09:01 AM
I'm feeling a bit this way myself. Just going through a very long dry spell in which I don't seem to be able to find a single masterpiece. Over the last nine months or so I've seen lots of poor movies, a few good ones, a few very good ones but it's been a while since I saw anything that got me excited about film all over again.

In the past I always periodically come across a new filmmaker or an individual film that got me fired up and loving movies. I remember the excitement of the first Argento I watched, the first Leone, the first Bogart, the first Lone Wolf And Cub. Each of those first experiences led to me weeks of excitedly tracking down films and watching masterpiece after masterpiece. Haven't had that feeling in a while. Sometimes I worry I won't get it again.

Mind you last time I was seriously feeling this way I sat down to a double bill of La Avventura and La Grande Bouffe and once again I was set with great films to track down for the next few months so who knows... Could sure do with a lead on one right now though.

Daniel S.S.
07-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Generally speaking I have the same experience everyone else has mentioned. Comics is a big one in that I'll go through a phase of reading in bed every night for a while and then not touching one for months.

The thing about DVDs is I need to set aside a block of at least 90 minutes (I'm not big on watching movies bits at a time) and that is less and less manageable these days. In that respect it's hard for me to get tired of movies because it's a constant battle just to sit down and watch one.

I had thought of starting a thread asking everyone to list the movies they've re-watched before getting to their unwatched collection. Slaughter Hotel, The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave, Planet of the Apes would be a couple of examples for me.

Then of course there's the phenonenon of forgetting what you have. I was looking for a particular DVD the other day and as I was rummaging through my collection I was saying "holy crap I forgot I had that" a lot, which speaks to the point of getting excited about a release, obtaining it, and then letting it sit for months if not years. Maybe a case of the journey being more fun than the destination?

Luis Domenech
07-09-2010, 09:47 AM
I've had a kind of strange thing happen to me in recent times, an issue which is effectively preventing me from enjoying movies. I've become too pre-occupied with the filmmaking process, I guess from watching a lot of making-of type of stuff, to the point where I can't watch a movie without picturing the actors auditioning for their roles, the director setting up shots, makeup people hovering over extras, etc. It's a kind of "film self-consciousness" going on in my mind that distracts from the experience of watching movies. Kind of hard to describe, too, like I know movies are fake but the fakeness is sort of amplified - I know people are on a set (as opposed to on location), I know people are acting (they're not really being eaten by zombies, its just guys with tattered clothing and marmalade on their faces pretending to be hungry enough to want to eat a person). Is this crazy or what?

Daniel S.S.
07-09-2010, 09:54 AM
I've had a kind of strange thing happen to me in recent times, an issue which is effectively preventing me from enjoying movies. I've become too pre-occupied with the filmmaking process, I guess from watching a lot of making-of type of stuff, to the point where I can't watch a movie without picturing the actors auditioning for their roles, the director setting up shots, makeup people hovering over extras, etc. It's a kind of "film self-consciousness" going on in my mind that distracts from the experience of watching movies. Kind of hard to describe, too, like I know movies are fake but the fakeness is sort of amplified - I know people are on a set (as opposed to on location), I know people are acting (they're not really being eaten by zombies, its just guys with tattered clothing and marmalade on their faces pretending to be hungry enough to want to eat a person). Is this crazy or what?

This is why I'm not a huge fan of "making of" docs. I always thought it detracted from a film's effectiveness. If you're shown how a particular special effect is done, then every time you see it, you'll remember those images instead of focusing on the context of the story. Even going as far back as Psycho, who doesn't think of choclolate syrup during the shower scene? Now instead of being unnerved by the Janet Leigh's death you're thinking, "man, I could go for an ice cream sundae right about now." Okay maybe that's stretching it a bit but still...

Fred Anderson
07-09-2010, 10:46 AM
I never had problems with the making of's, and since I was a kid I've always been very aware of that everything is fake, it's actors, effects and so on. It can't just distract me from the story/movie.

