PDA

View Full Version : Hammer on blu?

Ehren H.
10-07-2009, 02:05 AM
Are there any released yet? Any plans to?

I really, REALLY would love to see a BD of Hound of the Baskervilles.

Wayne Schmidt
10-07-2009, 03:19 AM
You and me both, plus many others. But no, I think it's going to be quite a wait. I don't think it's even been broadcast in HD anywhere.

Matt T
10-07-2009, 03:29 AM
I saw Vampire Circus On Demand in HD a couple of months ago.

Wayne Schmidt
10-07-2009, 03:50 AM
VAMPIRE CIRCUS, VAMPIRE LOVERS were both on recently. I think HORROR OF DRACULA was shown HD on either Cinemax or one of the other pay channels. MonstersHD also ran a number of Hammers, not sure which ones. But sadly none have come to blu yet, either here or elsewhere. If they do get released I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the UK first. They seem to be releasing more classic older movies than we are at the moment.

cworkman
10-07-2009, 05:36 PM
A couple of years ago (when the economy was better), Warner's home video head actually said that we'd see Hammer released in an HD format soon, but this year he changed his tune. It doesn't appear that it's going to happen anytime soon, unfortunately.

Eric B
10-07-2009, 08:16 PM
I've been putting off getting many Hammer DVDs forever. Might as well start to get them.

Ehren H.
10-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Bummer. I would go nuts for Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (I really like this one), Hound, Devil Rides Out, Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, etc.

Someone just needs to do a really long interview with Christopher Lee on camera that lasts like 12 hours long covering his whole career. So much stuff I want to know and I doubt I'll ever get to meet him. It'd be the ultimate bonus feature ever. They could fit that on a Blu disc, right? haha

cworkman
10-07-2009, 09:45 PM
You really should get them. Once some Hammer films start trickling on to DVD, who knows which company will be the first, and which classics will or will not make it out. Warner was the best bet, and they've nixed the idea for the time being. Universal has pretty much neglected films older than 1980 (on both Blu and standard DVD, for the most part). MGM doesn't seem to have much interest in releasing anything on Blu, let alone Hammer. And so on. I was hoping we'd get some of those Anchor Bay titles (the later ones that aren't, I believe, held by Blue Underground).

Now our best bet might be Blue Underground, and they have some great titles. So maybe if we let William Lustig know, nicely, just how much we want these, and really beg, we'll get titles like DRACULA-PRINCE OF DARKNESS, THE REPTILE, THE PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES, RASPUTIN THE MAD MONK, QUATERMASS 2, LEGEND OF THE 7 GOLDEN VAMPIRES (if the remake really gets made, we're likely to see this one at least), THE DEVIL RIDES OUT, THE SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA (which hasn't even seen an anamorphic release on standard DVD) etc.

Ehren H.
10-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Yeah I own all the ones I listed on standard def, but I recently got won over by blu in a big way and would love to see these films in hi def with lossless audio, etc.

The movie I REALLY want on DVD or Blu is Never Take Candy From A Stranger, which Troy has praised here for a while. I started watching a bootleg tape of it once but the quality was atrocious, so I turned it off. Think we'll ever see that one on Blu...or even DVD for that matter.

Wayne Schmidt
10-08-2009, 12:31 AM
The movie I REALLY want on DVD or Blu is Never Take Candy From A Stranger, which Troy has praised here for a while. I started watching a bootleg tape of it once but the quality was atrocious, so I turned it off. Think we'll ever see that one on Blu...or even DVD for that matter.It's coming out next year as part of the Sony Icons of Suspense set. Not on blu-ray, unfortunately.

http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/columbiaclassics/blog/2009/08/icons-and-icons.html

Ben Gart
10-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Regarding BU and the AB Hammer dvds, BU does not have the rights to them. I was told by someone from BU that the Hammer movies did not follow Lustig to BU like many other former AB titles.

Eric B
10-08-2009, 12:38 AM
I might get that Ultimate Hammer Collection from Amazon UK, and supplement with US releases from WB, Sony, and Universal.

Jeffrey Allen Rydell
10-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Someone just needs to do a really long interview with Christopher Lee on camera that lasts like 12 hours long covering his whole career.
You mean release any random rough cut of any video interview he's ever done? :D

Ehren H.
10-08-2009, 01:35 PM
You mean release any random rough cut of any video interview he's ever done? :D

Nope, I mean when all the best bits are chosen and it's edited down to concise it's still 12 hours long. Sorry Chris, you're sittin for a few days.

cworkman
10-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Regarding BU and the AB Hammer dvds, BU does not have the rights to them. I was told by someone from BU that the Hammer movies did not follow Lustig to BU like many other former AB titles.

Where did you get this information, Ben? Because it seems in direct contradition with what Lustig has said in interviews in the past, such as he wasn't going to re-release the Hammer films formerly released by AB on - at the time standard - dvd because they'd already saturated the market. If that doesn't indicate he actually has them, why would he make such a statement? And why would all of the films he'd negotiated come to him at AB except for the Hammer films?

