PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Best BD Studio Today?

Luis Domenech
12-28-2009, 06:29 PM
I vote Disney/Buena Vista best studio for releasing top-notch BDs and having the best record overall. The quality of their Blu-rays is stunning. Here's hoping they consider a few of their early non-anamorphic DVDs for release on Blu soon:

Deep Rising
Journey of Natty Gann
Halloween H20
Scream.

Runner-up: Columbia/Sony.

Worst Studio prize has to go to Lionsgate for having the most "average-looking, only slightly-better-than-DVD" discs.

N Boros
12-28-2009, 07:16 PM
I agree with you about Disney having probably the best picture and sound quality and Sony/Columbia coming in second place. Lately Disney has even been giving a DVD and down-loadable version of the movie and most other studios can't compete with them with extras. But, as far as forced FBI warnings, telling us that any views expressed in the extras don't reflect the studios views (in multiple languages sometimes!), Java bullshit and too many trailers: those Disney and Sony are probably the worst. In fact, most American Blu-ray releases are also quite bad in this area. I remember when Blu-ray's first came out, many studios were bragging about how they would have the movie start playing immediately, not even having a menu come up first. Those days are long gone. What's worst is when they tack on all of this extra garbage to TV series, so that every time you want to watch an episode you have to wade through all of it.

I've got a few Region B Optimum UK Blu-Ray's that don't have all this extra bullshit come up first and it is nice.

Mark C.
12-28-2009, 07:23 PM
I would vote for the BFI blu-rays they are stunning, and they actually release films I want.

Bill Piper
12-29-2009, 05:04 AM
I don't own any Disney, so I can't comment on them. But my current favorite major studio for blu is WB. All my WB discs are excellent! Their HD-DVD releases are pretty damn good as well.

Luis Domenech
12-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Boros you are correct regarding Sony being the worst offender with disclaimers/warnings. First comes the forced trailers, then the Interpol statement in two languages, next up the legal disclaimers (sometimes in three languages!), the FBI warning and if they feel like adding one more they'll throw in the "You wouldn't steal a car, don't download movies" commercial. Usually I'll avoid all the BS by going to the scene selections menu and clicking on the second chapter and then backtracking to the first chapter. At least I'll skip the disclaimers before the movie. As for TV shows, I wonder when they'll start to use logos and CNN-style tickers at the bottom of the screen!

Frankie T.
12-30-2009, 12:25 AM
Another vote for Disney. I have many of the Pixar releases and all of them are top notch.

Lars Jacobsson
12-30-2009, 03:34 PM
I would vote for the BFI blu-rays they are stunning, and they actually release films I want.
Agreed!

Jonathan D. Cox
01-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Now that I have seen THE GENERAL I must vote for KINO.

Mark C.
01-14-2010, 03:48 PM
I would place Criterion second best after the BFI discs, Criterion is another company that is actually releasing films I want in Hidef.

Rich K
01-31-2010, 02:06 AM
On the strength of 2001, The Searchers, Bonnie and Clyde and The Shining.
I think Warners have done a pretty good job with the BD's I've seen.
I thought Dirty Harry looked pretty good also and still have to check out The Wild Bunch.

Scott MacDonald
02-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Now that I have seen THE GENERAL I must vote for KINO.

Wait until you see Fallen Angels! I got a review copy of the BD the other day, and HOLY CRAP does it look great. So much better than the SD disc I got in the Kino WKW box set.