PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for a Blu-ray player ~ Anyone have a Sony?

Simon M.
11-28-2009, 03:34 PM
If anyone can shed some light on any of the features below, it would help me out. I'm interested in a Sony Blu-ray player but the saleskid at Best Buy was lost when I was asking him questions. He didn't seem to know anything about the features. He also didn't even want to show me the remote for the player that interested me because it wasn't "available". I just want to know which features are important that the Sony player "doesn't have". They say nothing about youtube videos while others advertise this on the box. Maybe Sony plays them but they just didn't advertise? I'm not sure how the youtube thing works but I don't want to regret getting a player that doesn't have this feature.

Here are the features for the Sony Blu-ray player model BDP-BX2

-Dolby True HD
-DTS-HD
-PRECISION DRIVE HD
-JAVA POWERED ??? (Does this mean it runs on coffee??LOL)
-AVCHD
-HDMI
-PHOTO TV HD
-BRAVIA SYNC
-24P TRUE CINEMA
-BD LIVE
-UPSCALES DVD (Everyone says this feature is bullshit since regular dvds will look nowhere near HD quality)
-PRECISION CINEMA HD
-BACK LIT REMOTE CONTROL (This is kinda cool but no eject button??)

So is this Sony missing any important features?

It's such a pain in the ass shopping for a Blu-ray player and an HD tv. I was interested in a Sony 40" Bravia HD tv which was a 120 HZ, 4 HDMI INPUTS, 1 PC INPUT and had an 8 MS Response time (which the salesman discouraged by trying to sell me a Samsung with a 4 MS response time and he's telling me that the screens are better on the Samsungs because Samsung makes the screens for Sony but keep the better ones for themselves. He also discouraged from getting a 120HZ and said he preferred the 240 HZ but I noticed no difference. I guess they really want to sell off their Samsung sets. The Sony Bravia I was looking at was on sale at 999.99 down from 1399.99. 400 bucks off would have been great but I was even more lost after talking to the sales rep so I walked away and figured I'd do some online research.

Nick Lombardo
11-28-2009, 06:59 PM
I have a sony and am quite happy with it. Up converting dvds while looking good does not reach blu ray quality

Chuk H
12-01-2009, 01:17 AM
Well, a lot of us, myself included, have decided to go with the PS3 which is now about 300 bucks and will do all that, I think. It has the added bonus of built in wifi which makes the streaming netflix thing easy ( and awesome).

One lame thing is that the Dolby True HD sound won't work unless your receiver has HDMI inputs. Since my ONKYO is limited to optical, I'm not getting the greatest sound out of it but it's still a pretty great package overall.

Nick McBride
12-01-2009, 01:25 AM
One lame thing is that the Dolby True HD sound won't work unless your receiver has HDMI inputs. Since my ONKYO is limited to optical, I'm not getting the greatest sound out of it but it's still a pretty great package overall.

You can listen to Dolby True HD if your blu ray player has analog outputs that you can connect to the receiver. Unfortunately, that tends to only be the top model of most brand's product lines. The sound is the same though as if it was transmitted via hdmi.

I've got a sony blu ray player which has most of the features that Simon lists. Some of them are lost on me and those I recognise, I would expect any blu ray player to have. Sony blu ray players are well regarded, as are Panasonic, Samsung, LG and Pioneer. I don't think you're likely to go wrong with any of their models and you should just pay extra if you really need a particular feature (eg analog outputs).

Anthony A.
12-01-2009, 12:33 PM
I have a PS3 and I use PlayOn (http://www.playon.tv/index.php) to wirelessly stream video content saved on my computer as well as Netflix (without the Netflix disc) and Hulu to my tv. It can also be used to wirelessly stream Amazon vod, CBS, YouTube, CNN, ESPN, Cartoon Network (maybe more... not sure).

Anthony