PDA

View Full Version : THE PROWLER on Blu-ray for Halloween

Nick H.
02-09-2010, 12:44 PM
from blu-ray.com:

"In an email newsletter from Blue Underground, the studio has informed that it is just now beginning work on the Blu-ray of the 1981 slasher movie The Prowler (also known as Rosemary's Killer) which "should be released by Halloween," completely uncut and uncensored. Other release details are still unavailable; an official announcement will be made in the coming months. "

Luis Domenech
02-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Any chance they found a better print? The current DVD looks good for a nearly 30 year old low budget slasher but there may not be much BU can do to improve the picture quality for hi-def. Same goes for Shock Waves.

cworkman
02-09-2010, 02:15 PM
I thought they both looked pretty good.

I don't know if I'll upgrade to Blu for THE PROWLER, but I would for SHOCK WAVES in a heartbeat.

Kevin B.
02-09-2010, 04:08 PM
I thought they both looked pretty good.

I don't know if I'll upgrade to Blu for THE PROWLER, but I would for SHOCK WAVES in a heartbeat.

I completely agree.

Ehren H.
02-09-2010, 08:51 PM
One of my absolute favorite slashers. Dark, grim, meanspirited, and it contains some of Savini's best effects. Can't wait for the blu!

Scott MacDonald
02-10-2010, 07:50 AM
One of my absolute favorite slashers. Dark, grim, meanspirited, and it contains some of Savini's best effects. Can't wait for the blu!

I saw it while crashing at a friends house, and didn't care for it too much. It did feel like a small town version of Maniac meets Prom Night, but was too much like the latter, and not enough of the former.

The effects were great though.

cworkman
02-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Overall I like THE PROWLER, I just don't love it. It is definitely better than PROM NIGHT, though. That's one of the worst (though I have fond memories of seeing it late night on Sammy Terry once when I was a kid). I thought PROWLER was a little bit better than MANIAC.

Shane K
02-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Great news indeed! Hopefully the Maniac BD isn't too far off.

Luis Domenech
02-10-2010, 03:03 PM
If it wasn't for the disco sequences Prom Night would rank higher in my book...still a solid slasher even if some parts feel like a soap opera. I discovered The Prowler for the first time when BU released the DVD and thought it was great; mean & nasty like a good slasher should be.

Scott MacDonald
02-10-2010, 04:50 PM
I know this isn't a PN thread, but I freaking hate Prom Night. The sequels actually surpassed the original in about every single way.

Scott MacDonald
02-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Great news indeed! Hopefully the Maniac BD isn't too far off.

Didn't BU announce Maniac for there initial slate of blu-ray's? I wouldn't be surprised if it came soon.

Shane K
02-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Didn't BU announce Maniac for there initial slate of blu-ray's? I wouldn't be surprised if it came soon.

They sure did. I just wish that it would get announced already. :)

Ben Gart
02-10-2010, 05:33 PM
PROWLER is good for only one thing - Savini's fx. The movie itself is "close, but no cigar."

Marin_Spanic
02-10-2010, 08:58 PM
maybe they can source the Studio Canal Transfer of ROSEMARY'S KILLER (THE PROWLER), which was released in Australia and various European Countries and looks better/brighter than the US Version.

Mattias Karlsson
02-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Any chance they found a better print? The current DVD looks good for a nearly 30 year old low budget slasher but there may not be much BU can do to improve the picture quality for hi-def. Same goes for Shock Waves.

Two things that bluray does much better than DVD is grain and darkness. And The Prowler is grainy and dark so I think it will look much better than the DVD.