PDA

View Full Version : Culling your DVD collection....

Richard C
06-30-2010, 08:24 AM
Now with Blu-Ray working it's way into way into my buying habits (although it's nowhere near to the levels my DVD buying back in the day) I'm considering culling my DVD collection. Anyone else thinking about selling off DVDs or will you be keeping both? Some titles I know I'll never watch again but I hang on to them just in case I befriended someone with a taste in cult cinema (unfortunately that hasn't happened yet...) or perhaps even more implausible actually enter a relationship with a girl with a similar taste...

So are people here ruthless and are purging their collections or hoarding everything regardless of BD releases or otherwise?

Robin Bougie
06-30-2010, 08:34 AM
No need for a cull for me, since I'm not a hoarder or a completist. Every few months or so I always look around and get rid of half a dozen or so discs that I know I'll never watch again. I either trade them in, or give them away to people I know who will like them.

Mostly I learned my lesson with VHS: Don't wait until everything is totally worthless. Get rid of them when they still have value to someone, or years from now you'll find yourself loading up garbage bags of dvds to take to the thrift store/dump.

*Of course I'm referring to the common titles that everyone has. Not obscure rarities, limited editions, etc.

Paul A J Lewis
06-30-2010, 09:30 AM
Now with Blu-Ray working it's way into way into my buying habits (although it's nowhere near to the levels my DVD buying back in the day) I'm considering culling my DVD collection. Anyone else thinking about selling off DVDs or will you be keeping both? Some titles I know I'll never watch again but I hang on to them just in case I befriended someone with a taste in cult cinema (unfortunately that hasn't happened yet...) or perhaps even more implausible actually enter a relationship with a girl with a similar taste...

So are people here ruthless and are purging their collections or hoarding everything regardless of BD releases or otherwise?
Nah, I don't cull my DVDs, Richard. I occasionally have a 'prune' though, which often results in me passing DVDs, of films that I have multiple copies of, on to friends who might want them. I've never had a mass clear-out since the days of VHS though.

Jason Lee
06-30-2010, 09:56 AM
not so long ago I had an impressive collection of more than 1000 DVDs /DVDrs (90% of which were imports).....

One day I just kinda looked at them and thought."What the **** am I doing?"....

There were many that I had seen and I would not watch again...

There were many that I would probably NEVER see (and wonder why I bought them)..

So in the end I didi a MASSIVE cull (I have about 50 left now)...trashed a LOT..gave away others...sold others that were worth something....

I agree with Robin, get riid while you can..I was also caught by hoarding VHS.....I just realised they were a bit of a weight on my shoulders...and my time would be spent doing somethign more productive than watching movies I didint really wasnt to...

John G.
06-30-2010, 10:11 AM
Yes, I constantly "purge" my DVD collection in a feeble attempt to keep it lean and essential - and I still find it bloated and too large for its own good. I'm only a "completist" for a small handful of filmmakers - space is simply too limited to hold onto films I'll only watch once or twice in my lifetime. With the advent of Netflix and online downloads, I simply cannot justify such a large and unwieldy collection. After selling off or getting rid of a bunch of titles (usually half a dozen at a time) I feel as though a "burden" were being lifted off of me.

EDIT: It's about time for another "pruning". :)

James Flower
06-30-2010, 10:21 AM
I could really do with having a "prune", but I'm a hoarder at heart, so always waver and put it off. I'm moving house again in a couple of months, and the ever-growing DVD collection (which at the moment is mostly stacked in banana boxes and is taking up half of my dad's dining room) is slowly becoming more of a pain in the arse to transport around.

One option I've been considering is copying the more inessential ones to a harddrive in preparation of whenever I start to invest in a HTPC set-up. But, again, that requires money I don't really have at the moment...

Luis Domenech
06-30-2010, 11:23 AM
I hope I never get to a point where I would think of my DVD collection as worthless but the more Blu-rays I watch the less I'm inclined to revisit the SD stuff I have. I don't doubt that there will come a time when most people will treat a DVD the same way they do VHS today. I say this because its becoming harder and harder to get people to pay me for a DVD I'm trying to get rid of. When will it get so bad that people won't even want them for free?

Richard Owen
06-30-2010, 11:31 AM
perhaps even more implausible actually enter a relationship with a girl with a similar taste...

Just do what I did. Find someone of a younger, more impressionable age and mould them.

Dick Ringeisen
06-30-2010, 12:49 PM
I've culled a bit in the past, but not so much anymore. The reason being that the cost I paid for certain titles, I will not get anywhere near that cost in return. That is unless the DVD is OOP, or for some reason still retained it's value.

