PDA

View Full Version : So CRITERION use a PS3 as their reference player...

Aaron G
10-29-2009, 06:46 PM
..according to their mailing list:

"...Pivko will receive a new PlayStation 3, Criterion’s reference Blu-ray player...."

..which is kinda stupid since PS3 are REGION FUCKING LOCKED!!

SO much for their supporting 'WORLD MOVIES'! Fuckers!:confused:

Kristian R
10-29-2009, 06:47 PM
But you can't blame them for wanting to rock some Uncharted 2 on their down time.

Matt Bauer
10-30-2009, 05:28 AM
Not sure what's so stupid about it. Sure, it'd be nice if it wasn't region locked, but it's easily one of the best Blu-Ray and DVD-upconverting players on the market, and you'll never run into a snafu with firmware. Unless it's PAL or other region, PS3 is my go-to player for everything else too.

And Criterion is an R1 company...not sure why they'd be worried about using a region free player. I'm sure they have ways to see other countries region-locked discs.

Aaron G
10-30-2009, 06:24 AM
Not sure what's so stupid about it. Sure, it'd be nice if it wasn't region locked, but it's easily one of the best Blu-Ray and DVD-upconverting players on the market, and you'll never run into a snafu with firmware. Unless it's PAL or other region, PS3 is my go-to player for everything else too.

And Criterion is an R1 company...not sure why they'd be worried about using a region free player. I'm sure they have ways to see other countries region-locked discs.

Well Blue Underground and Synapse and R1 companies and thet release Region ALL product...?

Nice to know the PS3 is a kick arse BD player. Shit to know Criterion don't release their BD's REGION ALL :mad:

Aleck Bennett
10-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Well Blue Underground and Synapse and R1 companies and thet release Region ALL product...?

Nice to know the PS3 is a kick arse BD player. Shit to know Criterion don't release their BD's REGION ALL :mad:

No independent company is strictly a "region all" company. They have to license their films from other people, and licensors are becoming more and more strict about having the region lock enabled so that they can lease the home video rights in other territories. I don't know if all of Criterion's BDs are region-locked, but if they decided to enact a blanket policy about region-locking all of their discs to ensure that there were no problems down the line (like producers not wanting to renegotiate rights deals when they expire), I wouldn't blame them.

Aaron G
10-30-2009, 08:39 PM
Yeah but you would think Criterion would be doing the producers favours by the way they present their films..?

Derrick King
10-31-2009, 01:37 AM
Yeah but you would think Criterion would be doing the producers favours by the way they present their films..?

Tell that to the fucking morons at Studio Canal, who keep on ending licensing agreements with Criterion. (This year Studio Canal has declined to extend the deals for Contempt, RAN, Nights of Cabiria, and The Third Man so that Lionsgate can release mediocre versions these films.)

Also, the reason that Criterion uses the PS3 as their Blu-Ray player is that it was the best player at the time they had their theater set up.

Aaron G
10-31-2009, 02:55 AM
Actually I picked up the Studio Canal version of CONTEMPT for 22.95 here, I'm not sure if this will be the same version Criterion will release, but at least I can play it on my PS3!

Luis Domenech
11-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Tell that to the fucking morons at Studio Canal, who keep on ending licensing agreements with Criterion. (This year Studio Canal has declined to extend the deals for Contempt, RAN, Nights of Cabiria, and The Third Man so that Lionsgate can release mediocre versions these films.)

Also, the reason that Criterion uses the PS3 as their Blu-Ray player is that it was the best player at the time they had their theater set up.

I can picture Lionsgate's marketing campaign for Nights of Cabiria: a Dimension Films-style assemblage of giant floating heads with taglines like "If you enjoyed (insert title of a recent popular foreign film released by Lionsgate), you'll LOVE this one!" This studio is a joke. As for the PS3, perhaps the reason they're so expensive is because they can also play blu-ray discs. I can't imagine anyone buying a PS3 to watch movies on it - people buy it so they can play videogames. Get rid of the "bells and whistles" and maybe they'll sell more of them. Leave Blu-ray to the experts.

Tony F
11-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Lions Gate has a good track record for Blu-Rays, I thought?

Jeffrey Allen Rydell
11-02-2009, 11:16 PM
As for the PS3, perhaps the reason they're so expensive is because they can also play blu-ray discs. I can't imagine anyone buying a PS3 to watch movies on it - people buy it so they can play videogames. Get rid of the "bells and whistles" and maybe they'll sell more of them. Leave Blu-ray to the experts.
Yeah! Stoopid PS3 poseurs! Leave Blu-ray to the experts! You know, like Sony, the developers of the format!

Oh, wait...

James Dennison
11-02-2009, 11:45 PM

I have some Lions Gate blu rays and they look fantastic and have more extras than you'd get on a criterion, and are half the price of criterion.

Jeffrey Allen Rydell
11-02-2009, 11:52 PM
I have some Lions Gate blu rays and they look fantastic and have more extras than you'd get on a criterion, and are half the price of criterion.
Obviously, the only conclusion that can be drawn from this statement is that Criterion is artificially inflating their prices and perniciously holding back on extras. Unlike LionsGate. Obviously.

