PDA

View Full Version : Director's Cuts (Wallflower Press)

John G.
02-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Has anyone read any of these books about filmmakers? I stumbled upon them looking for a book on Kathryn Bigelow and I see that there are plenty of filmmakers covered in this series that would appeal to people on this forum; Cronenberg, Herzog, Polanski, Carpenter, Lynch and Romero etc.

Judging from the language on the books these look to be scholarly... right up my alley. :)

http://www.wallflowerpress.co.uk/category/directors-cuts

The DIRECTORS' CUTS series focuses on the work of many of the most significant contemporary international filmmakers, illuminating the creative dynamics of World Cinema. The series includes monographs as well as edited anthologies.

Many more are planned for 2009 and beyond, including titles on Guy Maddin, Aki Kaurismaki, Clint Eastwood, Takeshi Kitano, Michael Mann, the Dardennes brothers, Gus Van Sant, Eric Rohmer, Robert Altman, Istvan Szabo, Raul Ruiz, Michael Winterbottom, Wong Kar-Wai, Steven Soderbergh, Béla Tarr, Sidney Lumet, Catherine Breillat etc etc.

Aaron G
02-21-2010, 08:35 AM
They got some interesting names in their series. I used to dig these sort of books, but I prefer the FABPRESS kinda style of director books. I got the ABEL FERRAR one Brad Stevens did, it started off OK, but then got really repetitive.