What I have done, is moved the majority of my thousands of DVD's into binders. The footprint is much more manageable now. My plan, is that in... I guess, 4-7 years from now, I can start buying 50+TB hard drives for a decent price. Then, over time, rip all of my DVD's to the hard drive, and then I can trash some or all of the DVD's if I decide to do so.

It would make things much easier. I love the ease of simply searching for a movie I have, seeing it in search result, then playing it. Using the TV as another monitor.

I recently bought a 2tb drive for storage (I had to replace a one of my 1tb drives because my storage drives were becoming full), and when I did the math (for fun), figuring each of my DVD's average size was 5.5 Gb, It would take far too many of those 2tb drives to transfer all my DVD's over.

So, taking a round number, like 1,000 DVD's * 5.5, that is 5,500 Gb, or 5.5 Tb.

---------

I'd say, if you don't mind taking a loss, sell them now while you can. I am selling 2-3 Criterions I have because the price is still close to what I paid for them, and they are movies I'm not too interested in, except for one I'd rather watch in HD if it gets around to it.

I'm also more picky about what I buy, since I can't get the discounts i once could. Still, i plan on buying Videodrome Blu-ray, Maniac blu-ray, and I have the WB Film Noir collection 5 on the way to me when it is released.

Gary Banks
06-30-2010, 01:20 PM
I do it from time to time. But I have 8 large boxes of dvd-rs that at best can be gifts to friends as I may never watch many of them again.

There are a lot of dvds that I paid $3 to $5 aren't tradeable as no dealer would want them. Now it does seem like a good time to move a few out of here one way or another.

Steve R
06-30-2010, 01:33 PM
I still like the vast majority of them for the same reason I bought them in the first place.

The mistakes get culled. Blind buys that did not live up to expectation or the PC was so bad they got upgraded later. When I was first really into HK and Asian flicks buying was the only way to see them. Now that Netflix carries so many of them I can see the ones I just want to see and not have to purchase them.

Terry Carpenter
06-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Where the hell are your DVD's going guys? There certainly not going to me. :)

Erik F.
06-30-2010, 04:27 PM
I don't have nearly as many DVDs as some of you guys seem to have, only around six hundred, but the storage problem is already starting to get tiring. I imposed a rule when we bought two new IKEA Stockholm bookshelves (they're really big) a year or so back, that when the collection is so large that it doesn't fit in the shelves, I'm going to have to start getting rid of movies whenever I buy new ones. You know, having to keep the collection managable by trimming out the films aren't favorites, only keeping the absolute essential ones. Now I just cannot see that happening. I'm awfully close (maybe thirty DVDs) from completely filling these bookshelves, and yet it feels as if I'm only getting started. So I guess it's about time to go bookshelf shopping again! I am however selling a few films, the whole Hall of Shame section of the bookshelf (with shit I really didn't like or crappy editions) and a few titles I have upgraded to Bluray. Another thing I promised myself, in the early days of Bluray shopping, was to not double dip on movies I already had on DVD. That's another promise I've broken many times.

Richard C
07-01-2010, 08:01 AM
The crazy thing is that even though I'm no longer buying DVDs new I've developed a habit of buying stuff 2nd hand instead.... Admittedly most of the titles I pick up I know I can sell on for a profit (there's a streak of evil capitalist in me :P ) but a lot of them just gather dust. For example I just bought 2nd hand the complete series of MAN ABOUT THE HOUSE and RISING DAMP just because both were in good nick and I could sell on. That was a few months ago and they are still sitting in a pile of TO SELL stuff..... madness!

Think I need to have a got sort out and may even put some up to sell/trade on here....

Joel S.
07-01-2010, 08:20 AM
I imposed a rule when we bought two new IKEA Stockholm bookshelves (they're really big) a year or so back, that when the collection is so large that it doesn't fit in the shelves, I'm going to have to start getting rid of movies whenever I buy new ones.

yeah , I thought I was going to follow the same rule myself but it never happened. I'm up to close to 1500 , which is crazy for me. You make room. I sold a bunch of books , brought a stack into my bathroom , now I have a Shaw Brothers shelf on my bookshelf across from the rest of my DVDs. And a big stack of DVDs in my paperback collection too. Soon they'll be hanging from the ceiling.