But I know what you mean. I've heard others mention this, and I guess it can be a problem.

Fred Anderson
07-09-2010, 10:55 AM
I had thought of starting a thread asking everyone to list the movies they've re-watched before getting to their unwatched collection. Slaughter Hotel, The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave, Planet of the Apes would be a couple of examples for me.

Sorry, I just started one! :o

Joel S.
07-09-2010, 11:01 AM
exercise for a little while. you'll be back to movies soon enough.

Gary Banks
07-09-2010, 11:31 AM
I don't have a problem watching them as I've viewed over 400 movies this year. But sitting down and writing a short review for my Movie Mayhem thread has become a chore which is why new posts are few and far between. It seems as if I've lost the urge to write about them for the time being. For example I really wanted to write a bit about Wrong Turn 2 (which I loved) and Wrong Turn 3 (okay until the horseshit coda) but it has been almost two months now and it just isn't happening. :eek:

We have a lot of demands on our time dealing with elderly parents and their health issues and daily affairs plus our own household and issues. So I just want to pop a movie or three in, watch them and view them strictly as entertainment and not with a critical eye.

Guess the only other problem I have is deciding which movie to watch. I have about 20 factory dvds unwatched on the shelf and probably a dozen dvd-rs in the same boat.

Paul Francis
07-09-2010, 12:25 PM
I can't help but think of an old Motorhead tune 'The Chase is Better Than The Catch'. That's the way it is sometimes with collecting movies for me.

Scouring bargain bins, tracking down that hard to get foreign film online,trips to Chinatown etc. By the time I get the movie, actually watching it can be a little anti-climatic.

John W.
07-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Funny, just this morning I emailed my friend about being burnt out on movies. Not completely, but every Friday and Saturday night we've been watching movies projected on a big screen in my backyard. Into our 3rd year doing this and I'm thinking, I should do something else with my Friday and Saturday nights -- it's getting old. I feel like making something or being more creative than just sitting there watching stuff.

Also, there was a time when I was keeping a list of movies watched and rating them 1-4 stars. But it got too annoying because I'd be distracted thinking of a rating or review while I was watching the film. I stopped doing this and enjoy watching them more without that in the back of my mind. But I also get distracted thinking of how shots are set up, where the lighting is coming from, etc.

One thing that has helped is diving into a different genre now and then, Mexican comedies, or focusing on a certain director. And changing focus on something else completely as someone else said.

Ryan T.
07-15-2010, 10:15 PM
I've been feeling this way for the past 3 or 4 months. Movies just aren't tickling my fancy like they used to. Instead I've been drawing, listening to a lot of music, and going on mind journeys.

Troy Howarth
07-15-2010, 10:16 PM
Fortunately (?) this has never been the case for me. Film is my major passion, though I also have time for friends and family. Real life sometimes takes precedence, but I've never lost any enthusiasm for my beloved films.

Olexei Tolchev
07-15-2010, 10:25 PM
I've seen a handful of movies, mostly going wif my roommate to see the newest bit of nonsense (Twilight, Iron Man 2, etc). Got a pile of movies to watch and it seems almost like a chore to go through 'em now.

Perhaps I've become an adult.

Howard Farmer
07-16-2010, 06:22 PM
It only happens to me when I get overtired by life's B.S. I lose my patience when I'm too tired and don't want to sit still for 2 hours while I have stuff to deal with. :)

Steve R
07-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Totally agree with you, Troy. My love of film has been consistent my whole life. Music and martial arts, too. Sure you have to balance with real lfe, but I'd go so far as saying that having a few strong passions helps you balance your life. Life changes, the passion changes but it remains.

Troy Howarth
07-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Music has never appealed to me so much - hell, much of what I listen to is in the film soundtrack vein! Literature runs a distant second - but for me, film is a vital part of my life. As Bela Lugosi so memorably intoned in The Raven, "It's more... than a hobby!"

