PDA

View Full Version : New UK Blu Ray of Day of the Dead

Nick F
01-27-2010, 09:49 PM
http://dvdtrash.blogspot.com/2010/01/dvd-news-day-of-dead-blu-ray-from-arrow.html

Coming March 29th 2010 from Arrow Films is the UK Blu Ray of "Day of the Dead", with extras produced by High Rising Productions duo (and good friends) Calum Waddell and Naomi Holwill.

Extras:

* UK Exclusive Extra: "Joe of the Dead: Acting in a George Romero Classic" is a 50-minute interview with star Joe Pilato (Captain Rhodes). Directed by Calum Waddell, it features a look at the actor’s career before and after Day of the Dead, and features rare, never seen before images.
* UK Exclusive Extra: "Travelogue of the Dead: On the Rhodes Again" is a 17-minute feature about Pilato’s trip to Dublin, Edinburgh and Glasgow in October 2009. Directed by Naomi Holwill, it features fans giving their own thoughts on meeting Captain Rhodes.
* Commentary with the special effects team including Greg Nicotero. Howard Berger, Everett Burrell and Mike Deak
* The Many Days of the Dead
* Behind the Scenes
* Filmographies and Biographies for Romero and Savini
* Photo Galleries
* Theatrical Trailer

Benjamin C
01-28-2010, 05:45 AM
Great just yesterday i broke down and ordered the Stars blu-ray even though i know it´s been DNR´ed to death... Guess i´ll wait and see how Arrow´s transfer holds up and then i´ll make the decision to double dip or not. After all we are talking about my second favorite zombie here!

Vincent Pereira
01-28-2010, 12:15 PM
I doubt this will be a different transfer than the Anchor Bay Blu-ray, and since the "exclusive" extras on the U.K. disc are all Joe Pilato related- and he's the worst thing about DAY OF THE DEAD IMO- I'll pass, unless by some miracle it turns out I'm wrong and this IS a better transfer.

Vincent

mark t
01-28-2010, 12:41 PM
I'd pay for it if one of the Pilato extras was him yelling at Frank Estrada while wearing a housecoat. That would be worth the price of admission.

Barry M.
01-28-2010, 12:54 PM
http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=663&d=1101261052 http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=664&d=1101265325

I don't know if I need to see that in hd.

Luis Domenech
01-28-2010, 02:36 PM
I wonder if this will port over to region 1 someday...I need a Blu-ray of this but I'm not shelling out for the ten dollar "until something better comes along" current version (and no, I'm not region-free and am not planning on becoming it)

R_Strange
01-28-2010, 03:06 PM
The Arrow Dawn Of The Dead is slightly less noise reduced than the AB, so it's possible that Day's transfer may also be a subtle improvement (though hopefully a significant one).

The AB original mono track features quite heavily distorted dialogue, so Arrow's confirmed decision to integrate the uncensored dialogue into the lossless tracks is very welcome.

Frankie T.
01-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Wonder if it'll have reversible art like the DOTD release

sammy harkham
08-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Has a side by side comparison of the stars and arrow Dawn and Day blu-rays popped up anywhere online? am curious to see what the differences are...

Derrick King
08-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Here are caps-a-holic's comparisons
DAWN (http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/index.php?vergleich=dawn_of_the_dead_bd1)

DAY (http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/index.php?vergleich=day_of_the_dead_bd1)

Troy Howarth
08-19-2010, 09:39 PM
I really enjoy Pilato in the film... over the top, sure, but it suits the character, IMO.

Ben Gart
08-19-2010, 09:43 PM
The colors look more natural in Arrow's DAWN blu-ray. Check this one out for Roger when he's waking back up:

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/index.php?art=part&x=492&y=264&action=1&image=6&vergleich=dawn_of_the_dead_bd1#vergleich

I think the vertical stretching that's apparent in the Arrow DAY blu-ray actually looks more normal -- I'm thinking that's why they did that.

sammy harkham
08-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Thanks for that guys! Super appreciated. Troy, I like Pilato as well, though it may take awhile to warm up to him.

(I rambled about Day being the best showcase of Romero's best and worst tendencies here: http://blog.familylosangeles.com/2007/02/george-romeros-best-and-worst.html )

cworkman
08-19-2010, 11:20 PM
I'm not sure anyone really gives GOOD performances in this film (except for the guy who plays the zombie with a personality, mabye), but the whole thing is so over the top that it doesn't really matter much.

I've got the Anchor Bay BD of this and am sticking to it. I can't imagine buying this title more than once in the BD format anyway, considering I've already bought on VHS and DVD over the years...

John G.
08-20-2010, 07:15 AM
Seeing those caps side-by-side, it doesn't seem like there's a really huge difference visually between both the Starz and the Arrow blu-rays (I can live with the stretching on DAY, since I hardly ever noticed it before)... is the sound superior on the UK releases or something?

