PDA

View Full Version : Book Sale Scanner Creeps

Steve R
03-13-2010, 11:17 AM
My local town library always this annual used book sale. Over the years its been a fabulous source of terrific finds, rare stuff and just plain fun. People donate for months.

I've noticed this really annoying pattern over the past couple years, but this time it was completley out of hand. These dealers come in and scan the bar codes with a pocket comp and they get an instant read out on what it goes for on Ebay and other sale sites. They paw through everything taking some of the good stuff that a cult, obscure fan really should have the fun of stumbling on, recognizing and buying. Even normal mystery series get scarfed up by these fiends.

It's bad enough getting elbowed aside by some savvy book expert but when a nerd with a pocket comp, with no actual in the head knowledge pushes you outta the way so they can make a buck... well the buck stops there. Wish I had one of those jamming devices.

When they can't get a signal, they rush outside with serval books, scan 'em and then either buy 'em or toss 'em on the nearest table.

Just ranting here folks. But damn. I'll all for technolgy but this time, Batman its fallen into the wrong hands for evil.

Gary Banks
03-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Shove a live snake up their ass the minute they produce a scanner.

Barry M.
03-13-2010, 03:57 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5HUBZP-3m90&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5HUBZP-3m90&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

If you jam the creeps, the terrorists win.

Aleck Bennett
03-13-2010, 04:18 PM
You gotta be careful with those scanners.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/scanners-headexplode.jpg

Steve R
03-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Aleck - Great!

Tim Mayer
03-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Wonderful. I see these people coming in all the time at the electronics place I work checking out the prices on their I-Phones. What's fun is when they try to tell me they can get a better price at Best Lies. I tell them to go there.

Ian F
03-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Wonderful. I see these people coming in all the time at the electronics place I work checking out the prices on their I-Phones. What's fun is when they try to tell me they can get a better price at Best Lies. I tell them to go there.

Hey, I do that all the time. I'm not paying more for something than I have to.

Phil B.
03-15-2010, 11:25 PM
What's fun is when they try to tell me they can get a better price at Best Lies. I tell them to go there.

It always amazed me when people would make comments like that. As if the people who worked the floor set the prices in the store or something.

Marshall Crist
03-16-2010, 02:38 AM
You might assume they do that because they are hoping to haggle the price down, but in fact they do it because they are abject cunts.

Fred C. Dobbs
03-16-2010, 03:05 AM
I once worked a used book/collectible records store and would go to sales and auctions with the owner. I couldn't believe some of the jazz record sales we went to where the collector/dealers turned into sharks during a feeding frenzy...elbowing, cursing, pushing...all sorts of fun. My favorites were the guys who would flip through the records with one hand while covering up about 4 feet of records in a row with the other so you couldn't look at them. Some folks are just in bad need of 5 across the eyes.

Phil B.
03-16-2010, 05:40 AM
Some folks are just in bad need of 5 across the eyes.

Bless you for that saying. Nowadays, good sayings are hard to come by.

Paul Casey
03-16-2010, 07:23 AM
Hey, I do that all the time. I'm not paying more for something than I have to.

You do the price compare or tell the guy that it's cheaper elsewhere? I can understand the price comparing, sure, but I've never understood telling an employee that has nothing to do with the price of merchandise. I worked at a liquor store and people would say, "Is $12.99 for this right? Curtis is selling this Kendall Jackson for $9.99." I'd say, "Ok." If someone's going to drive around to a few different stores to save $2 or $3 bucks, fuck 'em. It's your time and gas money, not mine.

mark t
03-16-2010, 08:00 AM
I do the price compare, but only once I've picked out what I'm buying, and because most stores the days have the price-match guarantee. But I bring that up at the cash, not to the folks walking around.

Ian F
03-16-2010, 09:37 AM
You do the price compare or tell the guy that it's cheaper elsewhere?
Just the price compare, unless I thought there was a chance that they'd match the price. I might mention it in passing if they asked me if I needed helped after I put something back because I found it cheaper or if the price I got was different at the counter and I was deciding not to make the purchase.

However, I'm not of the drive around for 20 extra minutes to save 3 bucks type of person or expect a store clerk to somehow change the price if there is no price match guarantee.

Shane K
03-16-2010, 09:37 AM
I loathe people that complain about pricing to employees.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AQGXa3FiXKM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AQGXa3FiXKM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>