Jonathan D. Cox
07-16-2010, 09:30 PM
I have been suffering movie malaise as of late. I have been cherry picking only the most unique and special films to view. Unfortunately I have been viewing these films in bits and pieces as of late unable to focus for the entirety of the picture. I recently watched THE PROFOUND DESIRES OF THE GODS on blu in 4 sessions seriously blunting the experience of this truly one of kind viewing experience. Sigh...

Lars Andersen
07-17-2010, 05:46 AM
Just take a break, it happens to me from time to time.

Raleigh B
07-19-2010, 11:10 PM
It happens from time to time with me as well, although thankfully I happen to have other passions including creating some music on my computer (playing Guitars and Keyboards), listening to Music, reading up a storm with books on all kind of subjects, and taking bike rides. After some time away, it's back to the film fun sparked around the Mid-80's. Sometimes I stock-pile discs and tapes just for those times when the bug strikes me once more, and it usually is rewarding as I tend to buy the more harder to find releases and stay away from the well-known titles (although I catch a few from time to time). Oddly enough, I don't do the NetFlix or Download thing (Yet), which is possibly a big reason why my love is still running strong - dating back to when I was buying tapes when the stores were closing down, as it's a far better feeling when it's all for keeps so that things are not on a true sensory overload ready for a quick meltdown of interest.

RichardDoyle
07-20-2010, 06:03 PM
I don't get sick of watching movies, but I tend to overly plan what I'm going to watch and sometimes get sick of watching what I'm "supposed" to be watching. I have to remind myself at those times that I'm the one who came up with the plan and I can break it any time I want.

Jonathan Douglas
07-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Been watching the old Tintin cartoons again lately, never tire of those and they're helpful on the odd nights when nothing else playable really inspires or beckons its welcome, the classic "Lake of Sharks" (1972) was the last one seen.

http://www.comicbookdaily.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/TintinCast.gif

RichardDoyle
07-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Been watching the old Tintin cartoons again lately, never tire of those and they're helpful on the odd nights when nothing else playable really inspires or beckons its welcome, the classic "Lake of Sharks" (1972) was the last one seen.

http://www.comicbookdaily.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/TintinCast.gif

I recently re-bought all of the books. My mother moved out of the house I grew up in a few years ago, and when she ran across these books, she gave them away to a kid in the neighborhood. Since I hadn't looked at them in 25 years, I could hardly get mad about it, but it reminded me of just how much I'd like to read them again.

Jonathan Douglas
07-21-2010, 06:38 PM
They're great timeless stories the Congo racism issue aside, and the cartoons are actually quite faithful though obviously unable to touch or have every little brilliant detail of the comic books. Btw, Herge' based in part the character of Tintin on Danish actor Palle Huld (below) who's still alive at 98, back as a youngster made headlines when he trotted the globe on his own.

http://www.adventurersclub.dk/forum/images/avatars/ca7b94368decabdc6f97bdf629867638.jpg

Werner Von Wallenrod
07-21-2010, 10:54 PM
Oops! I just made a thread kinda similar to this... but I feel differently. When I find a really good movie, I still dig it as much as ever.
I'm just having trouble finding new really good movies.

Mark Savage
07-24-2010, 02:19 AM
Great topic, Fred.

I'm totally with you.

i go thru periods where i don't give a shit. Sometimes I see ten piles of shit in a row and I despair.

I, too, write a blog post about some, but sometimes I can't even do that.

I just look at the dvd's and BluRays I have and say THAT'S ENOUGH

I have to walk away sometimes.

When something fresh and enjoyable comes along, I'm revived.

When I was seeing 4 HK films a week (at theatres) from '85 to '94, I totally lost interest for a couple of years.

I caught up, of course, but, as usual, i went over the top and stomped my passion to death (for a while)

Toby T.
07-29-2010, 05:57 PM
I get these periods from time to time. Right now, though, I fucking love movies again and is buying stuff like crazy, haha. I almost have to stop myself soon. Ive got 45 movies on top of my tv right now and probably ten more on the way in the mail.