PDA

View Full Version : RING VIRUS (with spoilers)

Doug Ford
03-10-2003, 12:28 PM
I started my week-long RING-athon last night by watching RING VIRUS for the first time. Far from being a "by the numbers" remake, as I've heard it was, this was an imaginative re-telling of the Nakata's film and in some ways genuinely improved upon it. In particular, this film had the most satisfying background story of the three RING incarnations. To have the Sadako character killed by her step-brother/lover provides a different sort of edginess to the film, and to make her a hermaphrodite makes the film much more subversive than its Japanese and American cousins. Rather than seeing the same events replayed in a different form, I'm finding that this film is giving me much more to think about than I bargained for, particularly with its questions about sexual identity. That said, I found the Sadako video to be the most disappointing of the three films, and the final scene is probably the least intense.

My understanding is that the novel contains the same sort of revelation about Sadako's sexuality. Can anyone confirm this?

Ian Jane
03-10-2003, 06:11 PM
Did you pick up the recent HK release? I saw DDDHouse has it. How's the qulaity of the disc?

Andrew Bodsworth
03-10-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Doug Ford
My understanding is that the novel contains the same sort of revelation about Sadako's sexuality. Can anyone confirm this?

This is true. Haven't read the novel myself, but someone I know has and Sadako is revealed to be a hermaphrodite.

Doug Ford
03-10-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Ian Jane
Did you pick up the recent HK release? I saw DDDHouse has it. How's the qulaity of the disc?

Yeah, that's the one that I have, and it looks ok. I noticed a few artifacts, but nothing all that distracting. Certain night scenes lost some clarity, but considering the low price, it's a decent (though not great) disc. I should point out that I haven't seen any other release of this film, so I don't know how it compares.

Andrew Bodsworth
03-10-2003, 07:47 PM
Doug, can you check the running time of the disc? I'm curious because the HK disc is listed at 95 minutes, while the Korean is supposed to be 110.

fudohfan39
03-10-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Andrew Bodsworth
Doug, can you check the running time of the disc? I'm curious because the HK disc is listed at 95 minutes, while the Korean is supposed to be 110.

I have the Korean disc and I did a 'time remaining' at the start of the movie, and it stated 1:46:03, which comes out roughly 106 minutes.

Andrew Bodsworth
03-10-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by fudohfan39
I have the Korean disc and I did a 'time remaining' at the start of the movie, and it stated 1:46:03, which comes out roughly 106 minutes.

Thanks for that...I wonder if the estimation on the back of the HK DVD could be off by a whole 10 minutes.

Doug Ford
03-10-2003, 11:00 PM
The running time on the HK disc is off indeed--mine clocks in at 1:45:58.

Andrew Bodsworth
03-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Cool, thanks for clearing that up.

Al Edwards
04-10-2005, 03:50 PM
from davisdvd.com

"Specialty distributor Tai Seng will release the first domestic edition of the The Ring Virus on June 21st. This Korean adaptation of the novel Ringu (and Hideo Nakata's Japanese film) arrives with a letterboxed transfer, English, Mandarin and Korean Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks, Cantonese Dolby Digital Stereo and removable English and Chinese subtitles. Extras will include an image gallery, filmographies and trailers. Retail is $19.95."

Jason Lee
04-10-2005, 09:41 PM
If you can get the Korean disc it retails here for about 5 US doillars these days.......

I quite liked it...not as good as the Japanese one but still needs to be seen if you are Sadako completist like me!@|!!!

It was a Korea/Japan coproduction because they would NOT allow the Japanese RING to play in Korean theaters.(We have strict laws about importing Japanese movies since our troubled history...xome titles (Like AUDITION) are still not released..)...They later of course released the Japanese version....

Kristian R
04-11-2005, 12:12 AM
I enjoyed it if simply for the fact that it is closer to the book than the Japanese version. The Japanese movie is better over all, but it made some stupid unnecessary changes from the book.

Richard Schmidt
04-14-2005, 09:06 AM
I need to watch Ring Virus again. It just didn't do it for me the first time. I was least impressed with the videotape in this one. I didn't think it was remotely creepy. Maybe I missed something.

Jason Lee
04-14-2005, 12:36 PM
How could you NOT be impressed with the lovely Bae Du Na as Sadako??????

I too DONT think it was as CREEPY as the Japanese version, simply because Nakata added a lot of the supernatural stuff himself...I haent read the book but I believe it was more scientific in its origins (as the follow up RING SPIRAL shows)....

The other problem is that, if you have seen ANY of the RING movies before this one, most of the plot twists and weird bits you will already see coming a mile away......

Kristian R
04-14-2005, 01:05 PM
The original novel really only had two creepy parts- at the beginning and end. The middle was pretty much all reporter investigation and the ring virus was introduced as the core of how Sadako was able to spread her influence. Basically, Sadako's mental powers + small pox = The Ring Virus. Her hermaphradism is also an important factor in this book and the sequel.
The second novel (Spiral) was significantly creepier and delved much more into genetics and virology. I enjoyed the first novel, but found the second one to be a lot more interesting.
The English translation of the third novel (Loop) is due out in June and I'm looking forward to reading that one as well.

Nigel K
05-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Can anyone tell me which of the Ring movies are actually worth watching? I've seen Ringu and The Ring, and that's it. I've also seen the Spiral movie, but that's different I guess. I know there are a ton of these out there. I'd be interested to see the others. So any recommendations?

Ian Jane
05-03-2005, 05:13 PM
The two Japanese sequels are ehhh. The second one has it's moments, the third one isn't very good at all. If you've seen the US remake and the Japanese original, you've seen the best two in my opinion. Ring Virus isn't bad though.

William R.
05-03-2005, 05:29 PM
If you've seen the original and the remake then there's really no urgent reason to see the others. If curiosity gets the better of you, by all means go for it, but don't expect much. I found the Japanese sequels to be pretty uneventful. The American RING TWO is a real piss poor excuse for a film and should be avoided at all costs. RASEN is the pits as well, though it's inclusion in the series is debatable and fairly spotty (it's sometimes referred to as RING 2).