Troy Howarth
08-20-2010, 08:21 AM
I'm not sure anyone really gives GOOD performances in this film (except for the guy who plays the zombie with a personality, mabye), but the whole thing is so over the top that it doesn't really matter much.

I've got the Anchor Bay BD of this and am sticking to it. I can't imagine buying this title more than once in the BD format anyway, considering I've already bought on VHS and DVD over the years...

There's no doubt in my mind that the performances are good. Sometimes subtle is needed, sometimes it's not. So for me, the actors all do an admirable job here.

cworkman
08-20-2010, 10:35 AM
To each his own, certainly. I find these performances for the most part ridiculous and very unrealistic, a problem that mars many of Romero's older films. But usually it doesn't matter, because the films themselves are so over the top that it's not about the performances, it's about the violence.

Now, sure, I agree that sometimes over the top is good, and over the top doesn't necessarily equate with bad performance. It's just that here, I think the people are particularly bad.

Troy Howarth
08-20-2010, 10:44 AM
We just don't agree, Chris.

I'm bummed this one hasn't gotten a better release in the US on BR - it's my favorite of the zombie films, and I'd love to have it in that format. It's the first one I saw - I actually got in to see it in '85, at the age of 8, because it was unrated. Traumatic is the word...

R_Strange
08-20-2010, 12:42 PM
I too would love a decent blu ray of this classic. Grain intact, with perhaps slightly deeper contrast.

The current editions are soft and video-like. Though in my estimation, at least the Arrow disc has the correct dimensions. :rolleyes: Quite a bit of severe banding and posterization during fast motion not present on the slightly squashed Anchor Bay, though. I guess it's a compression issue.

cworkman
08-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Before they revisit this title, though, I'd like to see Anchor Bay/Starz/whomever release on BD some of that other stuff they own, like RE-ANIMATOR, PHANTASM, anything Hammer, THE WICKER MAN, THE HILLS HAVE EYES, etc.

Troy Howarth
08-20-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm all for those being released, too, but it's not good enough to put out a crappy version of this and let it go at that... Whatever order they do it in is fine, provided we get all these things looking their very best.

cworkman
08-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Well, Troy, it looks WAY better than FRANTIC, so if you like that release, you probably won't be too bothered by this one. It was a little soft in spots, sure, but there was still a great deal of detail, and it was much, much better looking than the standard DVD.

cworkman
08-20-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm all for those being released, too, but it's not good enough to put out a crappy version of this and let it go at that... Whatever order they do it in is fine, provided we get all these things looking their very best.

Well, I can't really disagree with any of that. They need to release all these titles (plus some, like the Bavas), and they need to do so in the highest quality they possibly can.

Troy Howarth
08-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Well, Troy, it looks WAY better than FRANTIC, so if you like that release, you probably won't be too bothered by this one. It was a little soft in spots, sure, but there was still a great deal of detail, and it was much, much better looking than the standard DVD.

I don't know - a lot of this is definitely in the eye of the beholder. I thought Frantic looked acceptable, and I'm glad to have it in widescreen, but that's a film that has been treated poorly on video in the US in the past. By contrast, the AB DVD of Day of the Dead was, I thought, superb - so I would have hoped the BR would have looked better still. I gather it's not worth the upgrade, so I'm holding out for a better edition.

Ben Gart
08-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Unfortunately, AB has no plans to release RE-ANIMATOR on blu-ray. I asked a rep while dealing with a dvd issue, and was told this.

Vincent Pereira
08-21-2010, 10:48 AM
There's no doubt in my mind that the performances are good. Sometimes subtle is needed, sometimes it's not. So for me, the actors all do an admirable job here.

I'm with Troy, even though I don't like Pilato in the film. The other performances range from excellent (Lori Cardille, Terry Alexander, Howard Sherman) to good IMO.

Vincent

cworkman
08-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Unfortunately, AB has no plans to release RE-ANIMATOR on blu-ray. I asked a rep while dealing with a dvd issue, and was told this.

That stinks! I refuse to upgrade to the anamorphic special edition because I just know that the moment I do, someone will release the film on Blu-ray.

I saw this in the theatre last year. It's such a beautiful film, richly colored. It desperately needs a BD release.

Paul A J Lewis
08-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Seeing those caps side-by-side, it doesn't seem like there's a really huge difference visually between both the Starz and the Arrow blu-rays (I can live with the stretching on DAY, since I hardly ever noticed it before)... is the sound superior on the UK releases or something?
The 5.1 track on the Arrow release contains the lines of dialogue that are supposedly missing (presumed censored) on the surround sound tracks of the Anchor Bay release. (However, the Anchor Bay release's mono track is supposedly 'uncensored' too.)