PDA

View Full Version : "Ghouls, Gimmicks, and Gold" by Kevin Heffernan

Ian F
02-24-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm surprised by how obscure the book remains, it's not even expensive. I figured the TV package listings would be a huge plus for a lot of people.

It's a good mixture of commentary and original research. I'd go as far to say it's an essential text. It's one of the few texts that talk about AIP's international works (the production of Mario Bava's Black Sabbath), theater-exhibitor arrangements, 3D, the rise of TV, Hammer Films (and British financing laws), and more in the same text. It's one of the few books that really gets into the business of horror films and for that I'd say it's an important book for horror fans to keep on their bookshelves.

People who might interested can check out large sections of the text via google books.
http://books.google.com/books?id=plztfOxO1HoC&lpg=PP1&dq=Ghouls%20Gold%20Gimmicks&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Raleigh B
02-25-2010, 11:26 AM
As a fan of the book, I have to agree with you 100%.

Not only does it go into a great history of Horror in US Cinema in it's classic years, the listings of the many films that went to TV packages mention several titles that were not given a theatrical release which may be familiar to those who have quite a few budget DVDs in their collection (Something Weird Video fans will have a blast with those pages alone!).

Ian F
02-25-2010, 12:03 PM
As a fan of the book, I have to agree with you 100%.

Not only does it go into a great history of Horror in US Cinema in it's classic years, the listings of the many films that went to TV packages mention several titles that were not given a theatrical release which may be familiar to those who have quite a few budget DVDs in their collection (Something Weird Video fans will have a blast with those pages alone!).

Yeah, the listing of all the TV packages are really a great read. It's interesting to see some of the crazy titles that showed up. The Thrillers From Another World and Top Secret Adventures TV packages from AIP help explain how so many people saw all those Mexican Horror and Euro-Spy films in the US. The former I always assumed was simply cross border pollination. The later I had no clue played so often in the US. I mean the market makes sense, and that explains why Sinister Cinema and SWV always stocked so many of those titles.