PDA

View Full Version : BROOKLYN'S FINEST - OAR issue with the Canadian DVD

Matt Hamer
07-01-2010, 02:10 PM
I just picked up the DVD for Brooklyn's Finest, which is being distributed by the Canadian company VVS Films, and the aspect ratio is 1:78:1. Everywhere else I've investigated (including reviews of the US DVD) states a ratio of 2:35:1. What the hell is going on?! I have no idea how a fairly high-profile film like this can receive a wide home video release in a severely cropped edition. This is fucking ridiculous. Basically, everybody who sees this film on DVD in Canada is watching a compromised version. Stupid, and irritating. I'm going back to the video store to see what's up with the VVS Blu-ray edition.

John K
07-03-2010, 02:43 PM
They've been doing this with a lot of films lately...it's the new pan-and-scan, but sort of different (i.e., I think without the panning or the scanning). I think the director's shooting with a Scope theatrical and 1.78:1 home video ratio in mind, and they're just opening things up on the top and bottom. You can do that by shooting Super 35, or, I'd imagine, on video.

At least, that was what people determined when this same thing happened with the LORD OF WAR DVD; and I know it's happened on other things too, since. Obviously, from an artistic perspective I think most of us would agree it's not optimal, since the filmmaker is no longer composing for *one* specific frame; however, it's a better commercial concession than chopping off part of an extant image, I'd say.

Vincent Pereira
07-10-2010, 12:17 PM
The problem is these films are rarely straight open-matte jobs. There's usually some reframing/cropping being done on a shot-by-shot basis. Plus, I believe a small portion of BROOKLYN'S FINEST was shot anamorphically, so those shots are definitely cropped.

Vincent