PDA

View Full Version : What's good from Korea?

Lee O
03-12-2003, 12:52 AM
My Asian DVD collection has been slacking off since all i've been buying is Anime. But, i've been real happy with the last few Korean disc i bought. I've got "The Record", "Tell Me Something" and "Ring Virus". Next i plan on picking up "Memento mori". What else is pretty good from Korea? Thanks!

Andrew Bodsworth
03-12-2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Lee
My Asian DVD collection has been slacking off since all i've been buying is Anime

Nothing wrong with that :)

Originally posted by Lee
But, i've been real happy with the last few Korean disc i bought. I've got "The Record", "Tell Me Something" and "Ring Virus". Next i plan on picking up "Memento mori". What else is pretty good from Korea? Thanks!

Memento Mori isn't like any of the other films you mention. Think of it more as a drama with supernatural going-ons. The first film in the series (unrelated outside of the school setting) is called Whispering Corridors and is much better, but unavailable with subtitles.

You might want to check out A Nightmare, I like that one very much. And going by the films you've enjoyed I think it's a pretty safe bet. Just be sure to get the Korean DVD as the HK release is 4:3.

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/12309.html?id=Gr8VYmEU

There are more films out there, but I'll let the other guys chime in. Don't want to be a "recommendations hog" or anything :)

Jason Burchfield
03-12-2003, 09:05 AM
You may want to check out The Isle. I think you can get the DVD pretty cheap off Ebay but I saw it on the Sundance Channel.

Jared M
03-12-2003, 09:20 AM
i'd highly recomend MY WIFE IS A GANGSTER. don't bother with the two disc set unless you speak korean.

link (http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/search.yes/title.wife+is+a+gangster/qx/titles.htm)

Omshanti Green
03-12-2003, 01:21 PM
check dvdasian.com for background on these

1) Friend- Gangster drama about four friends and the different paths they choose
2) Musa- Excellent big budget historical film many many awsome battle footage this is one of the greatest films i have ever seen battle scenes are no joke
3) JSA-Exellent political thriller about north and south Korea
4) 2009 lost memories- Excellent futurestic piece about japanese take over of Asia in this picture America and japan formed and alliance during WW 2 the film then shows the future and a man who changes history very cool action, awsome picture
also
5)Shiri-great film

Ian Jane
03-12-2003, 01:36 PM
Definitely get the Isle, one of the best movies I've seen in a while.

Wow, that rhymed.

Jason Burchfield
03-12-2003, 06:01 PM
For God's sake....don't say hooked!

Andrew Monroe
03-12-2003, 07:48 PM
I`ll go along with Bill and fudoh,Phone is highly recommended.I still think Tell Me Something is the best Korean film I`ve seen.

Jason Burchfield
03-12-2003, 11:46 PM
I really didn't like Tell Me Something. The garbage bags were cool but I really didn't understand what the heck was going on most of the time and then the ending totally lost me. I know a lot of people seem to really like it so maybe I'm just a dumbass.

SpencerSmallwood
03-12-2003, 11:55 PM
IF YOU SEE ONE KOREAN MOVIE, FOR GOD SAKE MAN, SEE - ATTACK THE GAS STATION!

Andrew Bodsworth
03-12-2003, 11:59 PM
I'd like to throw in a rec for The Quiet Family, a terrific black comedy.

And should you see & like The Isle, consider checking out more of Kim Ki-duk's films, such as Bad Guy.

Andrew Bodsworth
03-13-2003, 12:21 AM
If you want a copy of Say Yes, it might be a good idea to act fast. I heard this has gone out of print, despite not being available for *that* long.

Hans Adams
03-13-2003, 12:26 AM
The Isle. Then like Andrew said above, check out the rest by Kim Ki-Duk. BTW, his latest film The Coast Guard is getting a Korean DVD release and an earlier film from 1998, Birdcage Inn, is just released from HK.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
JSA
Die Bad
No Blood No Tears
Musa
Sorum
Whasango (aka Volcano High)
Friend

ROBERT BLACK
03-13-2003, 12:34 AM
I've heard some positive word on Real Fiction, from the lunatic that did the Isle.

Hans Adams
03-13-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by ROBERT BLACK
I've heard some positive word on Real Fiction, from the lunatic that did the Isle.