Wayne Schmidt
07-01-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm getting ready to move again, no doubt into MUCH smaller quarters. So my collection is going to get seriously culled. These fuckers are heavy, box after box, and like books and cds I start to resent the amount of maintenance it takes looking after the ones I never access. I can either burn a dvd-r or rip it to hard drive for the ones that are marginal.

It is painful to see the pennies many of them have devolved to, value-wise.

Joel S.
07-01-2010, 03:50 PM
These fuckers are heavy, box after box,

no way! DVDs are mostly air ! Try moving 4 - 5 thousand LPs. I could move my DVD collection any day of the week after that.

David Lopez
07-01-2010, 05:54 PM
While I usually give the original releases of DVDs to family/friends once the discs have undergone an "upgrade" and I've replaced them, I can't really see myself culling too much from my collection. I have a DVD library that hovers around the 400+ mark, but I'm an extremely picky buyer, so I've pretty much already decided that if I buy a disc it's something that I really want, and therefore want to keep.

As for the Blu-Ray issue...while I can discern a noticable difference in picture quality, it isn't enough to justify the immense cost of replacing my entire library and ditching DVD in favor of a newer format. I've been pretty particular about the Blu-Rays I've purchased thus far, and will continue to do so, with only certain movies making the cut.

Wayne Schmidt
07-01-2010, 06:20 PM
no way! DVDs are mostly air ! Try moving 4 - 5 thousand LPs. I could move my DVD collection any day of the week after that.Very true! I still have about six crates of those, too. That's only a couple hundred, down from the almost 1000 I had years ago. Call me a pussy (actually, it's age) but I just slide those on a handtruck to move. Ain't worth throwing my back out over.

At least my laserdiscs are almost completely gone. Those were as bad as LPs, maybe worse.

Joel S.
07-01-2010, 07:44 PM
yeah .. those old laserdiscs in the plastic cases are insanely heavy. a friend of mine wanted to give me a bunch once but i wasn't into dragging 50 lbs of laserdiscs on the subway in a trashbag

Dick Ringeisen
07-01-2010, 07:53 PM
I'm getting ready to move again, no doubt into MUCH smaller quarters. So my collection is going to get seriously culled. These fuckers are heavy, box after box, and like books and cds I start to resent the amount of maintenance it takes looking after the ones I never access. I can either burn a dvd-r or rip it to hard drive for the ones that are marginal.

It is painful to see the pennies many of them have devolved to, value-wise.

If you don't want "Pennies" for some DVD's, and would rather keep them, look into at least a single binder. You can always save the DVD art and notes, and toss the plastic. DVDs alone weigh a bit, when you add them, however i'm guessing the plastic case adds to about half the weight.

Still, i'm looking forward to a 50Tb hard drive, in the $200 or so range. I'd eventually copy over all my DVD's onto it, and then purchase another 50Tb drive, and create a back-up of that drive to store in a safe on and/or off-site.

The footprint of my DVD collection is pretty small for it's size, due to binders and boxes (paper and tyvek sleeves), but it does make me a bit excited to think one day soon I can cram it all into a single hard-drive, without any loss in the DVD-quality, and have instant access. Being able to literally hold it all in one hand...

Reminds me of a few people who have (and had...) huge CD collections, and could only fit so much into a CD carousel, just got tired of always changing the CD, or only ripping certain ones to their PC for shuffling and such, or jsut wanted their music collection to be easier to transport and consume less space, who then later decided to just rip their CD collection to high-quality MP3, and then output that PC to their stereo.

Gary Banks
07-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Reminds me of a few people who have (and had...) huge CD collections, and could only fit so much into a CD carousel, just got tired of always changing the CD, or only ripping certain ones to their PC for shuffling and such, or jsut wanted their music collection to be easier to transport and consume less space, who then later decided to just rip their CD collection to high-quality MP3, and then output that PC to their stereo..

I never thought I could live without a stereo in the house. Now it just takes up space.

Joel S.
07-02-2010, 12:02 PM
eh, my roomate has fallen into that trap .. now all he listens to is Pandora radio (which means either Led zeplin, Tull, Yes , or Genesis , all of whom I'm fucking sick of) or classical radio. I say dig up an album and put it on. I can't get with the spoon feeding of music - no matter how passive your listening. At least select some songs you like on an mp3 player and switch them out at your own leisure

Steve R
07-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Agreed. Nothing is heavier than a milkcrate full of LPs, unless you're stupid enough to try to pick up two at once. :eek:

Dick Ringeisen
07-02-2010, 01:27 PM
I never thought I could live without a stereo in the house. Now it just takes up space.

