PDA

View Full Version : Mexican crime tabloids

Tom F.
07-22-2009, 04:45 AM
I've been re-reading Harvey Stafford's "Muerte!" over the last couple of days, and really felt I needed to see some of those tabloids he's writing about in real.

Does anyone know where I can get copies of those newspapers (Alarma!, Peligro!, and any others that have multiple exclamation marks behind the title :p)?

Any hint would be really appreciated, or someone on this forum might even be able to get some for me (I would of course pay for the costs). I live in Luxembourg, and have no clue as to where to look for. And asking in newsstands over here just got me blank stares :rolleyes:

Tom

Phil B.
07-22-2009, 02:21 PM
I haven't seen any copies recently (I live in San Antonio), but I can keep my eyes open at the local markets. They pop up every now and then, but no promises. :)

Here are a couple links if you haven't already seen them to whet your appetite. (Warning:Graphic Content)

http://www.nuevoalarma.com.mx/

http://issuu.com/jossgoree/docs/no.883

http://issuu.com/jossgoree/docs/no.884

Jon Rollins
07-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Ouchie!

Daniel S.S.
07-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Delightful. I was gonna comment that it seemed they stay away from pictures of dead women until I clicked on the third link.

Phil B.
07-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Yeah, they don't hold anything back. I was surprised to see these at the open air markets a while back, kinda amazed they were out in the open for browsing.

Just as a disclaimer, this isn't really my cup of tea, but morbid curiosity does have a drawing power. It's been around for years, like WeeGee's work.

http://www.mdrails.com/images/weegee_hells_kitchen.jpg

Albert P
07-22-2009, 08:46 PM
I would say that you could purchase them directly from the publishers, but given the situation in Mexico right now...I wouldn't trust the Mexican mail service. If you know anyone who lives along the border in Texas, Arizona or California, you could probably cut a deal. Sorry.:(

Btw, Stafford's book is really great...and grim as f*&k!

Tom F.
07-23-2009, 05:00 AM
True, it's a tough read. I get depressed every time I finish it, but nevertheless come back to it from time to time.

Morbid curiosity has a way of getting to me, and I figure there is no use resisting it too much ;) (it made me rent out Faces of Death as soon as I had a video-store membership, and even got me to make my dad rent out Cannibal Holocaust for me when I was 16:))

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone living close to Mexico, and definitely appreciate any help I can get. So, Phil, I thank you for your offer, and if you (or anyone else) find any copies (doesn't need to be Alarma!), I would love to come up for the costs.

And thanks as well for the Weegee reminder. Had heard about him, but so far have not checked him out.

I will also check the Alarma! page (am at work now), and see what can be done through the publisher. I'll let people know if I get results (in case there is anyone else wanting to give in to their curiosity ;))

Andy Copp
07-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Do you have any Mexican or multi-cultural grocery stores in your area? I picked up a copy of Alarma! at one a year or so ago when I was there shopping for a night of Chinese cuisine I was going to cook. It was just there out in the open and having read the Muerte! book I knew exactly what it was... I haven't been back to that store since so I dunno if they still have them but I bet they do.

Tom F.
07-31-2009, 05:59 AM
Unfortunately, no Mexican grocery stores in Luxembourg. Then again, even if there were, I would have to get the guy to get it for me under the counter. I could not imagine anything as graphic displayed over here, public decency and all.

I also contacted the Nuevo Alarma! site, but no reply, and I honestly don't expect one. I don't think there is a way to subscribe to it, either you stumble across it, or you don't.

So, I will still be relying on the kindness of strangers, who are willing to pick it up for me when they see it ;) (big, subtle shout-out to all)

Albert P
07-31-2009, 10:00 PM
I also contacted the Nuevo Alarma! site, but no reply, and I honestly don't expect one. I don't think there is a way to subscribe to it, either you stumble across it, or you don't.

Mexico is in a bad spot lately, socially and economically. I'm pretty sure their mail system is none too reliable right now.

David Lopez
08-01-2009, 04:53 AM
I used to live in one of the bigger cities in Arizona, and they used to sell 'em at the neighborhood bakery just down the street from where I lived (pasteries and blood-soaked dead guys! Yum!). Don't get around to the old stomping grounds much these days, as I moved to a little flyspeck on the map little town just down the road, but I'll tell you what - the next time I am in the area, I'll pick-up a copy for you (they cost something like a buck or so, pocket change), and if you like, I'll PM you for your address and send it to you.

Deal?

Andy Copp
08-02-2009, 02:24 AM
Tom, I stopped in the little international store I found my lone copy of Muerte! at today to see if I could snag you one but they didn't carry ANY magazines at all anymore. I'll keep my eyes peeled elsewhere but I'm not feeling confident. I have no idea what happened the issue I had or I'd just send you that one.

Tom F.
08-03-2009, 06:51 AM
To you all: Thanks a lot guys, I already appreciate your efforts of looking around :)

Definitely, David, you got yourself a deal. Just PM me if you got some to send me, that would be great. And my offer out to people who ever need someone to look around for stuff over here (I pop over to France or Germany at least once a month ;))