We need more info to be forthcoming from BU.

cworkman
10-08-2009, 03:08 PM
By the way, Erhan, NEVER TAKE CANDY FROM A STRANGER is top-notch Hammer.

Wayne Schmidt
10-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Where di you get this information, Ben? Because it seems in direct contradition with what Lustig has said in interviews in the past, such as he wasn't going to re-release the Hammer films formerly released by AB on - at the time standard - dvd because they'd already saturated the market. If that doesn't indicate he actually has them, why would he make such a statement? And why would all of the films he'd negotiated come to him at AB except for the Hammer films?

We need more info to be forthcoming from BU.I don't have the documentation to back it up, but I was always under the impression he had the option to pick up the HV rights for the Hammers but passed, since he felt they were market saturated. It's been quite a few years since they came out . . . . I can't picture him just sitting on them if they were bought and paid for. If nothing else sell them to another interested party.

cworkman
10-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Well, then, let's hope someone purchases them from someone else so as to release them on Blu.

Ben Gart
10-09-2009, 12:35 AM
I wonder if AB was smart enough to not let the Hammers go completely - maybe it was a shared deal and if Lustig didn't release them after a certain time the rights went to AB completely.

Regarding my info, I had written BU's info contact with a question about their new NY RIPPER dvd and also suggested a new edition of DPoD. This is the reply:

"DRACULA, PRINCE OF DARKNESS is currently owned by Anchor Bay. You would have to contact them about a new Special Edition release."

cworkman
10-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Interesting. Well, I would have had more hope for a release from Blue Underground than Anchor Bay. Maybe we can all barrage AB with mail begging for a Blu-ray release of DPOD. It's the one title in the Hammer group of original AB releases that most needs a re-release, remastered (cuz the original looked like crap even at the time it came out; the trailer was far more colorful and detailed) and anamorphic. The same extras would be fine, because they were pretty cool to begin with.

Wayne Schmidt
10-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Yeah, and there's no release that's definitive, although the Italian disc comes frustratingly close. It's still timed too bright (not as bad as the UK Optimum, though). The AB was the worst of the bunch. I understand the economics of putting out dvds, but it really seems that these Hammers would sell the best on blu at this point. The hard core fans already have them (if you're like me from several regions) and to bite (pardon the pun) again really need an incentive. How many fans are blu equipped I don't know, though. I'd love to know how many the Naschy blu disc sold . . . . you could probably triple that number for the Hammers.

cworkman
10-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Yeah, and there's no release that's definitive, although the Italian disc comes frustratingly close. It's still timed too bright (not as bad as the UK Optimum, though). The AB was the worst of the bunch. I understand the economics of putting out dvds, but it really seems that these Hammers would sell the best on blu at this point. The hard core fans already have them (if you're like me from several regions) and to bite (pardon the pun) again really need an incentive. How many fans are blu equipped I don't know, though. I'd love to know how many the Naschy blu disc sold . . . . you could probably triple that number for the Hammers.

Here I am in 100% agreement with you, Wayne. I know quite a few Hammer fanatics just in my small geographic area, and I'm sure there are some I don't know about. And all of them have one thing in common: they'll buy into any format to get Hammer films. They all had bought into laserdisc for Hammer LD releases, then DVD, then R2, and now they'd buy into Blu-ray. In fact, I got an HD/BD player in part because of Warner's original announcement that they were working on the Hammers for HD release!

As I've said before, even if Warner or some other company didn't make a lot of money on the individual BD Hammer discs (though I'm sure they'd do just fine), they would win in another way. Numerous people would buy into the format to get those discs, and then they'd want to buy other things just to have additional discs to play. So, they'd help sell players and others of their own titles in the bargain. But let's face it. Warner and other companies like to hire fresh-out-of-college kids with marketing degrees who don't know shit about anything, and then make the rash assumption that only new stuff with lots of digitals sell.

By the way, I'm one of those who bought the Naschy BD, and I would have bought the rest had they come out. They looked terrific.

Wayne Schmidt
10-09-2009, 09:42 PM
What they could do is what Disney's doing with SNOW WHITE. Sell the blu with a standard def copy enclosed. That way if fans don't have a player or the dough for one right now at least they can buy the remastered copies and not have to worry about dipping yet again when or if they get a machine. You could charge $20 a pop and I don't think most fans would feel ripped off. And it can't cost THAT much more, I wouldn't think.

cworkman
10-09-2009, 11:39 PM
And at Meijers, they're offering the Blu-ray of SNOW WHITE on sale and with a free Disney Plush Princess doll. So, yah, Anchor Bay could release their Hammer films on Blu with a standard DVD copy inside for $25. It's not like they haven't made their money on these Hammer films long ago...

Scott MacDonald
10-10-2009, 11:20 AM
And at Meijers, they're offering the Blu-ray of SNOW WHITE on sale and with a free Disney Plush Princess doll. So, yah, Anchor Bay could release their Hammer films on Blu with a standard DVD copy inside for $25. It's not like they haven't made their money on these Hammer films long ago...

Can we get a Christopher Lee as Dracula plush doll as part of this deal?