Real Fiction is very good. It's shot on DV and takes place in real time. It seems also that Kim had no shooting permits for the film, so all reactions from the non-actors are genuine. Also, the film crew is present in several shots. The film isn't an excercise in aesthetics nor a character study. Whatever it is, it's engrossing, at least to me.

Brian N
03-13-2003, 01:12 AM
I've seen a lot of bad ones lately - but there have been some pretty interesting ones as well. Sympathy for Mr Vengeance is a mean sock in the jaw - but its wonderfully acted and beautifully filmed - just don't expect a feel good film. Oasis falls a bit into that category as well - real difficult to watch at times but its cumulative effect is heartening and devastating. One that is a feel good film that no one seems to like but me is Saving My Hubby - I loved this film about a woman who straps her baby to her back and goes out into the dark Seoul night to save her husband and battle gangsters - comical and feel good. I'd also go for The Phone - not horrifically scary by any means but well shot, good narrative and a few things I never saw coming. If you haven't seen Musa do so immediately - incredible film that I can't believe hasn't had a run in US theaters.

Lee O
03-13-2003, 10:31 PM
Damn, i had no idea i'd get so many recommendations. Since horror is my favorite genre i decided to try out "Say Yes" & "The Phone" first. I ordered both from poker industries today. Next i definately will try "My Wife Is a Gangster" and possibly "The Isle".

Lee O
03-23-2003, 11:03 PM
I ordered alot of the discs that were recommended to me. So far i've watched, and really enjoyed "Say Yes" & "The Phone".

I also ordered all of these, but haven't had a chance to watch them yet:
"My Wife Is A Ganster" 2 disc set
"Memento Mori"
"Real Fiction"

I plan on ordering these too:
"The Isle"
"Nightmare/Horror Movie Game"(i'll probably get the HK full screen version of this one. I've heard mixed reviews).
"Sorum"

I'm also considering "Paradise Villa", but i've heard alot of negative reviews.

I'm real interested in "Attack The Gas Station", but i've heard there was some sort of manufacturing flaw on the disc that causes the image to look stretched. Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks again for all the recommendations. So far i've been really satisfied with the titles i've picked up.

Andrew Bodsworth
03-24-2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Lee
I'm real interested in "Attack The Gas Station", but i've heard there was some sort of manufacturing flaw on the disc that causes the image to look stretched. Can anybody confirm this?

Attack The Gas Station was an early Spectrum release, and like their other older releases (Il Mare, Nowhere To Hide and Interview to name some) it does suffer the "stretch" problem. If you have a 4:3 TV, you'll have to set your DVD player to 16:9 mode to get the image to display correctly (it's easy to do).

There was a rumour going around that they "remastered" the discs, making them non-anamorphic widescreen as opposed to the just plain screwy widescreen. But nobody seems to have confirmed this.

If the problem with the Korean disc bothers you, ATGS has also been released in HK. It's P&S, and from Mei Ah, so it'll probably suck - but it's cheap.

Charles Avinger
03-26-2003, 11:02 AM
Great recommendations on this thread! -sigh- further into debt...

The Isle -- absolutely gut-wrenching
301/302 -- I have this on laser, not sure of its availability -- not exactly horror, more a psychological black comedy/character study with definite horrific elements -- highly recommended

Lee O
08-01-2003, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by sunburn
Does anyone have any info on Sorum? Was thinking of picking this up.....cant find a decent trustworthy review online. Any real opinions would be good.

I thought it was boring. It was kinda a ghost story, but it went nowhere. I was glad when it ended. But the disc is really nice A/V if your still interested.

Stephen Sorrell
08-01-2003, 08:00 PM
"Memento Mori" tends to polarise opinions. I loved it and am looking forward to the next in the series, "Wishing Stairs"....

"Musa" is indeed an peach of a movi8e, think of it as a Western set in post Yuan-dynasty China.

I also really liked "Saving My Hubby", think of that one as a Korean "After Hours".

If you don't mind moving away from horror/thriller territory, the following are excellent:-

My Sassy Girl (the best rom-com in years)
Foul King (wrestling black comedy)
Art Museum by the Zoo (another fine rom-com)
Nabi (art house SF, just beautiful)
Christmas in August (drama)

Steve