Different stroke, for different folks. Just as some prefer lap-tops for all/majority of their computing needs, due to the easy portability and small footprint.

It all depends on what one wants to dedicate their space to, and how often that person relocates. Toting around tons of shit may be fun for some people, but not others.

Currently my DVDs are in a limbo area of binders and media file-boxes. I would consider trashing all my DVD's if I could transfer them all to a single hard drive. The thought of having all my DVD's in a single 50Tb hard drive is awesome. Not having to dig out a specific DVD from a binder, just going to a certain folder on the hard drive, or searching for it, finding the file, and telling it to play.

But yeah, speaking of stereos, I wish I could put my external amp someplace else other than the floor. It's too massive for the A/V rack, or to hide it behind there. Still, I have it somewhat out of the way.

Steve R
07-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Just me, but I love the look of nice audiophile equipment.
I can get lost just gazing at rows of DVDs, CDs and books on a
shelf. Bookcases lined up like that have such a magical presence
to me. One of my favorite views in my house.

Luis Domenech
07-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Just me, but I love the look of nice audiophile equipment.
I can get lost just gazing at rows of DVDs, CDs and books on a
shelf. Bookcases lined up like that have such a magical presence
to me. One of my favorite views in my house.

Same here! You'll never catch me "streamlining" my collection into some iPod-type of file system to be retrieved like you do for computers, no sirree. Nothing replaces the thrill of deciding what to watch by poring over boxes of movies. I can find something to watch just by looking at artwork or reading a synopsis. Storage problem? Nah - you just have to figure someday you'll hit the lotto and buy a bigger house. You'll be sorry you got rid of all your original packaging then!

Jon Houghton
07-02-2010, 04:00 PM
the only time I have ever "slimmed down" my collection was when I was unemployed for over a year and it was either get rid of some dvds and cds or be living on the street with all that stuff. But after I was legally, and gainfully employed again, I bought back just about everything I had gotten rid of.

Dick Ringeisen
07-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Same here! You'll never catch me "streamlining" my collection into some iPod-type of file system to be retrieved like you do for computers, no sirree. Nothing replaces the thrill of deciding what to watch by poring over boxes of movies. I can find something to watch just by looking at artwork or reading a synopsis. Storage problem? Nah - you just have to figure someday you'll hit the lotto and buy a bigger house. You'll be sorry you got rid of all your original packaging then!

I still have all my DVDs artwork and liner notes. For many of my titles, all I have to do is grab a book with the artwork, open it, and flip through the pages (For the most part, alphabetical). In a way, it's nicer than scanning over a shelf of only DVD spines, because I can see the DVD artwork in it's entirety; Rear description, spine, Front cover. Almost like viewing movie posters, or video stores that would stack the tapes with the cover forward facing.

Special packaging, I have boxes of that. Cardboard sleeves, special plastic cases, etc.

Also, I have 6,000+ DVDs. :eek: Official stuff, I'm not talking about promo screeners, DVD-R VHS rips, etc. Official releases, from many regions, PAL and NTSC. The amount of space that consumed, was a bit insane, same goes for that number of DVDs, that's a bit insane also... Anyway, I like the idea of DVD binders, because it is easier to transport up to 400 DVD's at a time, all I have to do is grab 2 binders.

But, it's a temporary solution until the larger Hard drives are available.

If I wanted to transport all of it, a 50Tb drive would do it. I always leave 10% free on all the hard drives I operate, so 43Tb would be mroe than enough space.

While in some ways I don't like certain new technologies, they do have their perks. Most times, I would rather read an actual book. However, a big benefit of PDF, e-books, etc, is the super easy way to search for something. Fuck the index, that doesn't cover everything. Many times I'd rather search for the word, and there it is, every single time that word appears in the document. Fuck yeah.

Wayne Schmidt
07-02-2010, 05:45 PM
eh, my roomate has fallen into that trap .. now all he listens to is Pandora radio (which means either Led zeplin, Tull, Yes , or Genesis , all of whom I'm fucking sick of) or classical radio. I say dig up an album and put it on. I can't get with the spoon feeding of music - no matter how passive your listening. At least select some songs you like on an mp3 player and switch them out at your own leisureSince you can program Pandora to some degree, that just means he's a bit lazy when plugging in suggestions. Instead of Genesis, add Steve Hackett, Peter Gabriel, Van Der Graaf Generator and a few others and it'll come up with some interesting choices (and some bad ones, for sure). I've discovered some artists (and especially classical) that I've loved through it. I'd also listen to Pandora any day of the week over "classic rock" FM radio, which makes me nauseous.

