PDA

View Full Version : Budget Blu-Ray Player - Upconverting Model

John G.
01-30-2010, 07:05 PM
So I got an HDTV and I need a blu-ray player that's under $200 but that can play my regular DVDs and make them look good. Any suggestions?

AdamTyner
01-30-2010, 07:33 PM
If you're interested in importing titles as well as playing stuff from these shores, it might be worth considering the Sherwood BDP-5004 -- it'll run around $160-$170 online, it has the same guts inside as a Momitsu player, and a couple of button presses will let it play anything the world over. I've read that it's pretty good at upconverting, but I have to admit to not having tried that myself yet.

Paul Casey
01-31-2010, 05:15 PM
Any suggestions?

Put this in the right forum, mod.

HA!

Aaron G
01-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Aren't PS3's 200 buck in the USA? There's the Kogan from Australia, but I think the voltages might be different.

John G.
01-31-2010, 09:39 PM
Bought a Sony Blu ray player (about 150 bucks) and while the FULL METAL JACKET disc I bought looks amazing, the upconversion completely SUCKS and my regular DVDs (tried about a half a dozen) all look like ass.

I don't have enough money to drop on an oppo or something that apparently is competent. Right now I'm so frustrated that I may just return the damn player tomorrow and get a regular upconverting DVD player instead and spend the difference on more DVDs.

Wayne Schmidt
01-31-2010, 10:29 PM
I'm really happy with my selectable region Curtis Mathis blu ($99). BDs look great, but I use it mostly for standard def and the upconversion looks really good. I auditioned a bunch of players before I got this one, and wasn't particularly overwhelmed with any of them, except the PS3 looked really good. I don't think I did a standard Sony blu player, though. Still, I'm surprised the upconversion looks shitty.

Jonathan D. Cox
02-01-2010, 05:56 AM
Maybe your tv will do a better job at upconverting. You should experiment by switching your blu ray's output from 720p to 1080i and see if it makes a difference when you allow the tv to finish the conversion to 1080p.

Benjamin C
02-01-2010, 05:58 AM
I bought a Hiteker blu-ray player last week at our local grocery store for a 135 bucks and im quite happy with the machine so far. Its region free out the box as far as DVDs are concerned and with a simple code on the remote youre also able to watch blu-rays from region A and C.

It also upscales my old DVDs quite nicely on my 42 inch Panasonic plasma screen. I watched "Deadgirl" and "Wrong Turn 3" last night with some friends and they both looked awesome despite being only SD.

Heres a link for the machine: http://www.hiteker.eu/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=25&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=55

N Boros
02-01-2010, 01:32 PM
So I got an HDTV and I need a blu-ray player that's under $200 but that can play my regular DVDs and make them look good. Any suggestions?

You didn't mention that you want a region free player. If that is the case then the Panasonic's are quite good at up-conversion. Since they are between models then you can pick up the previous model cheap. It doesn't have Netflix streaming, etc. though.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-BD60-Blu-ray-Player-Black/dp/B001V9LA44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265048942&sr=8-1

If you want a region free player that also up-converts well then you probably have to go with Oppo.

Steve R
02-01-2010, 05:56 PM
John.

You're in the city right? 6th Avenue Electronics can have some really good bargains. Denon makes quite a few models - Blu and SD - that upconvert
really nicely. Stop in and see what they have - They genrealy have stacks of boxes on the floor. A lot of mid to low level stuff but amongst the rough are diamonds.

This is based on Plasma HDTV, If you have an LCD you'll have to check it out first to see how you like it.

Denon and Oppo are the brands of choice - save up, shop around and get the best price. There is shit and shinola out there. If you can see the difference you need decent equipment. Just my two cents.

Marshall Crist
02-27-2010, 01:21 AM
How is the Sherwood on upconversion? It's time.

Marshall Crist
02-27-2010, 01:34 AM
Let me throw another one out there. Can someone suggest an all-region Blu player with streaming? My wife seems pretty excited about that shit.

Nick Schwartz
02-27-2010, 11:26 PM
Holy shit, there are Blu-Players that stream Netflix? But how?

I wouldn't mind a Budget one that can stream Netflix, upconvert, is region-free, and works. I don't have an HDTV yet but I'm looking to get into this and I figured if I need a new player, might as well start updating piecemeal.

Marshall Crist
02-28-2010, 03:11 AM
What he said.

Ehren H.
03-02-2010, 10:38 AM
If you were debating getting a gaming system at all as well, I can heartily recommend the PS3.

Marshall Crist
03-02-2010, 01:31 PM
I've heard it's pricey, but I'm listening.

Marshall Crist
03-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Well, my wife just reminded me that I should be getting a chunk of change for my birthday, so it looks like the Sherwood for me. Can't wait to get BLACK DYNAMITE, CANNIBAL GIRLS, and the Corman stuff.

Nick Schwartz
03-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Okay, the Sherwood seems like a great buy. But does it stream Netflix? I'm afraid I'm in new territory with that and the Sherwood seems to be perfect if it can stream and such.

Ben Gart
03-03-2010, 09:31 PM
How is the Sherwood on upconversion? It's time.

I would say the upconversion is really good. But I've never had the opportunity to watch a dvd upconverted before I got the Sherwood.

In regards to streaming, the Sherwood does not. However my partner hooks up his MacBook Pro to the tv and we've been watching a lot of DEXTER and 30 ROCK via Netflix. It connect with this mini-displayport-to-HDMI cable I got from Monoprice for dirt cheap (compared to what a place like BB would charge to get a similar but more complicated hook-up going): http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024603&p_id=5994&seq=1&format=2. Looks fair enough for what it is (streaming television shows thru a laptop over a wifi connection).