Aaron G
11-03-2009, 01:38 AM
I can't imagine anyone buying a PS3 to watch movies on it - people buy it so they can play videogames. Get rid of the "bells and whistles" and maybe they'll sell more of them. Leave Blu-ray to the experts.

Well I don't play games, and for the extra 100 bucks I got a Blu-Ray player that is an incredible games machine, and divx player, and mp3 player and CD player, and Web Browser (ok the web browser is a dog!), and jpg image viewer/slideshow player, and so to be able to record HD TV! Yowser!

Really I had no inclination to play games, but the PS3 is really a kickarse piece of tech, that's saying something from a stupid curmudgeon like me!

Wayne Schmidt
11-03-2009, 01:46 AM
I had a PS3 on loan, and it was an excellent player. Really, my only complaint was it not playing PAL, and since I'm not a gamer having a lotta extra stuff I'd most likely never use. But it's pretty damn rock solid.

Aleck Bennett
11-03-2009, 02:12 AM
Yeah! Stoopid PS3 poseurs! Leave Blu-ray to the experts! You know, like Sony, the developers of the format!

Oh, wait...

On a visit to Sony DADC in Terre Haute, one of the team I was with asked the head of the QC department which player they'd recommend. The answer: even though Sony makes a lot more expensive players, the best piece of machinery was the PS3. I mean, sure, they're going to endorse a Sony product, but I was halfway expecting them to go with one of the $1500 machines.

Jeffrey Allen Rydell
11-03-2009, 03:02 AM
Obviously, the only conclusion that can be drawn from this statement is that Criterion is artificially inflating their prices and perniciously holding back on extras. Unlike LionsGate. Obviously.
Meanwhile, in a totally beat-Criterion-at-their-own-game move, LionsGate leaves 10 minutes of John Huston's THE DEAD off (http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/thedead.php) their awesome new DVD release.

And it lists for only 14.98! What are we waiting for?!

Derrick King
11-03-2009, 03:02 AM

I think with their new releases they've been pretty good. (I think the only Lionsgate Blu-ray I've got is Punisher: War Zone, which looks good but has lousy special features.) As for the catalog titles on Blu-ray, well look at the awful Total Recall or Basic Instinct discs or the mediocre Reservoir Dogs disc to see how bad they can be (of course these are from the early days of Blu-Ray and they may be treating catalog titles better.)

My problem with Lionsgate is that they tend to be very lazy when it comes to catalog titles. Look at their awful (and thankfully, now OOP and replaced with a true SE) release of Audition. Or their bare bones DVD of Near Dark (although I read rumors that their upcoming Blu-ray will have the Anchor Bay extras) or any of the other Anchor Bay releases that they got via Studio Canal (The Wicker Man, for example.)

Unlike Criterion, Lionsgates' releases of RAN and Contempt (and, I imagine, in the future The Third Man) are going to be direct ports of Studio Canal's vanity line, The Studio Canal collection. This is a problem for a few reasons, but the big one is if Studio Canal uses a bad transfer (as in the case of the RAN Blu-Ray) or fucks up in some way the whole world is stuck with it.

There is no chance of RAN having a decent Blu-Ray until the Studio Canal/Lionsgate deals ends (and who knows how long that is going to be.)

Luis Domenech
11-03-2009, 08:31 AM
When I think of Lionsgate I think of a greedy slumlord charging $1,500 a month rent for a dank basement and using that money to pay for hookers. My point is they don't give a rat's ass about artistic integrity or preserving a director's vision or anything like that when it comes to films (of any genre). I know Hollywood and filmmaking is a business like any other but to me a film is a work of art that should be treated with respect and not handled like a product, whatever the film may be, from Return of the Living Dead 3 to something like Ran, which, thankfully, I own a Criterion copy of. When I learned they took over the rights to Near Dark I picked up an extra copy of Anchor Bay's DVD because I knew that film was never going to be given the same kind of treatment The Bay gave it. The only reason Lionsgate put it out was to cash in on Twilight - they even used similar artwork! Here's some advice for them: Since you're on the vampire bandwagon, how about a decent widescreen version of Fright Night 2?

RichardDoyle
11-03-2009, 01:34 PM
I always thought that Lions Gate was the same company that Robert Altman formed in the 1970s. Apparently, they are unrelated ... the current Lions Gate was formed in 1995.

They are both named after Lions Gate bridge in Vancouver. Altman shot "A Cold Day in the Park" there, so named his company after it. The current company is headquartered in Vancouver.

Darcy Parker
11-03-2009, 09:13 PM
On a visit to Sony DADC in Terre Haute, one of the team I was with asked the head of the QC department which player they'd recommend. The answer: even though Sony makes a lot more expensive players, the best piece of machinery was the PS3. I mean, sure, they're going to endorse a Sony product, but I was halfway expecting them to go with one of the $1500 machines.

The biggest advantages of the PS3 over other Blu-Ray players are the network connection, the hard drive and the processing power. There is not much chance of the Blu-Ray specs ever outgrowing the PS3's muscle, so it is totally future-proof. Some of the higher-priced players lack enough storage to support much in the way of firmware updates, and some future features may require more local storage than most current players have.