But in general, yeah, I just program albums from my own library.

RichardDoyle
07-04-2010, 12:29 PM
I used to cull quite a bit when we lived in apartments, and I did a major culling the last time we moved.

Now I have two spare rooms and a basement, so I don't think I'll be cutting down for quite a while.

John K
07-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Mostly I don't cull as much as simply get rid of things if, after watching them, I don't like them. Every once in a while I realize I've made a mistake, but by and large I find I'm generally right about never wanting to see something again, and it keeps things from getting massively out of hand. Besides, for some reason I don't consider a DVD "Watched" unless I've watched absolutely everything I want to, and so the piles of stuff I have that's still "unwatched" (commentaries, featurettes, whatever) gives me panic attacks. It's kind of a quicker way to get through stuff this way. If I don't care for the movie, why watch the special features?

Every once in a while, though, it will occur to me that I have a few things that I just can't ever imagine watching again, so I'll pull them out and throw them in the sale pile as well. Others that I haven't seen in a long time I will rewatch the check my judgment. Sometimes I find a gem (how the hell didn't I think PERFECT BLUE was awesome on my first go-round?), often I realize my gut instinct was right.

So yeah, I don't really do massive culls, mostly I just discard as I watch. I know a lot of the stuff I have I will probably never watch again, but it's nice to have around in case I want to, and I get the increasing sense a lot of it will be out of print pretty soon. You never know when the urge is going to come up again, anyway (usually when something's mentioned in a reference book), so as long as I generally like a movie and already own it, I don't terribly mind having it around. Though it is getting tougher to find space...

I would never dump stuff onto a hard drive, though, or put the disks in folders. Seems to me the point of the collection is to have it displayed, and have it accompanied by its cover art. And clicking a VOB file just doesn't seem the same as watching a DVD, though. But of course, it's a matter of preference, and I don't begrudge anyone doing it differently.

Bill Piper
07-05-2010, 04:15 PM
I sell some DVDs from my collection once in awhile, but I have too many movies that I want in my "film library", a lot of which won't be released on BLU for a long time, if ever. And there are quite a few movies I want on both format. On some titles, I'll put the DVD in the blu case (if it's one of those cases that will hold two discs, usually a digital copy disc that gets thrown away after I transfer that version to my PC). I need to find an online dealer that sells dual disc blu ray cases, then I'd be able to do this to a lot more of my titles.

Bob Andrews
07-18-2010, 10:32 AM
I would never dump stuff onto a hard drive, though, or put the disks in folders. Seems to me the point of the collection is to have it displayed, and have it accompanied by its cover art. And clicking a VOB file just doesn't seem the same as watching a DVD, though. But of course, it's a matter of preference, and I don't begrudge anyone doing it differently.

Very well put, John :)

I gotta see what I've got! :D About selling DVDs... as I won't get the money back I spent on those discs I don't need to own anymore I just keep them. This won't solve the space problem but what can you do...

And there still is hope... like John has stated it... maybe someday you won't just get some titles as they are oop (mostly because dvd format has died and the title hasn't made its way to HD) and get some money back.

John K
07-18-2010, 02:55 PM
And there still is hope... like John has stated it... maybe someday you won't just get some titles as they are oop (mostly because dvd format has died and the title hasn't made its way to HD) and get some money back.

Yeah, I'm waiting for Used Renaissance 2. I see all these big-box and vintage tapes going for top dollar (what little still hasn't come out on DVD yet), and I sort of look at my current DVD collection as an investment for the future. DVD will probably be supplanted effectively within the next 10 or so years, and a lot of these titles will be unavailable. At the moment, given the choice between getting $3-5 for them (if I'm lucky) and keeping them, I'll keep most of them. But if that value went up to $30-50, there would definitely be a lot more disks I'd be willing to part with... :D

Richard C
07-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Yeah, I'm waiting for Used Renaissance 2. I see all these big-box and vintage tapes going for top dollar (what little still hasn't come out on DVD yet), and I sort of look at my current DVD collection as an investment for the future. DVD will probably be supplanted effectively within the next 10 or so years, and a lot of these titles will be unavailable. At the moment, given the choice between getting $3-5 for them (if I'm lucky) and keeping them, I'll keep most of them. But if that value went up to $30-50, there would definitely be a lot more disks I'd be willing to part with... :D
Given the pension crisis here in the UK at the moment I'm hoping to retire off my DVD collection someday.... ;)